New Home Old Water

ZeroAZ

Apr 21, 2019
Arizona
Hi Everyone, we get the keys to our new home with our first pool tomorrow. During the final walk through I grabbed a water bottle of pool water to bring home and test (K-2006) and I'm hoping to get some feedback on the results:

FC = 27.5
CC = .5
pH = 8
TA = 180
CH = 850
CYA = not even half way to the 100 mark which would make it 200+?

These results strike me as a bit off the charts. The water is nice and blue but I'm thinking its being maintained at an extreme chlorine level to accomplish that. I'm located in Arizona for context. Would love to get everyone's feedback... is my only viable option a drain and refill? I triple checked that I'm doing the tests right but I'm new at this so open to any and all ideas here.

Welcome to the forum!
I bet the CYA is higher than that. No reason to even test using the dilution method. Just plan a pretty much complete water exchange.
This time of year it is best to not drain, if this is a plaster pool. I have an exchange write up when you are ready for it.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Got it, that's really helpful. It is a plaster pool so good to know to avoid draining this time of year. I've read through the Pool Water Chemistry section and a decent amount of Pool School but definitely need to build some hands on experience. How would you recommending approaching the pool come move-in? Should I try and keep it balanced for a bit or go straight for a water exchange?

It will take time to exchange the water and get things back to balance. So you might want to just keep the FC at high levels until you have time to manage it.

Can you fill out your signature. Click on your Member name and select Signature. See mine below for an example.

Congrats on the new pool...oh and the house too!

It looks like you'll be able to enjoy the pool until you have time to get the chemistry sorted out. Nothing like a cool down after a long day of moving. Best of luck!

Reactions: ZeroAZ
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.