New home. New in ground pool. Many questions.

Mar 26, 2017
Greenville SC
Hello! So I purchased the home that originally had me join this forum and have been lurking quite a bit. The real estate agent couldn't give me exact details but from reading the FAQS I know you guys need dimensions and the liner type to help. I'm relatively positive the pool is a 20 x 40 rectangular pool and it has a vinyl liner. The variable is instead of the standard 8 foot depth, this pool is 12 feet deep on the deep end. Is that enough info to start with? I have noticed that along with the slope, the pool tapers along the sides underwater as well. The pump and liner are relatively new (Hayward model that I will get a pic of once I'm home.) There are various filters my friend mentioned at the pump that I don't know how to check or what to add, etc.

The owner's version of maintenance according to him was just run the pump constantly. Well, once I committed to purchasing he apparently left it off for 4 or more days. The water is still blue but every day since I have been running the pump on Filtration it has been refilling with stuff that I have to skim out daily. I am hoping this is only a result of the previous owner leaving the pump off multiple days. I have no problem with daily skimming but 75% of the pool (especially on one side for some reason) is always refilled with stuff that looks to me mainly plant matter. No trees within 20 feet and the pool does have a 6 foot high fence.

I also had a buddy who used to tend his parents above ground pool show me some basics. The old plastic vacuum he was showing me broke off in the pole so even though I have been skimming daily for about 4 days now, I have not been able to vacuum until a new cheap vacuum arrives via Amazon tomorrow. There is obvious sediment on the steps and a sizable underwater dark patch (6 by 3 feet or so) of something along the shallow area of the pool that I'll get with the vacuum once its in. Past that, the water is pretty blue. From reading this forum I know most pool shops are Satan but my real estate agent did suggest that I could take a sample of water to a pool shop and they would tell me what I need for free which does seem like a very good idea. I know I will need a testing kit and have looked at some of the ones offered on this site. Will a pool shop kit be as good- I imagine the main difference is theirs will likely just have crazy markup. My main concern is the pool was never officially closed (I'm in SC) and I haven't added chlorine since I closed on the home last Friday. I obviously don't want an algae problem so I'd like to get some chlorine in ASAP but don't know if I need to 'shock' or just add a standard amount. I've learned that liquid chlorine is much easier to work with and plan on using that when I do add it.

Thanks for any help and if I need to add some more direction to this rambling post, please let me know.

From reading this forum I know most pool shops are Satan but my real estate agent did suggest that I could take a sample of water to a pool shop and they would tell me what I need for free which does seem like a very good idea.
I like this meme:
dbtgallery.php

Definitely start by getting your own (proper) test kit. Either a TF-100 (XL Option) or Taylor K-2006C. The XL option and (C) models represent additional reagents which you will need to clear a pool at appears to have algae. More than likely you won't find these locally. You might find a Taylor K-2005, but it won't have the "FAS-DPD" powder & drop testing for accurate FC testing which is absolutely critical. I highly recommend the TF-100, and I can't live without my magnetic speedstir. You'll see why.

Nice to have you with us!

Would higher concentration pool bleach be detrimental?
Possibly. With a vinyl liner you need to be careful, and we don't' know your exact CYA level yet which helps to protect the liner from the chlorine.

Also, can I just pour in an entire jug without any issues?
Yes, as long as you pour the contents slowly near a return jet(s) with the pump on high. If needed, you can brush that area a few times to help the bleach disperse.

A pool that size might need a couple of jugs right away. Go ahead and buy them. You will need them soon enough. Know your levels first, though, before you add them...

Ditto on the test kit. The pool store might be helpful to get you started (while you wait for the kit to arrive) but don't learn to rely on them due to accuracy concerns. You need to know your FC, CYA, and pH right away, and they can at least give you a rough estimate quickly.

If you can dig into your equipment and list out model numbers (and pictures) for everything you have, we can help figure out what you've got. It's possible you have an automatic chlorinator somewhere in the mix. (But even after 4 days a chlorinator would be running low)

Running the pump constantly? Shouldn't be necessary once your chemical issues are ironed out - maybe just a few hours a day... There are some discussions here on that very subject.

Using a tool like this (SwimmingPool.com | Volume Calculator) if your measurements are right you're looking at almost 45K gallons, which is a lot... It's worth double-checking the measurements to know exactly what you have. It could be considerably less with the tapered sides as well.

I should have mentioned that I did have a pool inspector come out 2 weeks or so back before I closed on the home. The dolt was supposed to wait for me to arrive (I was coming from work) but left as I was pulling up. For 275$, I wont be leaving a positive review.

Would the result of that test still be relevant a few weeks out? This would have been when the owner was still actively trying to sell the home and therefore running the pump constantly. Regardless, I'll go ahead and pick up a testing kit this site offers.

Well if the pool inspection report can be believed, the pool size is actually 36 x 18 and the capacity is 18,800 gallons. The Free Chlorine as of over a month ago (test was done on March 30th) was 0.1 I'll try and post the full report when I have access to a scanner.

And I'll be buying a testing kit immediately.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cgzFIeG.png

8SUgDz0.png

Sorry for the crappy scans. This report is a month old but I highly doubt any maintenance was done between then and when I closed on the home the 28th. I'm ordering a testing kit but in the interim could I get away with putting in a gallon of chlorine until it arrives?

Can you get away with it? Sure. For some perspective, I put a gallon in every 2-3 days when no one is even using the pool (but, every pool is different)

The real question is - how effective will it be? Can't say without knowing more information. Check out the "PoolMath" tool at the top of the site, and also do a search for "Chlorine / CYA Chart", because your chlorine effectiveness depends a lot on the CYA level (which you won't know until you can test it)

The month-old report isn't going to be too valid at this point, although I would guess that your Total Alkalinity issue is still going to need to be addressed.

I encounter it on other sites too. VBulletin blames updates in the Chrome browser, but I've experienced it on several sites in several browsers.

A work-around is to type response above the quote. You can leave it there, or cut and paste it below.

The other workaround is to start typing, select all text in the reply window, cut, then paste. Space starts working again.

I just ended up shutting off the WYSIWYG editor in settings and now I'm fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Anything wrong with the Chlorox branded pool treatments at Walmart? I don't plan on using any until I can test but I was tempted to pick up their 'PH down' product since even as a month ago, the pool was more basic.

"pH Down" is nothing more than dry acid, which can be very expensive. You can get it far cheaper by buying liquid 31% muriatic acid instead. Otherwise, Clorox pool chems that have the word "XTra Blue" in them contain copper, which is a bad thing to put into your pool. If it says Xtra Blue, keep on going.

Hi neighbor!

The only things I would trust from Wal-Mart is bleach and pure CYA. Avoid anything Clorox branded if it has "Blue" in the name (contains copper). Also muratic acid is best to lower your ph. You should be able to get muriatic acid from Lowes/Home Depot, I used to until my local hardware store in TR started carrying it.

Maybe the old owner was more in the know than I thought. he has a jug of muriatic acid he left in the garage. I'll have to check the concentration.

Just bought a test kit with the XL option. Hopefully I have it by Tuesday of this coming week.

Edit: Also hey Mr Bruce! What part of Greenville are you in?

Have you added any chlorine to the pool since you took possession?

You can pick up a cheap 2-way test kit that will give you some idea if you have chlorine or not. It is not nearly good enough to maintain the pool with but it's better than no idea at all.

Post some pics of the pool and equipment pad, it can help for experienced eyes to see what equipment you have and help identify potential problems. Do you know how the previous owner chlorinated the pool? Chemicals left behind, an inline tablet feeder, bleach bottles or other clues might give some insight to how the pool was treated.

If the pool has not had any chlorine since last Friday, you must get some in there as soon as possible. Don't wait til Tuesday, that could be too late. Right now my pool consumes about 1/4 gallon of bleach per day and the water is still in the low 60's.

Travelers Rest. Between me and joshua5438, we know the good spots to get chemicals around here so feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Super close! I just moved from the Cherrydale Point area to the NW fringes of Berea. Probably within 4 miles at either location.

I also just purchased a Clorox branded test kit to hold me over until the TFT kit comes in. I really need to get some chlorine in this pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.