New Home, Green Pool

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Hello,

My daughter moved in to another home with a green pool. (algae pool). I took this project on my own, I decided to drain the 17,000 pool and power wash the walls. (done) When its time to refill, I will stay with the TFP recommendations on the chemicals? I will use the calculator for my recommendations, but do I shock the first day?

The filter system works, I will also clean the DE filter.

Thanks,

John

but do I shock the first day?
Normally no, but in this case there may be some residual algae in the lines. So here's what I would do:
1 - Add stabilizer CYA) for a starting target of 30 for now in the new water.
2 - Add chlorine to about 5 ppm.
3 - Adjust pH anywhere between 7.2-7.8.
4 - Then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you (she) pass, then there's no need for a SLAM Process to remove residual algae (if present). But if you fail the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, then continue with the instructions on the SLAM Process page.

Reactions: Newdude
Your post implied you power washed because of the algae. That won't work. You will need chlorine.

Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School to get started.

Then, post a complete set of test results from your TF-100 test kit. We'll get you started from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.