South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I'm a new pool owner and I just recently added a heat pump to my setup. I have a Jandy iAqualink system and when the system is installed the water temperature sensor was placed on one of the pipes. The pipe where it was placed happens to be on the supply line to the heat pump.

The problem I am experiencing is that the heat pump will turn on and run for about 5 minutes and then shuts off, about 30 minutes later this happens again.

I think I have a problem with the temperature sensor being on the supply line, is this the proper location for this sensor?

Thanks.

Eric,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to find the answers to all of your pool equipment questions... :shark:

Please fix your location..

It sounds correct to me... the heater needs to know the temperature of the pool water, not the temperature of the heater's output water... The heater should run until the pool water coming in reaches the temperature that you tell the heater you want.. (Set Point).

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ericsante
herm... ok that makes sense, I guess I need figure out why we're shutting down so quickly then. Do heat pumps typically have an internal thermostat that would shut down the heat pump prior to the iAqualink stopping the heat pump?

Are you sure that the sensor is in the line going into the heater and not out of the heater?

Does the temperature display change when the heater turns on?

What heat pump do you have and how is it controlled from the automation?

What does the display on the heat pump show?

Eric,

The way they are supposed to work is that the automation closes an internal switch with allows the heater to work.. The automation monitors the pool water temperature and when the pool water is at the right temperature the automation opens the switch and the heater shut off..

This assume that the heater is connected to your automation. If you just added the heater are you sure it was wired into the automation? Also, most heaters have set up menus that need to be set from heater control to remote or external control.. When in external control, the heater is generally set for max temp output at the heater control panel and this allow the automation to turn it off at the set point temperature on your automation..

Are there small wires running from the heater to your automation?

Jim R.

I have a SunBright heat pump, the heat pump is clearly labeled in/out, the temperature sensor is clearly on the IN line.

Yes, the temperature changes immediately when the heat pump turns on.

When the heat pump first turns on only the Pool Light and Heating Lights are on, once the heat exchanger kicks in the heat pump "heating light" turns on, after 30-45 seconds the heat pump shuts off and the fan stops also.

The heat pump was wired to the iAqualink pannel with 3 wires.

How much does the temperature reading on the Aqualink display change when the heat pump comes on?

Do you have a picture of the system?

What does the display on the heat pump show?

Do you have a link to the heat pump manufacturer page?

I found the problem, I just checked where the thermostat is placed and in fact it is on the "OUT" side of the heat pump.

Now that I have found the issue, I need to get a new thermostat and place it on the IN side of the heat pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.