New guy looking for help with bubblers

Brayne

Jun 18, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
First post. I am looking for some help/advice. Please note the numbers in the pics.
baffling-bubblers.jpg

1. We just closed on a home that includes this pool. Notice the bubblers in action. We live in Las Vegas. We have (Belaggio) fountain envy, but, we’re excited about our new (14 yr old) pool. I found this pic from a previous real-estate listing of our new place.

2. There are 2 places in the pool that have threaded pvc receptacles to actuate said bubblers in the pic (I took this one). These are 1 1/2” openings and I’m guessing schedule 40 pvc, standard sizing with NPT? (National Pipe Threading). The previous owners were rude and discourteous and left us no instructions nor any fittings for us to enjoy our “FOUNTAIN OF DOOM!” (My 13 year old is a little melodramatic.)

3. I found a product that tout’s itself as a “Pool Bubbler Fitting”. Since our bubbler “fittings" are on a step/deck that will be walked upon, I am guessing that this rounded, smooth piece will do the trick but I wanted to be sure.

4. Since I am a DIYer, (Hey, I’m on this website.) AND, I had (2) 1.5” pvc end plugs kicking around, I drilled some holes and tried to give the bubblers a test. The thread count doesn’t match. Not even close. I am certain of the width of the opening. Here come the questions.

Are there different thread counts for specific pool equipment?
Do I go ahead and purchase the product in the pic and hope the threads match?

Are the bubblers in the above pic actually shooting from the step or is there a small length of tube that stems from the step to the water line to get this effect?

This is a Blue Haven Pool. I contacted them and they could not help me with my dilemma.

Thank you for any insight.

Last edited:
Can you redirect all of the water to the bubbler? What happens?

In general, the smaller the effective area of the holes, the higher the water velocity exiting the jet so it will go higher. With multiple holes, it will make the jet shorter. But it also depends on redirection of any water through another return. This will lower the pressure at the bubbler and reduce the height.

Can you redirect all of the water to the bubbler? What happens?

In general, the smaller the effective area of the holes, the higher the water velocity exiting the jet so it will go higher. With multiple holes, it will make the jet shorter. But it also depends on redirection of any water through another return. This will lower the pressure at the bubbler and reduce the height.

Thanks! Yes, I got that. I feel plenty of pressure is being redirected. I have all systems pointing to the proper exit points. My question is, My homemade plug doesn't fit. And I believe that it should since it is schedule 40 pvc NPT. So, is all pool equipment (pvc) schedule 40 NPT?
Shouldn't the threads of a pvc end plug fit these pipes coming up (1 1/2" opening)?
Or is there possibly a different thread count?

Or...could it be that BOTH of these pipes inside my pool are stripped/damaged? If that's the case, are my bubblers a "pipe dream" until I could drain and repair? (Which most likely wouldn't happen as per an unreasonable cost/benefit)

Sorry, I misunderstood.

They all should be sch 40 fittings. Thread pitch could be different though. I know the venturi tee nozzles have a unique thread pitch that is not the same as common fittings. So if those bubblers are installed as a unit, the thread pitch could be different than a common plug.

Do you have a waterproof USB camera that you could inspect the threads?

These almost look to be telescoping bubblers. As high as the picture shows I don't think a screw in bubbler would get that high. A & A mfg. and Paramount are two I'm aware of that make the telescoping type. A picture of the controlling valves may help

These almost look to be telescoping bubblers. As high as the picture shows I don't think a screw in bubbler would get that high. A & A mfg. and Paramount are two I'm aware of that make the telescoping type. A picture of the controlling valves may help
I thought it was a bit deep for a "floor" bubbler. The pipes however, have threads right up to the edge. It was built in '04 if that matters at all. Here's a pic of the valve.

water-feature-valve.jpg

Agree with Kadavis. The reason that you cannot screw in your fitting is because they are not supposed to go right into the floor. You are probably missing the extender or telescoping pipe that raises the end of the pipe to just below the water surface. You have got some homework to do if you want to make these work. You need to find out what manufacturer those are and go from there.

Reactions: Brayne
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.