New guy from MN

hgsnotes

Jul 15, 2019
MN
Came here for education and help. With the heat wave hitting us I thought a pool would be a great way to cool down but then discovered the horror of filling it with our crappy well water. I bought an above ground 20' x 48" pool with a skimmer filter. So I'm filtering and trying to sort out the chemistry but it's way more of a struggle than I ever thought possible. Lots of iron, manganese, high pH, high TA, super cloudy brown water. Seems like every bug within a mile is coming for a drink and staying. I just ordered a better test kit than the test strips and will SLAM it and keep filtering. I built one of the bucket/poly fill filters running off a sump pump I had here and also using the sock method on the skimmer pump outlet. Not seeing a ton of progress yet but the filters are definitely catching plenty of brown Crud. Anyway, wish me luck.

Well hello Hgsnotes! Welcome to TFP :wave:

Good plan on the polyfil bucket.... I think over time it should help a lot.
What are you adding to the water to sanitize it?

Get a test kit - the TF-100 is one we recommend--> www.tftestkits.net This company put together a test kit with our method of pool care in mind. Its good for about 2 years of use assuming no big algae problems.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to the forum!

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
I've been reading since yesterday. And rereading. LOL
Thanks
Well hello Hgsnotes! Welcome to TFP :wave:

Good plan on the polyfil bucket.... I think over time it should help a lot.
What are you adding to the water to sanitize it?

Get a test kit - the TF-100 is one we recommend--> www.tftestkits.net This company put together a test kit with our method of pool care in mind. Its good for about 2 years of use assuming no big algae problems.

Maddie :flower:
I've added some pool shock, basically it's bleach. Haven't been able to get any FC on a test yet. I've added muriatic acid trying to get the pH down and the bucket filter will aerate as it's running to help lower TA. Will be getting more bleach today to SLAM it.

The water looks terrible but feels ok and doesn't smell. It's just going to be a challenge clearing it up.