Greg 2

Jun 30, 2019
Western Ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Plans are to close on our home with a pool on the 19th of July. I have been in several pools, owned a few blow up pools, but never an aboveground pool. This one is 30' in diameter and was told to be 30" deep. Right now it has rainwater from over the winter and some leaves and debris in it. So.... I am soaking up all the info I can to get it up and running soon after we move in. I'm thinking after hooking up the pump and whatever else has been disconnected, to fill it up with our well water, clean the debris out, and call a pro to get it up and running with proper ph, etc. It will be a month or six weeks before we get fully moved in and living there day to day. Am I on the right track? TIA . Oh, the filter looks like a huge egg, and the pump, well it looks like a pump. Sorry I cannot be more specific at this time.

You can post pictures of your equipment and we can tell you what they are. Most important is that if you are not going to be able to tender the pool daily, might as well leave a floater with several pucks in there till you are fully moved in. You can start by reading ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and buying a test kit Test Kits Compared.

Currently, it has a few feet of rainwater in it. Would it be a mistake to fill it with existing well water after removing what debris I can? I have no way of testing the makeup of the well water until we get there. Even then we will be there only a few days until we return back to Illinois.
I have been reading and absorbing what I can from the Pool School. Test kits are being ordered soon.

Do you have access to the pool now? The first step will be to remove solids (leaves, sticks, dead animals, etc...) If you can just do that before you start getting the equipment turned on, you will be ahead of the game. Make sure you take pictures! The before and afters are always fun to see. Go ahead and get a good test kit ordered.

Reactions: Greg 2
Would it be a mistake to fill it with existing well water after removing what debris I can? I have no way of testing the makeup of the well water until we get there.

I would not fill with water until you can get the equipment running. If you fill now, you are just creating a larger environment for everything growing in there. But make sure there are at least a few feet of water in the pool. You never want to completely drain an above-ground pool as it will destroy the liner.

Reactions: Greg 2
I bought a chlorine floater today and a 25 LB pound bucket of chlorine. I lucked out and walked into a place that was no longer going to support pools, only spas. He charged me only $62 for the 25-pound bucket! I think I got a great deal. I also have on order the TF-100 with XL option, the CYA test tube and CYA mixing bottle. I already have a RV soft wash brush with garden hose connection. Now as long as the owner left a skimmer on a pole and a shepherds hook I will almost be set. Oh one last item, I will soon have the results of the well water test in hand. What should I look for in reference to pool water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.