Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi,
First post so not sure if this is the right place. I've recently begun researching new pools and could use some help/opinions on what type of pool you would suggest.
If we want a sun deck/baja shelf would that exclude us from going vinyl? There is one builder that I am aware that does vinyl with the sun deck, just wondering about durability.
Salt water is ok for a gunite pool?

I'll have many more questions I'm sure but these are two to start.

By the way, we have 2 younger kids, 3 & almost 5 and my wife would prefer a pool that doesn't get too deep, max 5.5-6'. Size of pool likely to be 35-39'x15-18'.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource no matter what part of 'Jersey' you are from... :shark:

To answer your 2nd question.... Saltwater works great no matter what type of pool you decide to get.

I have a gunite saltwater pool and would not have it any other way.

I don't know much about vinyl pools, so I'll let one of our other members chime in on that question.

Old pools all had a shallow end and a deep end. A lot of pools today are called play pool and are usually 4' deep on each end with the middle being 5 or 6' deep. This allow you to play volleyball type games.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Vinyl is a whole lot cheaper and isn't prone to algae due to smooth surface. It liner would need replacing after about 10 years or more but over all cost and maintenance are lower.

I agree that a vinyl pool is much cheaper, but I can't agree with the no algae comment. You can get algae in any pool if you do not keep your chemicals in balance per the TFP standards.. You don't have to read many of our posts to know that many people with vinyl pools get algae..

Jim R.

Thanks. I'm sure proper maintenance is key, but how long could one expect a gunite salt pool to last before it would need to be refinished?

Jim,

The fact that the pool is a saltwater pool has nothing to do with how long the plaster lasts. It depends on what type of plaster is installed over the gunite and how well the chemicals are maintained. The plaster is what makes the gunite waterproof.

I would expect with a pebble type of plaster, and good maintenance, you would get 10 to 15 years, maybe more... I am by far not an expert in that area.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.