New from NC. Complete pool novice. After visiting the pool store, I am looking forward to learning to test and maintain our pool on our own

Thank you! I have read through the abc's of chemistry and ordered the TF-100 test kit and salt test strips this morning! Looking forward to learning to use it. My trip to the pool store yesterday left me with more questions than answers and $100 poorer! Completely new to pool ownership. I did some research and found a few contradictions the instructions they gave. It seems like there's a lot of knowledgeable experienced helpful people here:)

Good job on the test kit. :goodjob: Just remember the following image later as you test your own crystal-clear water and at some point visit the pool store just to watch those poor poeple at the counter receive their printout of instructions ... and the receipt.........

full

Ha ha! Our pool is a little over week old, we did 80lbs of salt, a bottle of alaecide, and shock the day it was filled. The saltwater system and pump seem to be running great. The water looks clean and clear. The strips I have showed 1ppm chlorine and low for ph(6.8), alkalinity, and calcium. We took a sample to get tested at the pool store and their readout says ph was 7.8. and ended up buying more algaecide, alkalinity plus, ph minus, calcium plus, and stabilizer. My pool holds 6900 gallons, but the truck that filled it was 6000 gallons. They had my gallons as 7700 gallons. We added water a few times with the well for 10 minutes at a time. They told me to put shock and stabilizer in my skimmer and after some reading, I'm pretty sure they want to ruin my pump so they can sell me a new one. Trust issues lol. So I must learn for myself. Id like to keep it simple and not add so many things at once that will need corrected for later.

Okay, so now you 've mentioned a few key words that give us reason to be concerned and ensure you stay on the straight & narrow TFP path .....
- Algaecides aren't much help for anything except perhaps closing in the winter. Even then, it has to be a specific type of algaecide (non-copper). Best to not use it any more.
- Pool store chemicals (TA up, pH reducer, etc) are over-priced marketing tools. No need to break the bank. See the links in my signature below for Recommended Chemicals.
- The money you save from buying expensive pool store chemicals ... the TF-100 will pay for itself. You'll see.

For now, I would practice using the PoolMath tool. There's also a Poolmath App (left menu) that many members love. Both use data programming to tell you, after loading current test results, what is needed and how much. Simply awesome tools. Make sure to use them. Practice now.

Algae is usually the #1 concern for most owners, so be familair wiht the FC/CYA Levels. You'll see a chart for SWG pools, but until your TF-100 arrives, you won't know your true CYA level, so just ensure the FC level remains in the 4-5 range, never below 2 for now.

It's also good you had water delivered since you have a well that probably has iron. Avoid that iron water as much as possible. For occasional top-offs, construct a pre-filter of sorts. Many use 5-gallon buckets with polyfill materials to catch iron before it gets into the pool. Iron, chlorine, and an elevated pH don't play well together - staining.

For your chlorine, your SWG should suffice. If you need a boost for some reason, use regular bleach. Don't use Clorox brand bleach, and avoid anything that says splashless or scented unless you want a 6900 gallon bubble bath. Regular bleach is pool chlorine - same thing.

Spend some time on those links below and post your TF-100 results when you get it. We'll coach you along. :swim:

Thank you I will review pool math and get the app. I don't see the link for recommended chemicals. I do not have any stabilizer in the pool as of yet. I have it but I was instructed to add 14 lbs of calcium over the next 3 days and stabilizer on Friday. I added 5 lbs this morning but felt i should wait to add more until I get the test kit. I have already received tracking for it so it should just be a couple days until it arrives. Thank you for your guidance.

Welcome! I haven't stepped in a pool store since I joined here a month or two ago. I have read a lot! ?

Good idea to wait on the test kit before adding anything else! I got in a bind following inaccurate fluctuating test strips and had to drain and refill. Uggh.

Once you get Your tests posted, the experts here will walk you through what needs to be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support