New from Austin, TX

Idtotx

Apr 19, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi! We are currently in the process of building our first pool in Southwest Austin, TX. I've been lurking and trying to absorb as much information as possible so I appreciate all of the advice filled posts! We have an acre lot but between septic, propane and easements we really only have a small area to build on. I'm hoping we can work out all the details and move forward!

Looking forward to e-meeting everyone!
Christy

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: After yesterday's weird stuff, are you seeing the gorgeous sunshine we are getting just south of you? :sun: Good stuff! Use our forum as much as you need to. Ask questions, post a build thread in the Under Construction sub-forum, and let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Idtotx
Thanks @Texas Splash! It really is a gorgeous day here! I'm currently struggling with the decision between a SWG pool and a standard chlorine pool. My pool builder that I've been talking to strongly suggests the standard pool. He said that he spent a lot more time maintaining his pool when he had a SWG. He won't do travertine with a salt pool either. Ugh.

Welcome to the forum!
Being anti SWCG is standard for Texas pool builders. No real data to support it, but they do not like it. If it took him more maintenance time with a SWCG versus without one, then he has no clue about water chemistry.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Idtotx
I'm currently struggling with the decision between a SWG pool and a standard chlorine pool. My pool builder that I've been talking to strongly suggests the standard pool. He said that he spent a lot more time maintaining his pool when he had a SWG. He won't do travertine with a salt pool either.
That is a common statement in some areas, and we don't quite understand why. Just ask @Jimrahbe. :) If it ends-up becoming a major issue, or the builder refuses to install it, just oversee the equipment pad design. Request a good-sized pad with adequate PVC space between items and after the filter. You can always add an SWG afterwards (DIT) if you wish. That's what I just did. :goodjob:

Check these out:

There are many more discussions on the forum. :)

Christy,

The fact that your pool builder spent more time maintaining his saltwater pool vs. a standard pool, just proves he has no idea how saltwater pools works. After a couple of years, all pools have almost as much salt as a saltwater pool. Most people think that the water in a saltwater pool is like the ocean, but it is actually more like the amount of salt in your tears.

Stone problems with saltwater pools have more to do with the quality of stone and not the salt in the saltwater.. It just make for a great scapegoat.

Given the choice of stone coping or having a saltwater pool, I would take the saltwater pool every time.. When building a pool, the way it looks seems to be the most important thing ever. Many people spend weeks trying to decide on just the right color of plaster.. They spend about 10 seconds thinking about how they plan to maintain their new pool.. Soon after the pool is built, the plaster will be forgotten, and maintenance is more and more on their minds.

I personally have three saltwater pools.. I am the pool-boy for all three.. I just would not have the time to do this if they were not saltwater pools..

I also like the feel of the saltwater.. When I get out of a standard pool, I feel like I need a shower. When I get out of my saltwater pool, I feel like I just took a shower.

What options does your pool builder recommend for the coping for a saltwater pool?

Have your pool builder take you out a show you the damage he has seen..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash