Jun 6, 2022
Lachute, Quebec
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

My spouse and I purchased our first home last fall and we are opening our inground pool for the first time.
I paid a pool guy to open it but he was no help for maintenance. We live in Quebec in the Outaouais region north west of Montreal.
Pool is keyhole shaped, 18 x 28 feet. about 7 feet deep in the deep end and around 3 in the shallow. We have gotten estimates between 15k and 17k gallons from online calculators but are not sure.
We are currently using trichlor pucks, however I plan to switch to liquid bleach as soon as I receive my k 2006 kit and can test the pool properly. The pool is equipped with a sand filter. Not sure on pump capacity, but I know it was purchased last year and I run itn 24/ 7 during the open season.
Water is currently clear

The readings I am relatively certain of from my basic OTO kit and test strips
TC 3-6 pretty sure very low CC as I do not see any noticeable shade change when doing the OTO test and my test strips also suggest TC and FC are matched closely.
PH approx 7.5 on the drop test but strips say a bit lower.
Temp 71

Readings I am less certain of since they mostly came from a pool store
TA 120 not sure why I have not tried performing the TA test on my own with the basic drop kit I got from the pool store but I will do it with the K 2006 when it arrives
Hardness 500 (test strip reading after pool store instructed me to add calcium)
CYA 30 but I added what should of brought be up to somewhere between 35-40

I do have a couple questions for anyone who has the time.
I have scrubbed and vacuumed the pool a couple of times since opening , and I have also backwashed the filter.
I find I am getting dirt on the bottom of the pool relatively quickly. The photos below were taken today and I vacuumed the pool the day before yesterday.
I should mention it has rained heavily since then. I do not know if that changes anything.

IMG_20220609_185928.jpgIMG_20220609_185723.jpgIMG_20220609_185711.jpgIMG_20220609_185653.jpg

There is also this rust colored stain on the bottom of the pool that was not present before closing last year. I suspect it is because a puck was left in the pool for a time before I noticed and fished it out. Is there any practical way of taking this stain away?
IMG_20220609_185802.jpg

Thank you for all the community has taught me already and I look forward to learning a lot more.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Now that you have the K-2006 on order, just hang tight. Don't try to do much of anything other than to add some liquid chlorine to the water each day. Once the kit arrives, we'll look for your test results and be able to give you accurate, reliable advice. Thanks for posting. Have a nice weekend.

Reactions: r0ll
Small irregularities in the vinyl floor combined with the pool circulation pattern, sometimes result in ‘debris lines’, as shown in your pictures. You don’t need to add calcium to a vinyl pool, unless you have a piece of equipment (I.e. heater) with a warranty specifying a calcium concentration range.

Reactions: r0ll