New filter won't be here for at least a week, can I run the pump with a pinhole sand filter leak?

Jackgt

Jul 6, 2019
Alpharetta, GA
Title kind of says it all. I noticed yesterday that our 16 year old Pentair Sand Dollar had sprung a pinhole leak in the seam and was shooting water into the bushes. I read enough to know that patching is not a fix, so I ordered a replacement. Unfortunately it won't be here until sometime between the 16th and 21st (7-10 days from now) and the pump has already been off for two days. Am I just stuck with having to restart a green pool in in two weeks, or can I run the pump with the leak? Alternately can I epoxy the hole just to get me by for two weeks?

And I had my water looking so pretty...

Add chlorine and brush. Get a sump pump.

The issue with a leak on a pressure vessel is catastrophic failure. Can damage property and harm people.

I assume you do not have MPV on this filter. If you do, put it on Recirculate.

Recirculate bypasses the filter. So you will not have any pressure on the filter housing.

You add liquid chlorine to at least 10-15% of your CYA level and circulate using the pump. The filter does not prevent algae, chlorine does.

Thats exactly what it does, it bypasses the filter (and the leak), but allows you to continue to move the water and distribute chemicals.

Note that you can still have a clear pool as long as you keep up the chlorine levels and move the water around via the pump (or manually stir with a brush). The filter doesnt really do anything for algae.

It will but I suggest you add liquid chlorine additionally to boost the FC a bit.

With your MPV in recirculate,your pool might get a bit cloudy, or not crystal clear still, as small debris that would normally get stuck in the filter will just blown back inot the pool, but with flow and your SWG still on, your FC will stay up, and algae will stay away. You couldtry to put some skimmer socks in the skimmer (or hair nets) as they might help get some debris out. But once you get your filter back up, the small debris will filter out in a day or so.

Side note, since you were not sure about the MPV recirc setting, do you understand all of the other settings on the MPV?

Without a filter, debris can get clogged up in the cell plates. Try to minimize the amount of debris that gets in the cell and check the cell periodically to make sure that it's not getting clogged up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the additional feedback. I know enough to backwash the filter.

Interestingly I had some electrical work done (leaky spa light and dead actuator switch) and now my salt cell says it is missing even though it’s plugged in.

Also: Thanks Fedex.

Attachments

• E65A2C38-4767-41ED-B3A7-B47A0CC80ECE.jpeg
    E65A2C38-4767-41ED-B3A7-B47A0CC80ECE.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.