New Filter On a Pool Without Ports on the Side

Madpup

May 13, 2019
Michigan
Hello. I am a new pool owner and last season bought a simple 20' round X 4' tall pool (about 10,000 gallons) to see if we enjoy pools or not. We are going to use this pool one more season and if we do like it then upgrade to a much nicer pool that does not have to come down in the winter. This season I would like to get two "upgrades" a second sand based filter and some good solar heating. I want to buy a good quality filter and solar heating system that can be used if when we buy a better permanent pool.

The pool we have just has a side mount cartridge filter (so there is just one big hole on the side and the filter mounts to this hole and dangles on the side of the pool). I would like to add a second sand based filter. The problem I am having is the pool we have does not have any ports on the side of the pool to add another filter. So I am wondering if there is some kind of conversion kit so I can run a new filter over the top edge of the pool, or if there is some kind of a kit (that works well since I am terrified to cut holes in the side of the pool) to add the necessary ports to the side of the pool to then add another filter?

The other item I would like to get is a kit to solar heat the pool. I could use a lot help with this. I have plenty of space to do a large array. I have seen 20' ones online and I can easily set up a 20'-40' array where I have the pool. I am not sure if I should run this off the new filter I want to get or on its own pump or what. I also have the same issue that the pool does not have any side ports.

Would it be possible for someone to give me some suggestions on what I should get for both a 2nd filter, how to either hook up this filter over the top edge of the pool or install side ports and how to hook up a heating system? I know this is a lot to ask as a new member but after hours of searching on-line I just can't figure out the best way to proceed.

Thank you!

I have no experience at all with above ground pools but others on the forum do. Lets see if this bump gets their attention.

Take care.

My first pool was an Intex seasonal pool with a skimmer that hung over the side. The hose ran through a port in the pool wall. It needed adjusting each time the water level changed. A through the wall skimmer is much more effective. I would build a cardboard template and practice cutting it with the template, and then use the template to do the cut on the pool wall. You can add duct tape along the cut line if you want. Just remove it before you put the new filter on. You'll need to drain the water below the bottom of the new hole before you cut. I've cut holes in two liners to install skimmers. As long as you think about what you're doing and have a good template, it isn't that scary.

Last edited:
I have not set up the pool yet (i took it down for the winter) but I will get it set up and post some pictures this weekend. I am just trying to buy everything I need and every filter I am seeing on-line hooks up via side ports on the pool and my pool only has the one big hole for the side mount skimmer filter. Is there a kit or something I can buy that would allow me to cut the side ports into the pool or would that not work since it would not be reinforced where I was cutting? If I can't cut the ports into the side is there some kind of adapter that would hook up to the top rail of the pool so I can just go up and over the top of the pool with the intake and output from a new sand filter?

Thank you all again!

P.S. This is not the exact pool because the one I got was 20' round but it is basically like this one: https://www.menards.com/main/health...80-c-10137.htm?tid=8840734757865966069&ipos=5

sorry to keep asking more questions (i just joined the forum and don't want to get kicked out already). My goal is to not eliminate the existing skimmer and pump that came with the pool and use it as the pump for a solar heater. I really want to add a secondary sand pump. Would it be advisable to pick up something like this (https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/IS1091LX.pdf?fromCDN=true) and cut into the liner to install it, or would that just cause the liner to rip / split and fail? If cutting into the liner would not work do they sell something that just goes over the top of the pool for the inlet and return? I have looked all over with no luck so I am guessing they do not sell something and I would have to make something out of PVC pipe.

If you reuse the skimmer for solar axe the filter, it is not big enough and anything else is better.

I would use the new pump for the solar as well, your old pump has no power and might not move enough for the solar as well.

I have that hayward skimmer on my pool, just cut with a razor blade and install, really easy. Then pick up a second return bulkhead fitting and do the same if you are using your old pump for solar.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.