New Filter and Pump too big?

RJohnson758

Jun 7, 2021
Bucks County PA
Hello all! I’m new to TFP and am struggling with questions regarding my decision to but a new sand filter and pump. I am working up to being a novice on this stuff and appreciate any help/information anyone has to offer. I bought our 21’ above ground pool (4.5 ft) from a local store a few years ago (sadly probably the last pool they sold before going out of business) and we have a a Doughboy 1 hp pump and a filter that may or may not be matched properly. Always had some leakage with filter around collar, so I was never really happy. Vacuuming was always a problem as the pump never seemed to draw enough for it to work. This year it’s shot and we decided to buy a Hayward 18” filter and 1.5 hp Hayward pump from Amazon.

I have 9 feet of 1.5 inch tubing running from the filter/pump to the pool. Based on a lot of reading, it seems like a 1 hp might be enough, but my question is whether the pump I bought is too big and might cause problems in filtering overall. I was hoping the extra power would help with our poor cvacumning. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to TFP :)

It will work just fine.. A 2 speed or VS would work better but they are way more expensive.. it will just cost you more to run it than the 1hp you had.. You will probably have to run your water higher on the skimmer than you had before... You can also put another connection in the side for a dedicated vacuum hose using a Jandy valve.. You could also put in another skimmer that would help a lot.. :)

Depending on what Doughboy pump you had that new 1.5 might perform exactly the same.

I vacuumed for many years using a 1HP pump and it was more than enough power. What problems are you having?

You have to go slow and not stir up the dirt regardless of what system or vacuum you use and it's best if you do it from the outside of the pool so your feet aren't stirring up dirt.
Even if you go slow, a very dirty pool often needs to be done twice.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

My vacuuming style, and lack of patience may be part of the problem. I typically make sure the hose is filled w/ water, push it into the outlet tube for the skimmer, which almost immediately results in the filter basket to drain of water which never seems to catch up with itself and provide a continuous strong suction. The suction seems very weak and I typically have to keep going back to get everything. I go slow as I can so as not to stir up too much, and do it from the outside. I was just hopeful that something stronger might create enough suction to improve things.

Another connection for the vacuum might be a good solution as there will always be plenty of water continuing to go to the pump.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

My vacuuming style, and lack of patience may be part of the problem. I typically make sure the hose is filled w/ water, push it into the outlet tube for the skimmer, which almost immediately results in the filter basket to drain of water which never seems to catch up with itself and provide a continuous strong suction. The suction seems very weak and I typically have to keep going back to get everything. I go slow as I can so as not to stir up too much, and do it from the outside. I was just hopeful that something stronger might create enough suction to improve things.

Another connection for the vacuum might be a good solution as there will always be plenty of water continuing to go to the pump.

Thanks again!

I blow the air out of the vacuum hose using the return in the pool. Just put the vacuum with the hose on it in the pool and let it sink to the bottom, then hold the other end against the return and let it blow the air out. The vacuum will likely float to the top of the pool and then sink back down when the air is out. Then, without letting the hose come out of the water at all, move over and connect it. That should get most of the air out. If the pump gets a little air in the basket it doesn't matter but you want it at least 3/4 full of water or more. If you can see the water pouring out of the hose down into the pump basket, that's not really a good enough prime to vacuum. You want the water line almost to the cover of the pump I'd say.

I've tried the "Push the hose under the water" method to get air out and that just seemed ridiculous to me so I only did it once and went back to the old way.

I blow the air out of the vacuum hose using the return in the pool. Just put the vacuum with the hose on it in the pool and let it sink to the bottom, then hold the other end against the return and let it blow the air out. The vacuum will likely float to the top of the pool and then sink back down when the air is out. Then, without letting the hose come out of the water at all, move over and connect it. That should get most of the air out. If the pump gets a little air in the basket it doesn't matter but you want it at least 3/4 full of water or more. If you can see the water pouring out of the hose down into the pump basket, that's not really a good enough prime to vacuum. You want the water line almost to the cover of the pump I'd say.

I've tried the "Push the hose under the water" method to get air out and that just seemed ridiculous to me so I only did it once and went back to the old way.
Thank you... based on how you explained it, I think I may be letting too much air stay in the hose when I start to vacuum... the hose never fully sinks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.