New fill - Can’t get FC up

George0506

Bronze Supporter
May 15, 2017
Harleysville, PA
I just refilled the pool after coping and tile work and can’t seem to get the FC up. I’ve added 4 gallons of bleach over the past 24 hours and I’m still getting no reading. CYA is under 30. pH is 7.4, TA is 100. Water is starting to get cloudy so I’m trying to correct it ASAP. Thoughts?

Let's talk about how often you are testing. You should add your liquid chlorine to get you up to 6 PPM per PoolMath and test 30 minutes later. If it's already 0, add again and test it after 15 minutes. That should at least give you some confidence in your testing, in which you have none now. You have a good test kit so that's a great start.

Bottom line is your pool has algae (that's the cloudiness). You need to perform a SLAM Process. Getting CYA and pH levels correct per the link are key before starting.

Since you just filled your pool, your CYA is easily calculated based on how much CYA you've added. Fill water has 0 CYA. How much CYA have you added to your 22,000 gallon pool?

If you haven't added any, your CYA is 0, and at 0, FC gets burned off VERY quickly.

Reactions: George0506
Definitely not testing 30 minutes after. I didn't think that was enough time for the chlorine to circulate.

I added 6 lbs of dry stabilizer so far. My test tube only goes to 30, so it's below that. Maybe 20-30. I just ordered more CYA reagent since mine expired last fall. I'll retest when it arrives.

I just picked up some 10% pool chlorine. Time to start the SLAM. Thanks for the quick response!

Per Pool Math, your CYA is close to 30 so that's the number to use on the FC/CYA chart, which gives you a SLAM FC level of 12. BTW - As long as you are pretty confident in your pool size of 22K, then what you see on the CYA test IS what 30 looks like (so long as the CYA has been dissolved for more than 24 hours - because it is slower to show on tests than other chemicals). The dot is still slightly visible in actuality for the correct reading if you look for more than a glance. pH is already in range so go ahead and start the SLAM! Follow the instructions closely. Some folks assume some steps are optional for them! :)

Certainly not atypical. Stay the course. Clearly still algae in the water. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.