New fiberglass pool stain?

AggieTexan09

Jun 1, 2019
Houston
Hi everyone, We are about 10 days post new fiberglass pool fill and have been working on balancing out the chemistry. The pool is clear and clean and we have been using it for the past six or seven days now and everything is been fine however I noticed yesterday that there was what appeared to be a light black film that would raise up and down the waterline with the water and this morning it appears to have dried on to the surface above the waterline.it appears to be coming off with a light scrubbing with a paper towel and while I have read through some of the pool staining threads and elsewhere on the Internet, there are not very many good comparisons with photos. I did do a about 10% water exchange yesterday to lower my salt down a little bit. I also have been lowering the pH and recently had it down to 7.2 to try and lower my ETA and it has raise back up to about 7.6 to 7.7. We did Have some pool toys with a lot of black color for the past two days though we remove them when we are out of the pool. Any ideas? Thanks!

Current Pool Chemistry:

FC: 3.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 160
CH: 110
CYA: 45 (just added liquid CYA to bring it up to 70)
Salt: 3200
Water Temp: 87
CSI: -.150

Attachments

• EA235A5C-C51A-4D23-94AC-BF5AAA96C842.jpeg
    EA235A5C-C51A-4D23-94AC-BF5AAA96C842.jpeg
    661.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2FA0CD86-63B2-4E18-9726-850F036E1624.jpeg
    2FA0CD86-63B2-4E18-9726-850F036E1624.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 26
I forgot to mention it did rain a bit yesterday morning (for the first time since we got the pool). We did have a lawn mower/weed eater in our back yard yesterday (also for the first time since the pool went in). No sunscreen or lotion or bleach with additives, but maybe some hair mousse?

Any skin or hair products can leave scum.

You do not have waterline tile so cleaning the waterline will be a task you will have.

Reactions: AggieTexan09
Any skin or hair products can leave scum.

You do not have waterline tile so cleaning the waterline will be a task you will have.
Thank you for the prompt replies! It appears it is likely the hair product which brings me to my next question, what's the recommend product to remove scum from fiberglass pools? A pool specific cleaner or perhaps something like Clorox?

I use Simple Green in my skimmer, etc. If bleach will take it off that is fine.

When you need to use liquid chlorine, do not use Clorox. There are additives in all their products. Plain, generic, bleach.

Our pool just went in on the 1st and we have the same thing. The maintenance manual from Sun Pools says you can clean with Soft Scrub. Our concrete hasn’t been poured yet (frustrated about that) though so I’m waiting for that to be wrapped up before I attempt it. I think a lot of it is dust from the rock they backfilled with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.