New family to above ground pool - need some help!

Nldutton

May 30, 2020
boise id
Hi! I've been doing tons of reading and appreciate all the posts and thread responses. Being new, I am not sure quite where to start.

We picked up a used Summer Escapes pool last year, and with it came the standard pool pump (330 g/hr with a small paper filter). I calculated it should be about 3500 gallons max being 14' round with a depth of 32". I had hoped to transition to a larger pool this year with a sand filter, but everything was sold out by the time I made that decision.

So at this point, I am trying to get this pool up and running and solid for this season, with a plan to upgrade next year on package that includes everything (so I am trying not to invest in something that I may not use after this summer). I did order a pump that can filter 1000 gph and hope to have it tomorrow. Now that you have some backstory, I'll start with my questions...

I took a sample into our local pool store and they suggested I add 2#s of granulated chlorine (which I dissolved in a bucket and put into the pool) and I added 1/4 pound of stabilizer 3 days ago.

I am using the clorox test strips, as I was told I didn't need to use the drop kit and all I can is that all of my test readings are low: low hardness, very low total chlorine and low free chlorine. pH is 6.2 and total alkalinity is very low.

It has been very hot here in Boise, and my kids are in the pool everyday. I added an additional 3 # of Clorox shock to the pool last night assuming we would need to stay out of the pool for a few days and to get the chlorine levels raised. The pool is very cloudy and still no free chlorine is showing.

At this point, what do I need to do? Does pH and alkalinity need to be correct prior to get chlorine right? Or does chlorine affect the pH and I should target correcting chlorine first? Should I wait for the new pump to arrive and run it continuously to get out the particulates in the pool? Drain and refill and start over? As you can see, I am spinning in frustrated circles right now...tough bc I had an in-ground pool growing up and we had little problem keeping things right. And now that my kids have no camps and are out of school, the pool may be our lifesaver this summer (if I can get it right)

And I assume I need to keep everyone out of the pool right now??
Thank you!!

At this point, what do I need to do?
Test your own water with a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. See Test Kits Compared. Welcome to TFP! :wave: I recommend the TF-100. Test strips are horrible, and right behind that is the pool store testing and advice. Anyone who says you don't need a good drop test kit doesn't know water testing. So once you have your own proper test kit, post a full set of results and we'll be glad to help.

Don't use anymore of those pool store packages of shock and stuff. Just get some liquid pool chlorine or regular bleach (same thing), use our PoolMath APP, and keep about 3-4 ppm of FC in the water each day for now. Do not add any other pool store powders, liquids, or other all-in-one products. With accurate test results, we can help you keep that water crystal clear and sanitary (safe).

Make sure to read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links below in my signature. All of those will help you as well.

OK, I have some test results:
pH: 6.5
Alkalinity: 0
Stabilizer: 130
Chlorine still showing 0

I understand I need to raise pH and alkalinity...how much soda ash and baking soda do I add?
And do I need to do that before adding chlorine? (and how much chlorine)
thank you!!:)

If that CYA of 130 is accurate, that's what needs to be addressed first. It's way too high from repeated use chlorine tabs/pucks and/or bags of shock on the shelf. The only way to lower CYA is a partial water exchange. Easy math - exchanging 50% of your water will lower the CYA in half. I would get the CYA down to about 50 before adding chemicals that will only go out to the lawn. Once you lower the CYA and know it's down to about 50, then increase the FC and keep it balanced as seen on the FC/CYA Levels. If the pH and/or TA are still low, you'll need to increase those as well. A combination of baking soda, soda ash (washing soda) and/or other items can help. See the Recommended Chemicals link in my signature for choices and how to add. In all cases, make sure to use the PoolMath APP to help with dosages.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.