New equipement chemistry goes wacky

ualpow

Apr 5, 2009
Land O'Lakes/Florida
I have used this forum and the BBB method for many years in my Plainfield Illinois home with never a problem. We moved to a Florida home with and IG pool in August of 2017.
The 1-1/4HP pump went out during the first year and was replaced under the home warranty. They put in a 2.2HP pump. After that I always had trouble with my Navigator pool cleaner. It would get blown around the pool no matter how I adjusted the valves or the return eyes. I didn't have a problem with pool chemistry except that the PH would always creep up past 8 (we only use the waterfall occasionally when we are in the pool)
Last week the 2.2HP pump went out so I bought the Pentair Super Flow VS , a Clean and Clear 100 filter and a flow meter so I could more accurately program the pump. Then the big mistake, I brought a sample into Pinch-A-Loaf to have tested. I was just going to buy salt but I thought I would bring a sample anyway. My FC was at 1, PH 8, Alkalinity 100, CYA 50, Hardness 195 and Salt at 2000 which was why I went to the store.
She said to add the salt, 2 cups muriatic, 2 bags of shock, 5.3lbs Calcium increase. I also added 2lbs of stabilizer. She also told me to turn the SWG up to 40 even after I told her my pool was only 8000 gal and I would be running the pump 24/7. That was on 1/22/19.
So....My OTO Chlorine test now turns orange. The DPD test showed 30. PH turns purple. everything else is in range. After I saw the orange chlorine test I shut off the SWG. (I had been running the 2.2HP pump for 6hr with SWG at 15 )
I don't know what to do about the chlorine level. I have the pump running 24hrs and haven't had SWG on for a few days now. The water is clear but I can smell the chlorine. What do you think I should do?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
U,

Step 1.. QUIT GOING TO A POOL STORE!!! ;)

Step 2... Relax, your FC level will come down all by itself in a few days..

I would not use the pool until the FC drops below shock level for your CYA...

Thanks,

Jim R.

ualpow

Apr 5, 2009
Land O'Lakes/Florida
Update. I got my new Taylor test kit today. FC still tests 30ppm, PH 8, Alkalinity 120, CYA is 100, Hardness 320.
Is there anything I can do to drop the FC faster? I have the pump running 24/7. 4hr@3000rpm, 7hr@1700rpm and 13hr@1400rpm.
I don't plane on running it 24/7 forever. I will reprogram it once I figure out how I am going to make sure the SWG cant come on when the pump is off and not rely on the flow switch.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
With cooler temps and reduced sunlight, it will take a long time for FC to drop to something reasonable. There are chlorine reducers available at the pool store. Imagine that -- they can create a problem and then sell you a cure! How it works and how well it works, I couldn't tell you. I'm only aware of the existence of these products. I've never used them.

ualpow

Apr 5, 2009
Land O'Lakes/Florida
I drained about 8" of water and refilled. I let it circulate overnight and tested it this afternoon.
CL 30
FC .5
TA 120
PH 7.4
CH 300
CYA 90
Water temp 71
Should I keep waiting with the SWG off or use something to drop the Chlorine level. It's taking a long time to come down on it's own.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
A CL of 30 with a CYA of 90+ is safe and perfectly fine. No reason to kill good chlorine. Just monitor it.

What FC level do you want to maintain your pool water at?

Last edited:

Demegrad9

May 27, 2017
Coventry, CT
I drained about 8" of water and refilled. I let it circulate overnight and tested it this afternoon.
CL 30
FC .5
TA 120
PH 7.4
CH 300
CYA 90
Water temp 71
Should I keep waiting with the SWG off or use something to drop the Chlorine level. It's taking a long time to come down on it's own.
Wait a minute.... What test kit are you using? You mention a Taylor kit, but not which model.

Are you saying your total chlorine level is 30ppm but Free Chlorine is only 0.5?

ualpow

Apr 5, 2009
Land O'Lakes/Florida
I'm using the K-2006-SALT.
I apologize, I did mistype my free chlorine. Here are my current levels.
Free Chlorine 25
Combined Chlorine .5
PH 7.6
Alkalinity 120
Hardness 300
CYA 80

Other Threads of Interest