New Divot in wall of old vinyl pool

tomorrowlooksgood

May 19, 2020
Charleston, SC
Hi all! I just found the forums the other day here when I was researching SWG pool info. Now I’ve got a new issue. This week while swimming I pushed off the pool wall and felt it give way. It opened a divot about 6-7 inches in diameter and about 2” deep in the center. It’s about a foot from the surface on the vertical wall. Reading about divots it seems they are pretty common on the floors of newer pools but we’ve been in this house about 8 months and I think the liner is 2 years old or so. From my research the past few days it sounds like there should be a metal wall but it sure doesn’t feel like it. I’ve put the best picture of it below.

I’m not worried about the aesthetics, just springing a leak since it feels pretty soft behind the divot. Should I be concerned or just let it go?

Thanks!

Attachments

• F5BD461B-B82F-4658-BED0-CA67E42FFA55.jpeg
    F5BD461B-B82F-4658-BED0-CA67E42FFA55.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 9
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yeah, you left a bit of a footprint on the launch pad after take-off on that one. :poke: I wonder if by pressing-in like you did, the sheet metal perhaps bulged outwards slightly further than the line winch is why you feel a slight gap and softness? Not sure there's much you can do in that scenario without unobstructed access behind the wall. Wouldn't it be nice if all you had to do was place a super strong magnet against that divot and pull it back inward? Wishful thinking I suppose.

Thanks! I figured it out last weekend...I worked up the courage to drain it down to about the level of the divot, figured out how to remove the liner in that spot and....there used to be a light in that location in a previous pool's life. I guess when they redid the liner last time it wasn't working or whatever but there was just a metal patch in that spot that gave way. I was able to slip a new piece of galvanized sheet metal over the hole and all's good!

• Wow
Reactions: Texas Splash
and....there used to be a light in that location in a previous pool's life.
No kidding? What are the odds of that? Especially that one day you would just happen to push-off from that spot. That's crazy. Glad you got it worked out though. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.