Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
“Take off the white strip,” they said.

“It’s really leftover from the concrete coping mold,” they said.

“It will look great,” they said.

:cry::cry::cry:

“They” never mentioned there would be a huge gap between the top of the tile and the coping.

“They” never mentioned that instead of properly patching and preparing this area or God forbid, running another row of tile over it, that “they” were going to take the very expensive caulk - request even more - and fill in this gaping hole. All. The. Way. Around. The. Perimeter. At least an inch thick and an inch tall.

Thus continues the saga of the Pool of Doom Renovation.

Now “they” aren’t doing anything about it. “They said they would come and reinstall the tile that has fallen off. REALLY?

But seriously, what can “they” possibly do? Strip off the whole waterline, purchase more very expensive tile and install it again for the third time?? That’ll be the day. This guy was paid last October. Unfortunately in full.

Unfortunately it was not easy to see when this project was “completed.” I was sick and unable to crouch down and inspect the job or get into the pool to inspect. Dumb dumb dumb. I knew the job was far from perfect, but I couldn’t see the huge caulk line. Now ALL the caulk is curling off - around the entire perimeter. It’s horrible. HORRIBLE. Plus cracked tiles in many areas and one section where they are completely coming off.

These are photos right after we filled the pool last October. I saw the caulk line then, questioned it, but it looked fine and I was told it was “fine.”E5456ED5-C881-406E-8245-E0950C7F2BF1.jpeg9D2A72AA-0F87-453C-8E17-3636B030993F.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the only bright idea I’ve had. Has anyone ever seen these strips installed? I’m concerned it will look like a neon ring around the pool. The coping doesn’t have much of an angle, but most of the strip will be obscured during daylight. The size will be just about perfect to close the gap. Thoughts?? Would love any and all feedback.1FE46EBD-A527-408E-80B7-5C4B718718D3.jpegB144E7C1-BAEA-42B9-A715-6EAA2DC02B8F.jpeg

Last edited:
That is just shoddy workmanship. They need to fix it. The tile falling off is not related to the caulking.. other than they may have been done by the same person (?). If you look a that pic of your original tile there is a piece of white molding that old tile fit under. They should have put something in like it. I wonder if the tiler was more accustomed to doing bathrooms and didn't use the correct materials for a pool environment.

That is just shoddy workmanship. They need to fix it. The tile falling off is not related to the caulking.. other than they may have been done by the same person (?). If you look a that pic of your original tile there is a piece of white molding that old tile fit under. They should have put something in like it. I wonder if the tiler was more accustomed to doing bathrooms and didn't use the correct materials for a pool environment.
Agreed and agreed. This guy (our second tile installer hired) apparently has lots of experience with pools - though I suspect never this brand of glass tile. Our finish contractor recommended him, and because we love him and his work, went solely on his recommendation. The white strip in the photo is a piece leftover from the mold for the coping - it’s not supposed to be left in the pool, although now I wish I had. Anyway, thanks for commenting. I totally agree with you.

I have a similar strip in my pool that the top line of tile sits under, just under the cantilever deck.. its been there for 30 years. Obviously the caulking he used wasn't designed for this environment. And I bet the wrong kind adhesive for your tile was used... BTW. I really like your pool. I've seen some cool things done with lap pools.

Reactions: AmyJo
I have a similar strip in my pool that the top line of tile sits under, just under the cantilever deck.. its been there for 30 years. Obviously the caulking he used wasn't designed for this environment. And I bet the wrong kind adhesive for your tile was used... BTW. I really like your pool. I've seen some cool things done with lap pools.
The caulk is a Laticrete product recommended for use with pools - but obviously not for 1” width x depth! *Sigh*
Thank you for your kind words. This was supposed to have been a “simple” renovation.

I have the same strip on my 30yr old pool that is now brittle and breaking. Asked how to repair on another thread and this was the answers” “ It’s cantilever form waste, but also a dam to keep water from getting under the deck. You can remove it entirely or in part & fill spot with a pliable mastic, like sika brand products.”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@kimkats This is the Atlanta pool with my beautiful glass tile. 😞
This is the day after the tile was replaced and filled with water for an event that night. This is the only photo I have of the finished pool. Guess I need to take one! None of these people are me btw 😆
IMG_2728.jpegIMG_2729.jpeg

I has such a HUGE sad for you it is not even funny GURRRRRRRRRRRRRR I SO remember your pool and all of the work done to it way back when. UNREAL how they messed up your tile! It was SO pretty. At least it looks like the pretty black/white was put on by skilled people. LOVE how they did the steps!

I has such a HUGE sad for you it is not even funny GURRRRRRRRRRRRRR I SO remember your pool and all of the work done to it way back when. UNREAL how they messed up your tile! It was SO pretty. At least it looks like the pretty black/white was put on by skilled people. LOVE how they did the steps!
THANK YOU for your kind words! BSame tile guy unfortunately (the work was under warranty). He got so mad at me for pointing out issues during the process and wasn’t listening to me AGAIN. He walked off the job on a Saturday (I had a pre planned event there the next Tuesday evening). The PB finally got him to come back that Monday and he agreed on two conditions - if I wouldn’t SPEAK to him or LOOK at him. Agggh! So that whole Monday I’m peeking through the draperies, sneaking photos and then texting the PB - and the guy STILL messed up my pattern on those steps!! My husband says he’s expecting to notice any day that I’ve ripped out the bad areas and am redoing it myself.

agreed on two conditions - if I wouldn’t SPEAK to him or LOOK at him.
SAY WHAT????????? gurrrrrrr and sigh......................
and the guy STILL messed up my pattern on those steps!!
HOW? It looks great so I can't really "see" what is wrong.
My husband says he’s expecting to notice any day that I’ve ripped out the bad areas and am redoing it myself.
I sure would not put it past you! At least you will know it is how YOU want it and RIGHT!

I just have to say, I really like that black and white tile. The pool has has such a cool retro look that's SO unique and clean. I absolutely love it!
Thank you! It’s been a crazy journey and nice to read that someone likes it! It was a big compromise, but I’m happy with it.
Just hope the sharp corners on the steps don’t hurt anyone. Haven’t been in it since it was completed last September 🤦‍♀️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.