Apr 9, 2020
Claremore, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hi all,
Finally got around to installing CORE 55 SWCG and new circupool 1.5hp VSP.
Kept it about same distance from pool as I do not want to dig more and to keep costs down. Still fine tuning chemistries.
Current FC is 4 (been using LC), pH is 7.2 (TA is still 140; used muriatic acid to bring down pH and trying to aerate, but TA still high and pH not coming up). Salinity is 3400; CH is 140 and CYA is up tp 50.

Working on juggling pH and TA. Want CYA to be 60-70 and will add a little more salt before I start the cell.

Got to replace wall fitting for return jet as it was gooped up with original flex pipe and I think threads stripped a little trying to remove it.

Couple things to help with:
- any other tricks to try to get TA down a little?
- when you get build up of some air in the filter, does that indicate a suction side leak? I guess I could do shaving cream test on all joints?

Thanks for your replies

SWCG2.jpegSWCG1.jpeg

Couple things to help with:
- any other tricks to try to get TA down a little?
Manage pH to keep it in the 7s. When you get to 8, then reduce it. Don't try to reduce TA, it will come down over time with pH management.
- when you get build up of some air in the filter, does that indicate a suction side leak? I guess I could do shaving cream test on all joints?
VSPs tend to get some air in them running at low speed. We speculate that at low RPM, the lid allows some air in. I run low speed all day, and get a silver dollar air bubble, then use the VSP program to run at high speed for a short time to clear it once a day. It is just a thing.

Cool, thanks. I still have it running on default program....haven't gotten around to messing with it much. Just some air coming out when bleeding once a day. No bubbles noted in collection basket.

Reactions: markayash
Poolstored,
The air I'm talking about is at the top of the cartridge filter, not the basket pump strainer. I open the air/pressure valve at top of filter and most of the time water comes right out, but once a day, it seems air is expressed for about 3-4 secs. I'm worried about air pressure building up and possibly exploding the filter.

Poolstored,
The air I'm talking about is at the top of the cartridge filter, not the basket pump strainer. I open the air/pressure valve at top of filter and most of the time water comes right out, but once a day, it seems air is expressed for about 3-4 secs. I'm worried about air pressure building up and possibly exploding the filter.
Air pressure won't explode the filter. Do you get any air in the pump basket lid? Do you ever lose prime?

No loss of prime and no bubbles or air detected in pump basket lid... just find that once a day when I bleed the pressure release on filter, I get about 3-4 secs of air coming out before water. Just worried about that

From 1st pics, I had a leak in the 45 degree elbow, so after removing it, I had to use a 90 degree to keep everything in line. I am making some permament supports for return pipes.
Frustrating thing is I continue to have leak from threaded side of the 2 to 1 1/2 reducer and where ball valve attaches to wall fitting. Changed wall fitting and did tape then pipe compound, and still leaks.
But its only like a drop every 5 secs so trying not to let it bother me lol. Maybe a bad ball valve... or maybe just the nature of the beast with plastic threads. Got chemistries lined up, so turning on CORE today!!!

Attachments

• pipe redux.jpeg
    pipe redux.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Newdude
2 quick questions.
1) TA: Pool school mentions 60-80 TA as ideal with SWCG. After reading a lot of posts through the years, I've seen "just let it come down or balance out" (mine has been around 120-130), but then others say you need TA down along with CSI to prevent scaling on the cell.
I have had to use MA a couple times to bring pH down but TA has never budged. In the overall scheme of things, how much concern should be given to a higher than ideal TA, if all other chemistries are good and stable?
2) VSP. I am getting ready to program pump to run 24/7, but concerned with low flow (1500 RPM) increasing the "air pocket" in the pump basket, as PoolStored mentioned above, and causing pump to lose prime, especially if I am out of town for a while. How long do you have pump run and at what speed to offset this and would 1 cycle per day be enough?

Thank you for your responses

VSP. I am getting ready to program pump to run 24/7, but concerned with low flow (1500 RPM) increasing the "air pocket" in the pump basket, as PoolStored mentioned above, and causing pump to lose prime, especially if I am out of town for a while. How long do you have pump run and at what speed to offset this and would 1 cycle per day be enough?
I have one, 15 minute program at 3000RPM every day to clear it. I don't come anywhere near losing prime. Water bubble no bigger than a silver dollar pancake.

TA: Pool school mentions 60-80 TA as ideal with SWCG. After reading a lot of posts through the years, I've seen "just let it come down or balance out" (mine has been around 120-130), but then others say you need TA down along with CSI to prevent scaling on the cell.
I have had to use MA a couple times to bring pH down but TA has never budged. In the overall scheme of things, how much concern should be given to a higher than ideal TA, if all other chemistries are good and stable?
Are you using pool math? Do you have CSI enabled? What is your CSI...?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just signed up for premium pool math so haven't done it with CSI yet, but will post it when I get it. So with premium, can I post all my test results under my name so I don't have to type everything out?

I just signed up for premium pool math so haven't done it with CSI yet, but will post it when I get it. So with premium, can I post all my test results under my name so I don't have to type everything out?
Make sure you are logged into PM with your TFP UID/Password.
Home screen.
Gear in upper right.
Scroll to bottom.
Enable Sharing with TFP...

Got poolmath to show my logs. Everything looks ok, but salinity went down, it was at 3500 (500 change seems like a big decrease from putting salt in 3 weeks ago)...
and of course, it tells me TA is out of rec range.

Poolstored,
Air and water pressure is the same. Your filter pressure gauge measures total pressure of the system. What is really happening is that if you have too much air in the filter is that it lowers the water level of in the filter. so if you have 150ft2 filter, then you may have only 75% of it covered in water - so you are really not making effective use of your filter. That is why it is important to bleed the air off so all the filter grids are covered in water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.