New Coping / Tile Remodel?

TexMontana

Aug 1, 2021
Texas
Seeking some remodel expertise. I am having new travertine coping and glass tiles installed in my 17 year old pool. My concern is that the company we hired to do the remodel is leaving a 3/4 inch mortar joint just below the coping. I also noticed he did not tighten up the corners where the glass tiles meet but is using mortar once again to bridge the gap around the turns. I would have to believe that this is going to cause issues down the road with water getting behind the glass tiles. The mortar line in my opinion is an eye sore and does not depict clean competent work. Can someone please elaborate as to why this is or is not OK to leave a mortar joint of this size below the coping. Every pic I have ever seen of pool tile... it is installed directly below the coping with maybe just enough room for an epoxy grout. Prior to this remodel our old tiles were directly below the coping. I have attached some pics. Thanks in advance for any input.

p2.jpgp3.jpgP1.jpg

Last edited:

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
That is not the way.. every single one of those will crack and break out... Those are perimeter joints and HAVE to be installed using flexible material.. You can use 1 of 2 options below..

Sika 1A

Dock-o-seal

1627843887375.png

They should know this and they need to remove all that grout and start over... it also should not be more than 1/2 from tile to coping...

All the grout inside the black lines with arrow needs to be removed and 1 of the 2 options above used.. The Sikaflex has this color also so it should match fairly well...

1627844567529.png

I hope this helps :)

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 4

TexMontana

Aug 1, 2021
Texas
That is not the way.. every single one of those will crack and break out... Those are perimeter joints and HAVE to be installed using flexible material.. You can use 1 of 2 options below..

Sika 1A

Dock-o-seal

View attachment 360579

They should know this and they need to remove all that grout and start over... it also should not be more than 1/2 from tile to coping...

All the grout inside the black lines with arrow needs to be removed and 1 of the 2 options above used.. The Sikaflex has this color also so it should match fairly well...

View attachment 360584

I hope this helps :)

I sincerely appreciate the reply. I figured this was the case. Looks like the cheapest way of doing it but not the correct way. Is it even possible to remove those areas of mortar without damaging the tile or do you feel all of the tile needs to come down as well? I know the sub contractor was using Ardex FH to grout between the tiles.... will this also prove to be problematic for the glass tiles? If so, what would you recommend between the tiles?

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Ardex FL is recommended for glass tile in pools and all these.. Creamy ARDEX FL is a rapid set, flexible sanded grout

FH is not recommended for pools.. it is an indoor and outdoor tile.. ARDEX FH sanded floor and wall grout is easy to apply

1627870179764.png

As far as ripping it all out and starting over I am not sure but if it were my pool I would use grout meant for pools and not showers... They will need to tear out the grout between the coping and tile at the least.. FH is approved for wet and dry but they mean places like showers.. Pools are always wet and it must state use for pools like the FL does...

Take them all this printed off and ask them what they intend to do to fix there errors... :)

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Nothing short of taking all of the tile off and starting all over would work for me if for not other reason then the visual impact. That is some sloppy work right there. Put that with the fact they used the wrong stuff and did it wrong it needs to come out and start over :(

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread