New Construction South Florida

JMApolinar

May 17, 2020
Miami FL
Hello,
I want to say thanks for all the information on here. It has helped me tremendously as I go through my first pool construction.

So I am finalizing a contract with a PB, needed some feedback.
The pool is about 12,000 gallons with attached spa with 2 spillover and no additional water features.

Plumbing:
• 2’ and 2.5’”PVC
• 4 -2” returns and 2-2” returns solar return for better warm water circulation.
• MDX R3 drain and in-floor debris removal system
• Deep basket turbo skimmer

Pump:
• Pentair WhisperFlow 2HP dual speed
I was interested in the Pentair Intelliflow VSF, but this might be overkill for my application.

Filter:
• Pentair CCRP 150

SWCG:
• Fusion Soft salt and Mineral system

Automation:
• Jandy PS-4 smart device control

Surface/Plaster:
• Florida Gym double sky blue
I wanted to go a darker blue but the PB doesn’t recommend because white patches that occurs over time.

Decking:
• Artistic Pavers
Has anyone had the any experience with these pavers?

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

Will your pool be in a cage or outdoors?

Why do you think the VSF pump is overkill?

Get a larger filter that you would not have to clean as often.

Get the Fusion Soft but don't ever install the mineral cartridge - Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading

I am not thrilled with the PS-4. How will you control the pool when the PDA breaks?

@PoolGate thoughts?

Why a Pentair pump but Jandy automation? I highly suggest a Jandy variable speed pump. Also specify the RS system you don't need the PDA with the RS. I'd also get a RS-6 for future expansion for instance you can control an electrical outlet in your pool area with low voltage lights plugged into it.

You want the IQ20-RS Aqualink upgrade. Not the IQ20-a!

That swg is great but do not allow him to put the mineral cartridge in it. Make sure you aren't paying for a cartridge either on your quote.

Welcome to TFP.

Will your pool be in a cage or outdoors?

Why do you think the VSF pump is overkill?

Get a larger filter that you would not have to clean as often.

Get the Fusion Soft but don't ever install the mineral cartridge - Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading

I am not thrilled with the PS-4. How will you control the pool when the PDA breaks?

@PoolGate thoughts?

The pool will be completely outdoors with no screens.
I was very interested in the VSF, but I was considering that I only needed it for circulation at lower speed and high speed for spa. The additional speed wouldn't warranty the added expense.
Should I just go with a Jandy Aqua Pure PC1400 instead of the Fusion Soft?
I asked for automation via smart phone so am not sure what the model that would be, but I really don't want a PDA.

Why a Pentair pump but Jandy automation? I highly suggest a Jandy variable speed pump. Also specify the RS system you don't need the PDA with the RS. I'd also get a RS-6 for future expansion for instance you can control an electrical outlet in your pool area with low voltage lights plugged into it.

You want the IQ20-RS Aqualink upgrade. Not the IQ20-a!

That swg is great but do not allow him to put the mineral cartridge in it. Make sure you aren't paying for a cartridge either on your quote.
I am assuming that they prefer to use best of breed. Is there compatibility issue with Pentair VSF pump and Jandy automation? What Jandy VS would you recommend?

Should I go with the Jandy AP PLC 1400 versus Fusion Soft? The Fusion is about $300 upgrade, is it worth it?

I forgot to mention, that I am also adding AqualCal Heatwave SQ225 heater, I am wondering if this will be enough to heat my pool/spa.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for all the feedback. I forgot to mention that this a concrete pool. Also, I will add a heater for the pool/spa.
Heater:
AqualCal Heatwave SQ225
I want to add enough heat to a 1,275 gallons spa (10500lbs of water)
My calculation is that this heat pump will be able to put out 134k to 143k BTUs ( depending water temp/ambient air/ relative humidity) to heat to 104 degrees in hour. I think that is too long to heat a spa, any other recommendation?

You can't heat a spa very well with a heat pump. They heat too slowly. You need a gas heater. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Is gas not available to you?

For sure switch to the AquaPure 1400 most builders actually charge LESS for the FusionSoft. There is a rumor that these cost the builders less due to the consumables that they will make money on. But they are the same core cell with the exact same specs. There is no advantage if it is costing more. For me it was about $300 less than the PLC1400. Make sure the exact SWG model you are getting. You could get away with the PLC700 but I would go with the PLC1400 since you will use a lot lower percentage meaning it will last longer.

I suggest any of Jandy's variable speed models. This is what I have: Jandy | VS FloPro 2.7 HP (AUT & JEP) Did you check on power company rebates?

For automation you want the RS-PS6. Don't let him sell you the PDA system with the IQ20-a upgrade.

You can't heat a spa very well with a heat pump. They heat too slowly. You need a gas heater. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Is gas not available to you?

For sure switch to the AquaPure 1400 most builders actually charge LESS for the FusionSoft. There is a rumor that these cost the builders less due to the consumables that they will make money on. But they are the same core cell with the exact same specs. There is no advantage if it is costing more. For me it was about $300 less than the PLC1400. Make sure the exact SWG model you are getting. You could get away with the PLC700 but I would go with the PLC1400 since you will use a lot lower percentage meaning it will last longer.

I suggest any of Jandy's variable speed models. This is what I have: Jandy | VS FloPro 2.7 HP (AUT & JEP) Did you check on power company rebates?

For automation you want the RS-PS6. Don't let him sell you the PDA system with the IQ20-a upgrade.
I dont have an option for gas heater. There is no rebate from the power company.
So you recommend the Jandy VS pump over the Pentair VSpump becuase of the Jandy automation?

I recommend the Jandy but that is purely from my OCD wanting equipment to match and of course I have a Jandy pump never had any issues with it. Jandy automation only supports 2 models of pumps outside of their own pumps. Intelliflo VS and VF.

Seems odd to me that your builder is putting unmatched equipment in your build. Almost like he has this stuff lying around and wants to get rid of it.

1592310208768.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recommend the Jandy but that is purely from my OCD wanting equipment to match and of course I have a Jandy pump never had any issues with it. Jandy automation only supports 2 models of pumps outside of their own pumps. Intelliflo VS and VF.

Seems odd to me that your builder is putting unmatched equipment in your build. Almost like he has this stuff lying around and wants to get rid of it.

View attachment 147252
I saw that same pic. I not sure why the builder recommended it. I was interested in the Intelliflow VSF. I called Jandy they told me that are compatible and will work with the IntelliFlow VSF. I differently would like some secondary confirmation.

Yeap, Essig is the pool builder. I really like the pavers versus natural stone. What coping profile did you get? They really push the bullnose, but I really wanted the square relaxed edge. I think it will come down to cost.
we got 8x16 for coping, and 16x16 pavers - the ivory colored ones (the ones on their showroom floor)

got the same florida gem double sky blue plaster

im not sure the exact other equipment though other than its a pentair pump, and a jandy p4 salt&pda

we're at 3 weeks into build now and should be ffilling in the trenches and doing coping/tile next week (i hope)

Hi PoolGate,
Thanks for your help. I just wanted to clarify one thing about the automation.
If I go with a new Aqualink RS-PS6 do I still need to get the IQ20-RS(upgrade) or will the IQ20-a (antenna only) be enough.

Confirm with your builder or Jandy but I believe if you start with the "RS" you just need the "a" antenna. And it might even include that in some bundles. The IQ20-RS upgrade includes the antenna and the RS board. Since you are getting an RS system to start with, the antenna should be all you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.