New construction - No realistic start date

Storyofagirl64

Jun 26, 2021
Limerick, pa
We signed a contract for a new pool construction (gunite) in August 2020 with a verbal estimated start date of June 2021 but our contract says “spring/summer” as the start date. After many attempts over the last few months to get a more realistic start date it is evident we will not get one. Just keep getting told that we are like 5/6th in line but keep getting pushed back because permits are coming in for contracts that were signed before us. We have had our permits in since Feb. At this point, I realize they are probably running into the industry wide issues that all construction contractors are facing this year but for whatever reason do not want to tell us that. Our only option at this point is to wait for the them to call us to start, we have no control of that and trying to follow our contract is useless at this point. So my question is had anyone had similar experiences and what concerns should I have at this point? Is it possible they never start? Could they try and renegotiate pricing (due to supply cost increases)? Anything else?
I look forward to the input!

Welcome to TFP.
Did you tie your payment schedule to the start date and were you able to hold any money back till final sign off and completion of the punch list? It all depends on your contract terms but he should not be able to increase his price unless there is a specific clause that allows that.
The pool industry has been in high demand for over a year thus the backlog. Also, the big freeze throughout Texas, Louisiana put a even higher demand on pool equipment to repair that which broke in the freezing temperatures. So it is not uncommon for PB's to be vague on start dates and yes some of it is outside of their control with permits being delayed as well.

We signed a contract for a new pool construction (gunite) in August 2020 with a verbal estimated start date of June 2021 but our contract says “spring/summer” as the start date. After many attempts over the last few months to get a more realistic start date it is evident we will not get one. Just keep getting told that we are like 5/6th in line but keep getting pushed back because permits are coming in for contracts that were signed before us. We have had our permits in since Feb. At this point, I realize they are probably running into the industry wide issues that all construction contractors are facing this year but for whatever reason do not want to tell us that. Our only option at this point is to wait for the them to call us to start, we have no control of that and trying to follow our contract is useless at this point. So my question is had anyone had similar experiences and what concerns should I have at this point? Is it possible they never start? Could they try and renegotiate pricing (due to supply cost increases)? Anything else?
I look forward to the input!
Exactly same thing has happened to us but also told pool was damaged leaving the plant so who know what will happen now.

One common theme that I have been hearing is the lack of communication between PB and Customer. If the start date is pushed back so be it, just tell the customer! Yes it's a disappointment to the customer but at least the PB is staying in contact with the customer.

I keep telling myself there is some hope that ours will be done this year but that is going out the window but when it's done we will be ready for next summer for sure and all of these issues will be behind us. (Almost like it never happened)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.