New construction in California - Returns at the bottom of the pool

faustg

Aug 21, 2019
Bakersfield, CA
They just finished digging the hole for the pool. Looks massive.

They started the trenching for the plumbing and electricity. I don't see any returns at the bottom of the pool.

My old pool built back in 2006 had returns at the bottom that could be used to clean the deep end, drain the pool as well, but I don't see them in this pool.

Are they no longer used? or are they trying to avoid digging that trench?

Returns at the bottom of the pool are usually some type of In-Floor Cleaning System that include valves and equipment on the pad.

A main drain is different. Pools don’t need a main drain on the bottom. A main drain helps prevent a pump running dry if your skimmers get clogged.

A pool can be designed with an IFCS or main drain or both or none. There is no standard.

A main drain is not needed. Just get a low priced sump pump from Harbor Freight or Amazon and have it on hand for those times you need to drain water from the pool.

Do ask them if they put a port in the side of the pool a couple feet below the skimmer so your pump will not run dry if the water level drops below the skimmer.

Reactions: chrsdmry
I'm just up the 99 in Fresno, and there was nothing in ours at all until they actually started laying the pipe. They said it was required to have two main drains, I'm not sure if it's different in Bakersfield or not. All of our returns are on the sides.

The way my builder did it was to dig the deep end a little deeper, attached the two main drains from the skimmer, then they piled dirt back on top of it. You can see pics in my build thread to compare. I've got daily shots of most of the progress. They only trenched at the surface for mine, the work on the pool side was done by the plumber after the excavation was complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.