Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Good morning, currently under construction in Chicago. I wish I had found this site before signing a contract, but looking forward to getting advice from this point forward.

We decided on an inground fiberglasss pool due to maintenance concerns, climate, and finally budget. We got three bids. Chicago’s market is admittedly pricey.

Our home is in the city proper. Our lot is 24.75‘ x 169‘. Chicago ordinance requires a 10 foot setback for any pool over 4’ deep. Therefore we had to go with something 4’ We are two adults without kids so also don’t need a big pool. We just want a plunge pool to cool off in or warm up in and have a cocktail.

We had to put a hole in our garage for access due to space constraints.
There’s a big maple in the backyard but we trimmed it within an inch of it’s life! Permitting took 9 months - welcome to Chicago. ?

Forgive any non-compliance with usual etiquette regarding my build post. And go soft on this newbie. ;)

Specifications:
Pool: Latham Milan 16’ x 10’, 4’ deep, Color Shale Gray G2, 3 LED lights, Pentair Clean/Clear with cartridge filter, Pentair VS 011055, Raypak 206-A, Pentair SWG IC 20, SaniKing 01-05-0940 chlorinator (back-up)
Patio/Coping: 3’x2’ Blue select thermal bluestone
Options: Automatic Pool Cover with custom concrete box, Automatic Water fill JandyK1100CKC, 8 spa jets with separate pump, mini deck jets x 4 and Pentair 011511 pump, winter pool cover, mesh

Attaching some pics of the general schematic, pics of our house and backyard, and start of the dig.
Hoping to use this thread to ask questions as issues arise, as I’m sure they will.

We are essentially almost done with the dig.

Looking forward to hearing any comments out of the gate! Also looking forward to all this site has to offer.
12961A4B-3243-4473-BD1E-852E479687BD.jpeg41AB793E-F8D7-4420-B4ED-28A6D5D3A9FB.jpeg259FF677-42E5-4BD4-B667-0485EC9E1680.jpeg28AE8C1D-9F32-4674-B484-D9EBE401EB27.jpegE12D7D5B-9BBB-4686-8C8D-15E164AA998E.jpeg3ECA420A-4267-4429-803C-6987D7F451C5.jpeg0C90DDA0-D1BC-43C9-BB4F-5998EB1FF960.jpegFDE903BA-FBD2-4E64-902C-83136901295A.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:wave:

Cool pictures! You will have water in no time.....prepare yourself for it. Are you going to manage the pool yourself?

If so, you should start to learn water chemistry RIGHT NOW. It will be immensely helpful to you if you start off correctly.

1. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School - that is absolutely essential - read and UNDERSTAND!

2. Purchase a test kit now. Not one that's at Wal-Mart, but one of the two kits we suggest here....TFTestkits TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. It's the only way you can practice the methods we teach. Please don't put it off or think you can "get by" with a cheap kit or the pool store's help. It won't work.

3. Sanitation is incredibly important for enjoyment of your pool. Don't approach it half heartedly. Learn TFP methods and ask a lot of questions. You are joining thousands of pool owners who will help you every step of the way.

4. Start your pool chemistry knowledge by getting rid of that "SaniKing" puck dispenser. Their claim to fame is you can use either chlorine OR bromine to sanitize your pool.....not true. Do not use bromine, it is VERY troublesome. If you want a puck dispenser (for chlorine tabs) get a rainbow 320 (for about $75.00) and then learn here at TFP how and when you can use chlorine pucks.....you have to monitor their usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimson avenger
Thank you for the reply and the warm welcome!

We definitely plan on taking care of the pool chemistry ourselves. There is no better way to do it then to do it yourself.

I will be buying the TF 100 kit. I’ve spent a good amount of time reading about pool chemistry woes and so I know this is the best way to go about it.

I’ll be posting more questions here soon I’m sure.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Cool pictures! You will have water in no time.....prepare yourself for it. Are you going to manage the pool yourself?

If so, you should start to learn water chemistry RIGHT NOW. It will be immensely helpful to you if you start off correctly.

1. Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School - that is absolutely essential - read and UNDERSTAND!

2. Purchase a test kit now. Not one that's at Wal-Mart, but one of the two kits we suggest here....TFTestkits TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. It's the only way you can practice the methods we teach. Please don't put it off or think you can "get by" with a cheap kit or the pool store's help. It won't work.

3. Sanitation is incredibly important for enjoyment of your pool. Don't approach it half heartedly. Learn TFP methods and ask a lot of questions. You are joining thousands of pool owners who will help you every step of the way.

4. Start your pool chemistry knowledge by getting rid of that "SaniKing" puck dispenser. Their claim to fame is you can use either chlorine OR bromine to sanitize your pool.....not true. Do not use bromine, it is VERY troublesome. If you want a puck dispenser (for chlorine tabs) get a rainbow 320 (for about $75.00) and then learn here at TFP how and when you can use chlorine pucks.....you have to monitor their usage.

Which test products would you recommend for me a thttps://tftestkits.net/? It’s gonna be saltwater...

E52D0A52-4A60-427F-89B1-73B9104B8077.jpeg

AC,

I like it!! :goodjob:

Tell me about the SaniKing sanitizer ??? Your SWCG is the sanitizer.. so is the SaniKing for use when it is too cold for the SWCG or ?????

Besides the TF-100, you will need the SpeedStir and the Taylor K-1766.. The SpeedStir makes testing fun and more accurate. The K-1766 is a salt test kit.. You never want to trust what the cell says without know the actual salt level in the water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for catching the point about the Saniking. I believe that is a holdover on the contract from prior to when we decided on SWG, but I should double check with my contractor!
Thanks for the kit recommendations... ordering test kits now...
Mark

What are they going to use for leveling the bottom and backfilling the sides? With fiberglass, 3/4" stone (no fines) is recommended for both (it is definitely what I would use). That does not look like clean stone in the picture. ?

Reactions: crimson avenger

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are they going to use for leveling the bottom and backfilling the sides? With fiberglass, 3/4" stone (no fines) is recommended for both (it is definitely what I would use). That does not look like clean stone in the picture. ?

Rich, I have attached a closer picture. As a newbie I don’t know how to answer your question but I attached a closer picture with a ruler.
Is this going to be adequate? Now I’m concerned...

645C1278-B4EF-423D-9832-8B1FE323C0A5.jpeg

Ahh.. That looks much better. It's definitely on the high end of three quarter but perfectly fine.
Rich,

I did some further searching around the gravel pile, and there’s a not insignificant amount of what I would describe as pea gravel. I would say it’s about 15% of the total amount of gravel.

Attached is the picture. Is this going to be okay to be mixed in? It’s toward the back of the pile and not mixed in yet...

Thank you!9EB77E79-2C46-42DB-AA81-0A39123CAC0D.jpeg

I did some further searching around the gravel pile, and there’s a not insignificant amount of what I would describe as pea gravel. I would say it’s about 15% of the total amount of gravel

Not exactly sure what you are trying to explain there.. ?

Both of those pics look fine. It is the clean stone (little to no fines) that is most important.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to explain there.. ?

Both of those pics look fine. It is the clean stone (little to no fines) that is most important.

Forgive me for not communicating clearly. About 15% of the gravel is much smaller. That was the only point I was trying to bring across.

I tried googling what “fines” mean, but I have not been able to find a definition.

Trust your builder unless you have reason not to. That tock looks perfect for backfill and will provide you a nice, stable bed.

Thank you Dave for the reassurance. I want to be an informed consumer for this very expensive project. I suppose I have spent too much time on this forum reading some of the horror stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: borjis and Ematicic
Forgive me for not communicating clearly. About 15% of the gravel is much smaller. That was the only point I was trying to bring across
No problem.. The stone blend looks fine..

I tried googling what “fines” mean, but I have not been able to find a definition

Fines are any material that is finer in size that what is specified. (basically dirt or sand in this instance )

In my humble opinion "Trust" is something that is earned not freely given. I do not feel you have had enough exposure to your PB's work to trust he is a capable competent contractor with your best interest at heart. Only time will tell that. Nothing wrong with having up front conversations to ensure everyone is on the same page and there are no surprises.

One of those conversations should be to ensure they are going to use the same stone for all of the backfill and that the backfill is done equally on all sides at the same time the water is being added.

Has there been any discussions about a sump pit for dewatering ?

Your house is gorgeous, the design really really nice. You didn't ask about saving money but....

1) I can't help but think 3 LED lights in that size pool is overkill. And costly! You'll be signalling all the UFOs for landing...

2) if you want to save a buck- deck jets are something fun for about..,oh...45 minutes. Sometimes they're noisy splashers and bother folks trying to talk. Me? I'd hate them to hit my hair if I weren't planning on it. Folks tend to use them less and less until.... <shrug>

Just somethings to consider.

Keep us posted please....lots of pics!!

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support