New build starting in NJ - pic heavy

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
My first impression when looking at the pictures is "His pool is gonna be shaped like a guitar??" :unsure:

The next thought I had was "How lucky are we here to have such space available for our pleasures and pools!" You have a gorgeous piece of land there.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: glenpod

JJ_Tex

Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Beautiful property. I love looking at all of the nice countryside homes with huge green yards when flying into NJ. Just make sure to stop looking out the window as you approach Newark.

Reactions: glenpod

glenpod

Jun 7, 2019
NJ
Beautiful property. I love looking at all of the nice countryside homes with huge green yards when flying into NJ. Just make sure to stop looking out the window as you approach Newark.
Ha, so true! People think of NJ as the turnpike, central-west NJ is a different world for sure!

glenpod

Jun 7, 2019
NJ

glenpod

Jun 7, 2019
NJ
Looks great so far. Now you need some rain to get that settled. They didnt compact any of it did they?
They are calling for 1" or more of rain today/tonight, couldn't be better timing! I also plan on watering daily. When you say compact it, I wasn't here the whole time but I did not see a compactor type machine but I did see him driving over it all around the perimeter.

glenpod

Jun 7, 2019
NJ
😳 Please tell me they compacted that 4' of clay in lifts?????????? Driving over it with the skidsteer does not count..
I do not think they did, not sure what "in lifts mean". With it being the end of the season in NJ the decking may not be poured until spring. I am meeting with the concrete guy next week to discuss.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
I do not think they did, not sure what "in lifts mean". With it being the end of the season in NJ the decking may not be poured until spring. I am meeting with the concrete guy next week to discuss.
Compacting in lift means they should have installed one foot of material then compacted it with a heavy compactor (preferably a sheep's foot compactor for clay) then they would install the next one foot lift and compact that. so if you had 4 ft to fill they should have compacted four times.

dumping loose material in a 4-ft fill and then letting it sit for the winter does not achieve the proper compaction.

Does this concrete guy work for the pool builder? If not ask him about placing his concrete on 4 ft of uncompacted material.

Unfortunately, improper compaction seems to be the standard operating procedure of most pool builders. It usually takes years to settle and move your patio and by then they are long gone.