New Build South Texas

rwh999

Jan 31, 2021
Victoria, TX
Hello,

I wish I would have found this forum before we signed a contract for our pool as I have found a wealth of information on this site. We should start construction soon and I was hoping for some feedback on our design and equipment before everything gets started. It looks like going with a saltwater pool is highly recommended on the site, so we are going to ask about the cost to upgrade. Any help or suggestions to make the pool or our pool experience better is greatly appreciated.

Pool Details-

Pool: 34'9"x16'
Perimeter: 90 ft
Area: 586
Depth: 3'6" to 6.0'
Steps: 25' Benches 8'
Tanning Ledge: 8'
Luna Quartz Wet Edge
Coping: Travertine

Filter: Pentair 320 Cartridge
Sanitation: Std. Chlorinator In-Line Feeder
Pool Pump: Intelliflow VS
Skimmers: 1 (Going to ask for a 2nd based on reading the forum)
Returns:4
Autofill: Included
Drains: 2 Standard- VGB Compliant
Intelliconnect w/phone app Included
Pool Light: 3 LED White (Salesman said to save money and purchase Color LED and install ourselves)

Pool Plumbing Runs: 30'
WF Plumbing Runs 45'
Total Electric runs: 175'

12" Raised Beam: 15'
Strip form- Smooth backside- Hide plumbing in beam
Water Shear: 3' (may ask for a second 3' since wall is so long)
Bubbler: 2 on Tanning ledge (Going to ask to upgrade to bubbler with lights)

New Deck: 350 sq. ft. brushed
Drainage: 75' to yard

Attachments

• 90 perimeter_new.jpg
    90 perimeter_new.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 90 perimeter_007.jpg
    90 perimeter_007.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Pool_001.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 28

Keep in mind that the IntelliConnect cannot control any automated valves.. If you want to be able to turn on your water feature with your phone, it can't do it..

You need to know how many gallons your pool will be to be able to get the correct size of a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG).. It needs to be at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

Keep in mind that for every light you want to control independently, you will need a relay and a transformer.. So, if you want them all on at the same time and with the same color, you only need one relay and one transformer.. Your IntelliConnect only has two relays and one of them must be used to control the power the SWCG..

Thanks,

Jim R.

With a 20K pool you will need the IC40 salt cell at a minimum.. Being in Texas, it would not hurt to go with the larger IC60..

Did they really mean IntelliConnect, or did they mean the Pentair IntelliCenter??? If the IntelliCenter, then make sure you get the one that has the Internal SWCG power supply and comes with the salt cell... It is older, but the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic will also work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A few suggestions:

- I would consider increasing the depth of the shallow end to 4'.

-Upgrade to the CCP520 filter.

-Ditch the tab feeder and go with a SWG.

-2 Skimmers

-More returns. 4 might not be enough.

-Overflow drain

-Get the Intellicenter

-Have you considered a heater? Chiller? Heat pump that can do both?

-At least one more light. You'll want one for your shelf plus several for the main part of your pool. If you're going with Pentair, make sure you get MicroBrite lights. Make sure they all face away from the house or main seating area.

-Are you interested in having a swim lane? Might be able to move the steps/shelf around to create one.

Good luck!

Thank you for the help. We will be meeting with out PB tomorrow. To upgrade to a SWCG (I am assuming the IC40, but he didn't say) they are quoting $1750. Does this sound about right?

He doesn't suggest a second skimmer, but we will be adding the second one as there seems to be good value added there.

He also says the 420 filter is enough. and that the intelliconnect is more than sufficient and no need to upgrade. but I do want to be able to control the water feature, bubblers, and lights separately, so I don't believe it is sufficient.

When I meet with him I will outline our thoughts on some of these items. I feel like out quote and discussions are a bit vague on what we will be getting. I need to ask what lights we are getting, and how many returns are included (for a pool this size is there a recommended amount?) I am trying to cover all our bases before construction starts.

I've added another picture that shows light placement. The light at the back of the pool faces our house. Would it be advisable to move that the the left side of the pool. We will have a sitting area on the left side as well as at the front side of the pool. Will this give it enough light coverage?

Attachments

• Pool Construction_006.jpg
    Pool Construction_006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
Remember that it's your money and your pool, so you have the final say regarding most of these items. If your builder doesn't agree with that line of thinking, perhaps you should seek a different PB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After a couple visits with our PB, we settled on a design equipment that we wanted. This week they came in a dug the pool. We took measurements and everything measured correctly.
It rained pretty hard the other night. There was some minor washout, but nothing that I thought was too bad. The rebar was installed today. They put thin sheets of some sort of fiber board down, presumably to keep out if the mud. I thought they would remove it as the rebar went in, but they left the sheets under the rebar and put the spacers on top. Is there anything wrong with leaving this in place? I have not seen any pictures with something similar in place.

20210329_192951.jpg20210329_193003.jpg

Our builder did the same with the boards under the rebar. When I asked about it he said they always leave them and it won’t affect anything 🤷‍♂️.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.