New Build So. Cal-shotcrete finally! ( running updates)

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
8/15 three mini bobcats have been working for three days--soo much progress--
8/18 dig completed! (well I guess not)
8/20 went out to measure per Kim--NOT DEEP ENOUGH-called PB-digger used old plans . . . so need to come out another day TBD
8/21 steel --cancelled!
8/24 diggers came back/proper depth--allowed us to now also make spa bigger-we are 8*8 now
8/26 plumber visited for new spa specs--dug around some more
8/27 re-bar started
8/28 re-bar completed
9/16- shotcrete!!!
pics at the end of the thread.

30*18 rectangle (depth 4' to 6'), with additional 6'3"*15 Baja shelf (trying to decide depth-currently at 9")
8*8 spa-10 jets (raised 24" with 3 spill over edges-one floating step up)
18" retaining wall on north side with 5*8’ center wall with 1-5' sheer (pentair whisper flow)
Stonescapes (reverse tahoe)--open to suggestions here --added hand cast abalone/and or glass
Poured in place modern edge coping
stamped concrete decking
2 firebowls

Equipment:
Pentair IC 40
Pentair 420 clean and clear fliter
Pentair Intelliflow 3 H.P. 8 speed pump
Pentair Master temp 199K Heater
Pentair Rebel cleaner
4 globerites in pool 1 in spa OR now microbrites??
Pentair 8 function EZ touch w/screen
4 returns and 2 skimmers (ty for the input on adding extra skimmer)

Attachments

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I do not see any issues with the equipment. Be sure the Easytouch is not the LITE version.

Be ware of abalone shells added to the plaster. There have been reports of staining after time due to the shells.

Reactions: S S

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
I do not see any issues with the equipment. Be sure the Easytouch is not the LITE version.

Be ware of abalone shells added to the plaster. There have been reports of staining after time due to the shells.
Thank you for the advice--I will check on Easytouch--what is the other option you recommend? and what is the problem with the LITE version?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
The LITE version only allows 4 schedules. Be that a combination of Feature schedules or Egg timers. The regular allows 12. The LITE version does not come with the power panel in it, so you have to have an additional box on your wall.

The ET should have the SWCG power center in it. Be sure you are getting a SWCG that is rated for at least twice your pool volume. I suspect that will be an IC40

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
The LITE version only allows 4 schedules. Be that a combination of Feature schedules or Egg timers. The regular allows 12. The LITE version does not come with the power panel in it, so you have to have an additional box on your wall.

The ET should have the SWCG power center in it. Be sure you are getting a SWCG that is rated for at least twice your pool volume. I suspect that will be an IC40
Yes— getting an IC40- updated my post above and added the layout Photo! Thank you for your advice

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
LOVE design!

The one thing I would change is to go for a 4' shallow. That will ease the transition for the deeper end. I would also think about doing the steps all the way across the wall to the shelf. That would give you added seating inside the pool.

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
LOVE design!

The one thing I would change is to go for a 4' shallow. That will ease the transition for the deeper end. I would also think about doing the steps all the way across the wall to the shelf. That would give you added seating inside the pool.
agree with the 4' shallow end--Ill talk to PB about that--I am having trouble envisioning the second--are you saying extend steps and have them end where the shelf stops? or all the way across the length of the entire pool? I

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
F6B20737-AE37-41BD-B238-9DDC95464687.jpeg

I put my idea in purple. My reasoning is this will allow you to have another seating area and the steps will be right by the wall so it can be used to help people get out of the pool if they need it.

I worry the way the steps were with that pointed corner there could be some hurt legs or body parts if someone was playing around in the pool and ran or swam into it.

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
View attachment 149068

I put my idea in purple. My reasoning is this will allow you to have another seating area and the steps will be right by the wall so it can be used to help people get out of the pool if they need it.

I worry the way the steps were with that pointed corner there could be some hurt legs or body parts if someone was playing around in the pool and ran or swam into it.
That makes a lot of sense--maybe extend all the steps to the baja? I also called PB and changed shallow to 4' --I really appreciate your input and help.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
You could extend them all the way to the shelf. I only went as far as I did to keep as much of the shallow end for Watermelon ball. Look it up! You will love it!! Best pool toy/game out there!

Kim:kim:

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
Did you get your permits already? Just signed a contract last week and wondering what the turnaround time would be in Southern California. PB said it may take up to 5 weeks with the pandemci
Nope-it was under review and now the status is CORRECTIONS REQ --I assume that means they need additional information or something corrected. We submitted on 10th and paid/finalized on 18th. I was told up to 2 months :( --and then 1-2 weeks start from time of approval.
Where in So Cal are you?

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
Did you get your permits already? Just signed a contract last week and wondering what the turnaround time would be in Southern California. PB said it may take up to 5 weeks with the pandemci
Im actually glad things were slowed down in a way-we ended up making several changes since we had time to think and research a bit. I still have a few tweaks to make.

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
2 months 😳. I’m in Riverside county. Guess by the time they start working won’t be until fall. I was debating whether or not I would need a heater for a pool only build guess I made the right decision? Lol. I’m in the same boat - so many decisions to make from coping to finish. Who’s your builder?

S S

Jun 16, 2020
Los Angeles
2 months 😳. I’m in Riverside county. Guess by the time they start working won’t be until fall. I was debating whether or not I would need a heater for a pool only build guess I made the right decision? Lol. I’m in the same boat - so many decisions to make from coping to finish. Who’s your builder?
Pool Water Creations. Yours? Yes--definitely going to be fall . .. we added a heater