Jun 7, 2020
SEPA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey All,

First off, I would like to extend my gratitude to the collective community here for the support you have already inadvertently provided me as well as the future support I know I will receive. My wife and I are close to breaking ground on the first pool either of us will have ever owned. I found TFP a few weeks back by doing what I always do any time I'm about to do anything...researching that topic to death. Let me just say, this site has been a godsend as we have zero pool experience. The more we learn the more we realize we need to learn, but the tools we've picked up here in just a few short weeks have given us the confidence to know pool ownership isn't as scary a thing as we may have thought.

So, now to the reason I'm posting. After interviewing 6 or so builders and kicking the tires on the various pool types we signed a contract for our gunite pool on 6/12. We submit for permits tomorrow 7/20 (engineering took 5 weeks!), and then it's go time! Below are the details as they are today. There will be a pre-construction meeting with the builder in the coming days, and there are a few things from an equipment perspective, thanks to the knowledge I've gained here at TFP, that I will be looking to change at that time.

Specs
  • 18.5' x 44' (first 6' of shallow end is tanning ledge)
  • 3' - 8' depth (1' on ledge)
  • 31K gallons
  • 2 skimmers
  • 3 returns
  • Some funky plumbing/valve scheme the builder calls solar recirculation; from what I can tell you can use your main drain as a return to circulate water from bottom to top
  • Sunstone Select Cobalt quartz
  • Belgard coping TBD
  • brushed concrete deck
Equipment
  • Jandy Pro Series 1.5 hp full rated pump (will likely upgrade to vs or 2-speed)
  • Jandy TruClear SWG
  • Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter
  • SQ145 Aquacal heat pump
  • (2) full size Hayward Colorlogic LED lights
  • (1) 320 Colorlogic LED light for tanning ledge (not sure how 1 light will be sufficient for a 18.5' x 6' ledge; considering adding a 2nd light?)
  • Polaris TR-35P with 3/4 hp booster pump (will most likely ask to remove for a credit which I will put toward a robot)
Testing - (not sure I know what to do with this yet but bought it based on recommendations here)
  • TF-100
  • K-1766
  • Speed stir
No automation plans yet. I was interested in Hayward VS Omni pump setup as I don't think I need alot of automation, but my builder said they only sell Jandy pumps. Kinda funny considering the LEDs they're selling at Hayward's.

That's where we're at currently. Hopefully permits move fast, and we're digging soon. Any delay and we may be forced to make a decision whether we plaster this year or wait until the Spring.

Some pictures of our backyard below. Excuse the mess, it's a major work in progress.

I can't wait to share this experience with all your seasoned pros. All comments, recommendations, critiques of our current path are greatly appreciated.
20200903_190317.jpg20200717_120857.jpg20200717_121052.jpg

Last edited:
The Jandy Truclear SWG is too small for your 30K pool. We recommend the SWG be 2X your pool volume. You really need a 40K-60k rated SWG.

Your cartridge filter is too small. The bigger the better. You cannot have too large a filter.

Automation should be from the same manufacturer as your VS pump and SWG. If you go down the path of Jandy equipment you will be locked into Jandy Aqualink automation. If you want Hayward automation then get a Hayward pump and SWG.

Hey All,

First off, I would like to extend my gratitude to the collective community here for the support you have already inadvertently provided me as well as the future support I know I will receive. My wife and I are close to breaking ground on the first pool either of us will have ever owned. I found TFP a few weeks back by doing what I always do any time I'm about to do anything...researching that topic to death. Let me tell you, this site has been a godsend as we have zero pool experience. The more we learn the more we realize we need to learn, but the tools we've picked up here in just a few short weeks have given us the confidence to know pool ownership isn't as scary a thing as we may have thought.

So, now to the reason I'm posting. After interviewing 6 or so builders and kicking the tires on the various pool types we signed a contract for our gunite pool on 6/12. We submit for permits tomorrow 7/20 (engineering took 5 weeks!), and then it's go time! Below are the details as they are today. There will be a pre-construction meeting with the builder in the coming days, and there are a few things from an equipment perspective, thanks to the knowledge I've gained here at TFP, that I will be looking to change at that time.

Specs
  • 18.5' x 44' (first 6' of shallow end is tanning ledge)
  • 3' - 8' depth (1' on ledge)
  • 31K gallons
  • 2 skimmers
  • 3 returns
  • Some funky plumbing/valve scheme the builder calls solar recirculation; from what I can tell you can use your main drain as the return to circulate water from bottom to top
  • Sunstone Select Cobalt quartz
  • Belgard coping TBD
  • brushed concrete deck
Equipment
  • Jandy Pro Series 1.5 hp full rated pump (will likely upgrade to vs or 2-speed)
  • Jandy TruClear SWG
  • Jandy 60 sq. ft. DE filter
  • SQ145 Aquacal heat pump
  • (2) full size Hayward Colorlogic LED lights
  • (1) 320 Colorlogic LED light for tanning ledge (not sure how 1 light will be sufficient for a 18.5' x 6' ledge; considering adding a 2nd light?)
  • Polaris TR-35P with 3/4 hp booster pump (will most likely ask to remove for a credit which I will put toward a robot)
Testing - (not sure I know what to do with this yet but bought it based on recommendations here)
  • TF-100
  • K-1766
  • Speed stir
No automation plans yet. I was interested in Hayward VS Omni pump setup as I don't think I need alot of automation, but my builder said they only sell Jandy pumps. Kinda funny considering the LEDs they're selling at Hayward's.

That's where we're at currently. Hopefully permits move fast, and we're digging soon. Any delay and we may be forced to make a decision whether we plaster this year or wait until the Spring.

Some pictures of our backyard below. Excuse the mess, it's a major work in progress.

I can't wait to share this experience with all your seasoned pros. All comments, recommendations, critiques our current path are greatly appreciated.
View attachment 153778View attachment 153779View attachment 153780
Is the builder Anthony & Sylvan? I am signing a contract this week and the equipment is identical to what’s in my quote.

The Jandy Truclear SWG is too small for your 30K pool. We recommend the SWG be 2X your pool volume. You really need a 40K-60k rated SWG.

Your cartridge filter is too small. The bigger the better. You cannot have too large a filter.

Automation should be from the same manufacturer as your VS pump and SWG. If you go down the path of Jandy equipment you will be locked into Jandy Aqualink automation. If you want Hayward automation then get a Hayward pump and SWG.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a Jandy SWG model recommendation for my pool size?

Same question for the filter. It's a DE filter not cartridge, if that makes a difference. We went with the 60 sq. ft. instead of the 48 sq. ft. The only size Hayward offers that's larger is 72 sq. ft.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a Jandy SWG model recommendation for my pool size?

Jandy PLC1400 SWG for a 40K pool.

Same question for the filter. It's a DE filter not cartridge, if that makes a difference. We went with the 60 sq. ft. instead of the 48 sq. ft. The only size Hayward offers that's larger is 72 sq. ft.

Too early in the morning and I missed it was a DE filter. 60 is fine then.

Reactions: Dave1096
Very exciting day for us, we finally began excavation today nearly 12 weeks after signing our contract. Given the late start this year we're going to hold off on plastering until Spring as I don't love the idea of brushing/caring for new plaster in the Fall when I can't even swim and enjoy the pool. Plus the clock on our PB warranty doesn't start ticking until after startup, so I figure why waste 6 months of coverage by starting up this year?

Here's hoping to as a smooth a build as possible.

Also, based on recommendations I've gathered both here and in reviewing other posts we changed up our equipment a bit to include:
  • Removed the pressure cleaner, will buy a robot instead
  • Upgraded to Jandy VS FloPro 2.7hp
  • Switched SWG to Fusion Soft model...won't use mineral pack option, but the chlorine output was better suited for our pool size20200902_144525.jpg20200902_150918.jpg

Last edited:
How exciting! Very similar to our pool but we don't have the ledge and your lots a little flatter. You can look at the pics in my build thread if you want a preview. Do they have a good plan for drainage between the house and pool? And elsewhere for that matter as needed.

Good call on waiting til spring for plaster at this point. Mid-late April or early May would be perfect for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How exciting! Very similar to our pool but we don't have the ledge and your lots a little flatter. You can look at the pics in my build thread if you want a preview. Do they have a good plan for drainage between the house and pool? And elsewhere for that matter as needed.

Good call on waiting til spring for plaster at this point. Mid-late April or early May would be perfect for you.
Oh, I've seen your pics and drooled over your entire backyard setup...your landscaping is amazing. Being a SoCal transplant, I especially appreciated the surfboards 😎. I actually think it was the pics of your LEDs that convinced me 2 full sized lights down the length of the pool is a good plan.

We're putting a 4' aluminum fence around the pool area (my wife's only must have/deal breaker) and will replace the chain link fence around the dog run with a matching fence when we do. The deck will extend from the pool to the sun room and along the dog run fence. I'm not 100% on all the details yet but have been informed drainage will need to added to that portion of the decking. Unfortunately, that part of the decking will probably a 2021 addition. We're already 100% over budget, and my wife is 1 more change order or addendum away from filing papers 😬. We'll have 3' of decking then graded earth on the house side of the pool until then, and I'm hoping that's sufficient for now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bmoreswim
The aluminum fence will look great! Chain link gets the job done, but if you can manage it and stay together, black aluminum looks great.

Looks like a nice clean job on the rebar. No concerns for me.

Good luck on your build! How much was the upgrade to the Vandy VS?

Also, are you planning to put any furniture on the ledge? Make sure the ledge doesn’t get too “crowded”, especially if lounge chairs are going to be used.

I am about to have my layout meeting and I saw a couple of their builds and they all look great. One mistake one buyer made was making the ledge too small and now they can only get chairs instead of loungers like they wanted.

Good luck on your build! How much was the upgrade to the Vandy VS?

Also, are you planning to put any furniture on the ledge? Make sure the ledge doesn’t get too “crowded”, especially if lounge chairs are going to be used.

I am about to have my layout meeting and I saw a couple of their builds and they all look great. One mistake one buyer made was making the ledge too small and now they can only get chairs instead of loungers like they wanted.

I hear ya. There was a bit of give and take that went into our pool design as my wife and I had some competing priorities. I wanted a pool with a deep end suitable for diving and a ledge. My wife was more concerned with having the largest shallow end possible for the kids and didn't necessarily care about a diving pool or a ledge. Keeping the ledge at 6' was the compromise...I wanted to go at least 7-8'. I realize 6' is cutting it close to fit alot of loungers, but neither extending the shelf further into the shallow end nor extending the overall length of the pool a few feet were really realistic options.

Plumbing today. I didn't realize they weren't going to pour a concrete pad, but I didn't ever think to ask either. Are these prefabricated pads a problem waiting to happen, or are they OK for the most part?

Also, I don't see my SWCG anywhere. Is there a reason why that would need to be installed later, is it there and I'm just blind, or did they just simply forget to add it?

20200908_191108.jpg20200908_191042.jpg20200908_190922.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vukota12
I don’t see your SWG in the pic.
Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by that. I'll ask the builder tomorrow but thought I'd ask her first if there's a reason why it wouldn't have been installed at this phase.

I saw the Jandy DE filter? 48’?
Close, 60 sq. ft.

And I see the pump, VS flo pro?
I thought it was supposed to be a FloPro, maybe it is? I have alot to learn on the equipment side of things. Here's a picture of the plate.

20200908_153301.jpg20200908_153352.jpg

Last edited:
The prefab pad will last a few years and eventually deteriorate and start breaking up. A poured concrete pad will last a long time.

It does not look like the plumber left a straight run between the heater and the return valves where a SWG can be cut in.

I do not understand why they tied together the suction and returns. What is that pipe circled in yellow for?

Dave.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.