New Build - SE Houston Area - Adding Salt too soon to Pool

This is where they are saying it will go. Does that make sense? That’s where I would think it should go but maybe I’m nothing thinking through it correctly
I would put it on the straight pipe between the 3 way valve and the check valve. This way you would generate chlorine whether in Pool Mode or Spa Mode. You do not really need a check valve if using a SWCG but it won't matter. On that pipe they cut out to fit the SWCG, that could be your dummy if you would need to remove your SWCG for any reason and still allow you to circulate. They would need to put on matching unions as on your SWCG.

I would put it on the straight pipe between the 3 way valve and the check valve. This way you would generate chlorine whether in Pool Mode or Spa Mode. You do not really need a check valve if using a SWCG but it won't matter. On that pipe they cut out to fit the SWCG, that could be your dummy if you would need to remove your SWCG for any reason and still allow you to circulate. They would need to put on matching unions as on your SWCG.
Thanks. That makes sense

Is the check valve not needed because the swg acts as a check?

Is the check valve not needed because the swg acts as a check?
No. The SWCG does not create an acidic stew like a trichlor chlorinator does. And the chlorine levels in the SWCG are just slightly higher than the overall pool chlorine. So there is no need to prevent backflow from it to the heater.

No. The SWCG does not create an acidic stew like a trichlor chlorinator does. And the chlorine levels in the SWCG are just slightly higher than the overall pool chlorine. So there is no need to prevent backflow from it to the heater.
Ahh that makes sense. Thank you

Got clarification that it will be before the 3 way. The construction manager misspoke. And unions included for the swg. Thanks for the help on this one and reminding me to ask.

Got clarification that it will be before the 3 way. The construction manager misspoke. And unions included for the swg. Thanks for the help on this one and reminding me to ask.
Ask him to put matching unions on the section of pipe they remove and fit it to replace the SWCG when you may have to remove it for service.

Reactions: Mbb04
Tiling and coping almost done

Attachments

• C5C4A715-6A5E-43FE-9031-66B5B4A41B8A.jpeg
    C5C4A715-6A5E-43FE-9031-66B5B4A41B8A.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 93
  • 4018BB0E-AFD1-45F7-8E7B-8D4FBA75EA33.jpeg
    4018BB0E-AFD1-45F7-8E7B-8D4FBA75EA33.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 89
  • 4FF3AB61-A3EB-4808-9682-68FC3D5DEE0A.jpeg
    4FF3AB61-A3EB-4808-9682-68FC3D5DEE0A.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 70E5237B-BD87-4660-9CEF-E582E7CF8516.jpeg
    70E5237B-BD87-4660-9CEF-E582E7CF8516.jpeg
    760.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 995C05A0-8F91-4A1E-BE37-4BF8F15ECED2.jpeg
    995C05A0-8F91-4A1E-BE37-4BF8F15ECED2.jpeg
    766.7 KB · Views: 96

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Decking crew finished the drainage for the deck and Im questioning drain placement. The drains run all the way to the street, per city code. You’ll see in the pictures the 3 drains are located next to the house foundation. Two are almost under my existing patio. My thought would have been to push them closer towards the pool to make that the low point on the deck. I put two different locations for where I thought the drain(red dots or even green dots to get them away from the corners of the deck and away from the foundation of my house.

The PB did say the city requires Y’s can doesn’t allow T’s on the piping so the red dots are out. PB also said it’s common for the drains to be close or against the foundation with pavers since they are permeable and act as a secondary drain essentially but I just haven’t seen this before. Does anyone have experience with drains close or against the foundation? Just concerned if the street floods and backs up water it’s going to begin pooling right on my foundation.

Attachments

• C3666E3D-D637-4683-BB82-7856AE242662.jpeg
    C3666E3D-D637-4683-BB82-7856AE242662.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DB34F048-A25D-4683-8E0E-2B7529C3D5B3.jpeg
    DB34F048-A25D-4683-8E0E-2B7529C3D5B3.jpeg
    779.4 KB · Views: 72
My drain lines are in similar position to foundation as is yours but mine go directly to sewer/drainage pipe, not to the street. Pool & house going on 21 years with no issue. Your foundation should be higher than street so you can maybe measure that to determine if you get any backup. Also, does your landscape drain away from the foundation or is it level with foundation. If it drains away then that is best to move any additional water away from the house foundation.

My drain lines are in similar position to foundation as is yours but mine go directly to sewer/drainage pipe, not to the street. Pool & house going on 21 years with no issue. Your foundation should be higher than street so you can maybe measure that to determine if you get any backup. Also, does your landscape drain away from the foundation or is it level with foundation. If it drains away then that is best to move any additional water away from the house foundation.
That makes me feel better. Yes the foundation is definitely higher than the street. New build in league city so they have some stringent codes for home elevations. The Pb said a lot of drains for pavers/travertine are next to the foundation. We are going to discuss in the morning just to ease my mind. And yes the yard is sloped away from the house towards the street.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Personal items. Good choice on the 5' max depth. Our PB suggested 5' but my wife wanted 6', which turned out be a mistake. I want to be able to stand on the bottom anywhere--to rescue a kid (we don't have any at home) or for maintenance, plus it turns out most people do want to stand in the pool, so now the deep end is less used.

Sun shelf. For us that turned out to be a huge waste of pool area. We have never used it. Sunning is so 20th century. If I want cancer, I'll just start smoking. Instead of the sun shelf, I wish we had just done full width stairs for lots of multi level seating.

Air blower for the spa. We have a Silencer 2 hp, and it is simply too powerful and splashes water out of the spa like crazy. I called the manufacturer of the blower, and he advised a 1 hp would probably have been better, but now, since the blower is on top of a big PVC pipe he suggested drilling some 1/4" holes in the pipe to bleed off the excess air. I have maybe ten holes at different heights and positions around the pipe, and that has tamed the problem. If I change my mind, I could just tape over the holes or even put screws in them, but so far that's not likely to happen, although if I have to replace the motor, I'll get a 1 hp and cover the holes.

Spa layout. We have about a five foot spillover. I would have gone narrower than that since we typically run the pump at about half speed. Also the seat in the spa does not go all the way around--it stops where the spillover is. I would have it run the full perimeter of the spa.

That's it. Here in the Houston area we use the pool from mid April to November but the spa 12 months, since I can set the suction and return valves to isolate the spa, making it easy to heat it up in just a few minutes in January. However we didn't use in the middle part of February this year, but the icicles on the spillover were fun. :)
I noticed the same with our design. Sun shelf is almost never used. Umbrella hold has not been used once. I wanted a deep enough pool to be overhead but the slope ended up being a little much. Maybe shallower is more useful. Our spa doesn’t even have a blower. 6x6 with 6 Jets but full wrap around seating including by spillover. That is a must. I’m not sure when a blower becomes necessary. Even at 2200rpm bubbles are enough to relax in ours.
I use the spa and pool all year. Pool doesn’t get heated but it is in the low 50s after some warm days. I only swim a couple laps or soak in the cold for a few minutes. Good for the mind and body.
I do wish I did a service path at least around the back of the pool.

A few additional pics today. I think they did a good job around the skimmers but I’m no tiling expert.
Looks nice. Watch the grout on top of the skimmer inlet and all around where it meets the coping. Mine had cracks pretty quickly. I found out after that’s a moving joint. I have seen some pools fine with grout, some with an ugly plastic filler strip and some with a flexible mastic. I’ll probably be contacting the PB again before my warranty is up. They regrouted it once already.

Reactions: Mbb04

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.