New Build - Sacramento area - MEGA Update - Almost done, Water is in!

Aaand we finished the shoot in the early evening yesterday. Had to wait for the light to get final pictures. All went well, the crew were pros, but let me know if you see anything that looks off?

Right now the only thing we are definitely changing is the spa spillover. Too small and it is supposed to spill toward the deep end, not toward the cabo shelf. PB said no problem, the rock guys will chip out the gunite and use mortar to fill where needed, and then lay flagstone per plan. Also, we definitely picked the correct area for the sun shelf, it is in direct sun virtually the whole day. :cool:

Pictures:

Starting the day
IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 5
Isn't it great once they get the gunite done - its beginning to look like a real pool! Raw gunite can look rough to the naked eye but it'll all be covered with decking or plaster - that's where quality workmanship is most visible.

Isn't it great once they get the gunite done - its beginning to look like a real pool! Raw gunite can look rough to the naked eye but it'll all be covered with decking or plaster - that's where quality workmanship is most visible.

It is amazing to see it come together. Plus, watering it 2x a day gives me some time to think about how it will function.

Update: They finished up the rock waterfalls. Coping should be next week, we chose gold leaf quartzite flagstone, which should tie together with the waterline tile and the rock work. Very exciting. Here are a few of the progress as the waterfalls were done:

IMG_2315.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg
63002843130__709049E5-ED15-483E-9203-F391BBAE79EA.jpg
IMG_2324.jpg
IMG_2325.jpg
63010662907__07FE32A9-6F69-4BF6-9D6A-435402F6B1D6.jpg

Reactions: Apsuhead
Merged threads - TFP Mod.
Hi all. We are mid build (thread in sig) and have two decent sized waterfall features. At dig, the PB indicated we would need separate water feature pumps to provide adequate flow, which I was fine with. We added a Jandy WF pump to the spec, so as of now we are scheduled to have a Jandy SWF185 and SWF125 pumps power the waterfalls. The falls are plumbed with a valve for each on the return line, so the valve can divert some flow away from each waterfall to a dedicated return below the falls. However, these are manual valves.

In light of the significant noise the falls might make at full speed, I reminded the PB that I wanted the ability to have an automated solution that let's us choose a low-flow option to make them more ambient, less waterpark noisy. Now, their proposed solution is to get rid of the SWF pumps and instead install two Jandy Variable Speed Pumps in their place (in addition to the 2.7HP Jandy VSP already spec'd for the pool/spa). The PB rationale is we can then control the flow, but not much more info provided. There are dedicated suction and return lines for each waterfall, plumbed with 2.5 or 3" lines. The waterfalls are appx 45 feet from the pad, level grade.

@ajw22 @bdavis466 @JamesW @mas985 and anyone else -- I'm looking for help on this solution, because based on what I've read, water feature pumps are better suited for this application (duh) and VSP options might not be the best choice for either noise and power consumption reasons. Is that right? Would love to hear your thoughts on both pump selection and best way to regulate flow to the waterfalls via automation?

Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator:
What specific model number Jandy VS is being proposed in place of the WF pump?

I looked through your build thread and don't see what specific waterfall model you have at what height and length.

I think the answer is going to be it depends on your expectations for the full stream waterfall experience. You may get a stronger flow and better water fall arc with the WF pump then the VS pump at full speed. Once you turn down the VS speed then the waterfall arc will lessen till you have a water dribble.

The VS pump will be running at a higher RPM, nosier, and using more electricity then the WF pump to give the equivalent output.

Were they planning on the SWF 125 or 185 pump?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked through your build thread and don't see what specific waterfall model you have at what height and length.

I think the answer is going to be it depends on your expectations for the full stream waterfall experience. You will get a stronger flow and better water fall arc with the WF pump then the VS pump at full speed. Once you turn down the VS speed then the waterfall arc will lessen till you have a water dribble.

Thanks Allen. Not sure what you mean by WF model, but the pumps right now are the Jandy Waterfall Pump SWF185 and SWF 125, and the waterfall height/widths are (appx): 5ft/3.5ft and 4ft/3ft. Does that help or even make sense? :) At this point, I'm leaning towards keeping the water feature pumps and then adding Jandy actuators to the existing valves behind the waterfalls, which will allow us to use the automation controls to (1) turn each pump on and off, and (2) choose between low and high settings. We will lose the option of full variable flow control, but it seems like having the high flow/low head pump is the better (correct?) approach. Sound right?

Thanks again for taking the time to look through this.

Thanks Allen. Not sure what you mean by WF model, but the pumps right now are the Jandy Waterfall Pump SWF185 and SWF 125, and the waterfall height/widths are (appx): 5ft/3.5ft and 4ft/3ft. Does that help or even make sense? :)

So you will have two waterfalls. One waterfall using the SWF185 pump and the other the SWF125 pump?

At this point, I'm leaning towards keeping the water feature pumps and then adding Jandy actuators to the existing valves behind the waterfalls, which will allow us to use the automation controls to (1) turn each pump on and off, and (2) choose between low and high settings. We will lose the option of full variable flow control, but it seems like having the high flow/low head pump is the better (correct?) approach. Sound right?

I don't see why you need full variable control on the waterfalls. Full blast or calm comfort settings sounds like all you would ever want.

Jandy has a bunch of different types of waterfalls. I am trying to find out exactly which models you are getting to see the specs.

Jandy Water Features..png

So you will have two waterfalls. One waterfall using the SWF185 pump and the other the SWF125 pump?

I don't see why you need full variable control on the waterfalls. Full blast or calm comfort settings sounds like all you would ever want.

Jandy has a bunch of different types of waterfalls. I am trying to find out exactly which models you are getting to see the specs.

View attachment 172250

Ahh. I get it now. We aren't using any waterfall products. The waterfalls were built from moss rock and el dorado stone, built around the 2.5" return line running behind the stone slab spillway. The pipe will open recessed rock cavity behind the spillway, and when activated, the cavity will fill, and then spill out onto the rock slabs. There aren't any terminal "spouts" like the Sheer Arcs or Sheer Descents that the pipe feeds. The more thought I've given to it, I tend to agree that the most we'll want is a full flow (loud) and a comfort/ambient effect (quiet) that can be "dialed-in" by setting the valve stops manually and then using the automation to pivot between the settings.

Be aware that stagnant water pooling in any low spots on the rocks will become breeding grounds for algae causing the pool to have continuous algae problems.. We have seen folks who arrive here after years of chasing algae problem to help them figure out that stagnant pools of water on their rock walls are causing their algae problem.

While the design sounds cool it can become very problematic for easy pool care if I have the right picture of what you are doing.

Be aware that stagnant water pooling in any low spots on the rocks will become breeding grounds for algae causing the pool to have continuous algae problems.. We have seen folks who arrive here after years of chasing algae problem to help them figure out that stagnant pools of water on their rock walls are causing their algae problem.

While the design sounds cool it can become very problematic for easy pool care if I have the right picture of what you are doing.

Great call. I'll investigate what, if any, solutions to that exist. I'll take a picture from above too to better illustrate the design.

I need some advice on pool lights. We have 4 lights in the pool, and one in the spa. We are set-up to independently control the spa light (spa on/pool off), but also are going to be able to "pair" up the pool lights into two groups. Decision: 1) pair the two lights circled in yellow at the ends of the pool in the "swim lane" and the two side lights, circled in blue, in a different switch, such that the swim lane or side light pair can be turned off separately (having the other pair still on); OR 2) pair the lights marked "A" at the shallow end of swim lane and to the left of the cabo shelf (both face away from house/patio) in one pair, and the lights marked "B" in deep end and across from cabo (which face towards house/patio) together?

The way I see it, we can either turn off the swim lane in option 1, or we can guarantee no glare from lights facing the house in option 2.

What are your thoughts?pool plan.jpg

Alright. Patios were poured this week, I just power washed the powder release off yesterday and today. Waiting to apply a concrete sealer until the decks have enough time to cure. Now we need to start thinking about plantings around the pool. I'm thinking at least one or two some small/med palm varietals behind the waterfalls and on the "fence" side of the pool, with some smaller, tropical-feel plantings on the other side (which will border lawn). Interested in any suggestions as always!

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

Reactions: Rpratt84
Thanks everyone for all your help throughout this process! Today's update - we are 96% complete, water in the pool and equipment to be turned on today(!) Still have to wash and seal the deck, complete landscape repair/reinstall, and there are a few punchlist items (Jandy Smart JVA Board install, cleanup of gunite and mortar overspray).

Here are some pictures:

Marker Tile

IMG_2592.jpg
IMG_2591.jpg

Plaster

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

• Love
Reactions: TexasRain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.