New Build - Question on pool wall construction

smg6

Jul 30, 2021
San Antonio, Tx
Hello, I just joined & introduced myself on the other thread. We're in the process of building a new pool. Besides the normal timeline headaches, everything has gone pretty smoothly. Today though, I came home to find the 'finishing' had been done on the wall which is on one side of the pool. Here's my question - Shouldn't there be an overhang on both sides of the wall? The poolside has an overhang @1 1/2". The exterior facing part of the wall was completed today & there's no flagstone overhang on much of the wall. Besides the aesthetics, I'm concerned this may not last as long due to exposure to the weather. Thank you for any input. Appreciate it! Pics included -

Attachments

• wy2inATPTBSZ4MiVkYFFqQ.jpg
    wy2inATPTBSZ4MiVkYFFqQ.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 43g3hdnLQ0atb0N9FEBo1g.jpg
    43g3hdnLQ0atb0N9FEBo1g.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 43
  • bxmKMUE3Tx2mKeJi8hHxrw.jpg
    bxmKMUE3Tx2mKeJi8hHxrw.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 42
  • MYEZZRVDQCyCXW2uAC2onQ.jpg
    MYEZZRVDQCyCXW2uAC2onQ.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 43
  • M6WE9isxRq6sOQusVf2NtQ.jpg
    M6WE9isxRq6sOQusVf2NtQ.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 5GSpC9KWRMy%E5tn5aBSUQ.jpg
    5GSpC9KWRMy%E5tn5aBSUQ.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 45
I just had my coping completed with travertine and had a similar concern that the back wall was to thick for a 6x12 travertine tile to cover it with an overhang on both sides. I was watching them closely and they took it upon themselves to cut 2 pieces(basically run 2 courses) to span the wall thickness with overhang on both sides. It required many more cuts but I'm glad they did it.

Reactions: smg6
I just had my coping completed with travertine and had a similar concern that the back wall was to thick for a 6x12 travertine tile to cover it with an overhang on both sides. I was watching them closely and they took it upon themselves to cut 2 pieces(basically run 2 courses) to span the wall thickness with overhang on both sides. It required many more cuts but I'm glad they did it.
Thanks for the info, Kevin. I've never had a pool built but what little I know about masonry & wall building, I would think there would be some overhang. I texted the construction lead for our pool & he said that's how walls are done. I don't know if you can tell from the pics but there's no consistency & in several places, the wall is actually bulging. Thanks again for responding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.