Emerald Coast Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
They started today, after months reading here and talking to numerous builders. So far, the first day laying out the forms, hopefully dig tomorrow.
This is what we're doing...
SIZE: 624 sq. ft. with 116 lineal feet perimeter. 34' x 16' with a 8'x 10' tanning ledge
SHAPE: Modified Rectangle.
DEPTH: 3.5-ft. to 6.0-ft.
POOL BEAM: 10” Bond Beam. (Commercial specifications)
COPING: Cantilever Concrete with Koolkrete Deck Coating.
TILE: Frost-proof (Choice of color)
INTERIOR FINISH: KrystalKrete.
STEPS/SUNDECK/BENCH: 1-Step area/1-Sundeck /2-Shallow end Benches, 2-Deep end Benches. (Per print)
POOL EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS:
FILTER: Pentair Clean and Clear 320 Cartridge Filter.
PUMP: Pentair Variable speed Intelliflo 3-hp Smart pool pump.
MAIN DRAINS: 2-8” Circular. (To meet or exceed Virginia Graeme Baker Act)
SKIMMERS: 2-Pentair Burmuda.
RETURNS: 4-CMP.
AUTOMATION/SALT SYSTEM: Pentair EasyConnect 8 with IC20 Salt Cell.
LIGHT(s): 2 -LED Globrite color changing with transformer.
AUTOMATIC CLEANER: Dedicated plumbing line, auto-cleaner is an option.
AUTO WATER LEVELER: 1-Paramount. (Overflow included)
DECKJETS: 4
BUBBLERS: 2

Attachments

• pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 41
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 37
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 32
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the forum!
Do you have an approximate volume of the pool? An IC20 seems pretty small. If your pool volume is 7500 gallons or so, it will be OK, otherwise, get the IC40.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thank you!
The pool will be a little over 17,000 gallons. Originally they spec'ed Pentair Intelliconnect with iChlor Salt Cell, it was recommend to upgrade due to my wife wanting to remotely control the bubblers and deckjets. I'll get with the sales person in the morning to verify the IC20.

panic_button
Will the deckjets and bubblers be lighted or unlighted?
I'm not making any recommendations one way or the other, I was just curious.
Thanks.
r.

The Intellicenter is the newest automation system from Pentair. I would suggest getting that, with an IC40 or IC60.

Reactions: MyAZPool
panic_button
Will the deckjets and bubblers be lighted or unlighted?
I'm not making any recommendations one way or the other, I was just curious.
Thanks.
r.

We are going with non-lighted.

The Intellicenter is the newest automation system from Pentair. I would suggest getting that, with an IC40 or IC60.
Thank you for that info. I was leaning toward the Intellicenter, but with it being fairly new, we a little leary.

Their are several Forum members with the Intellicenter. Some very detailed threads on it. Do a search.

I really like that design! Nice job by whoever came up with that one!

Go for the 40 on the SWG. It will save you money over the long term as you will not have to run the pump as long and the cell will last longer.

Make sure there is a light by the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at night.

Ask about what kind of valves they will be using. Do NOT allow any of the ball valves you buy at the big box stores. They don't last very long and you have to cut pipe to replace them :(

Kim:kim:

Reactions: MyAZPool
panic_button
I agree with mknauss on both accounts.
It should be noted that no one here will try to coerce you into going one way or the other with regards to pool equipment selection. It's YOUR pool and YOUR wallet :) . Rather, most will just try to make sure that you have all of the information necessary, so that you can make an informed decision on pool equipment selection, features or build techniques.

Here is some info that may be helpful to you if you just want to explore all possibilites with regards to Pentair automation.

First, there is no such thing as to what you have referenced above in your equipment list: AUTOMATION/SALT SYSTEM: Pentair EasyConnect 8 with IC20 Salt Cell.
Your builder has quoted a system that does not exist. He is probably actually referring to a Pentair EasyTouch 8. Hopefully he (the builder) is not referring to the "IntelliConnect", given your list of pool equipment and features. The IntelliConnect is pretty cool but is designed for very simple systems. Not like yours.

The older Pentair EasyTouch and IntelliTouch automation systems are proven, "bullet proof" and "tried and true" automation systems that several hundred members here have, use and are very happy with.

However, Pentair released the new IntelliCenter automation system in about October 2018. So yes, you are right. It IS very new. I have been using the IntelliCenter since December 2018.
Are there some "bugs"? Yep (none that are significant). But most, if not all, are related to very advanced applications and uses. Is Pentair actively correcting those and introducing new features into their firmware? Absolutely.

Here is the thing. When you get a EasyTouch or IntelliTouch, for the most part, you are pretty much relying on the firmware that it comes with. Pentair software developers are not really working on improving those systems anymore. They are putting all of their efforts now into the IntelliCenter. When Pentair releases an IntelliCenter firmware update, it is immediately sent directly to your IntelliCenter. That feature is called "Over-the-air (OTA) updates". The older systems do not have that capability. So when there is a new feature or capability that Pentair wants to release, "BAM", it is sent to your IntelliCenter automatically.

In addition, the IntelliCenter has several features and/or capabilties that the older systems do not posses or are limited in some way.

Here is just a short list and some comparisons.
1. Newer technology and the capacity for further enhancements in the future.
2. Web Based (no need for configurator type utilities and programs that the older systems require). And no need for ScreenLogic.
3. Automatic software and firmware update “pushes” versus the “flash-upgrade” style updates that requires an expensive Pentair Automation Flash Programming Kit.
4. Future expandability, flexibility and upgradeability (i.e. future RS-485 support for IntelliValve and possibly IntellipH as well).
5. USB port which allows for saving your latest system configuration file.
6. No real cost difference between the IntelliCenter and ET8/IT8, when you factor in the cost for screenlogic for the older systems. Screenlogic is not needed for the IntelliCenter. It is "Web-Based".
7. Built-in integration support for the new Pentair IntelliValve (two come bundled with the personality kits).
8. Larger capacitive type touch sensitive color screen at the control panel.
9. 32 “Feature Circuits” capability. Eight with the older systems.
10. 16 “Circuit Groups” (“macros”) capability. EasyTouch does not support macros. IntelliTouch supports ten.
11. 100 available "Schedules". I believe that the older systems have a maximum of six or eight.

You can read more and gain some more insight about this newer Pentair automation system here. This thread is probably the largest depository of IntelliCenter information on TFP currently.

Again, no one is trying to convince you one way or the other. But only attempt to provide you with all available information (good or bad).

I'm sure that no matter what Pentair automation system that you choose for your needs, that it will be the correct one based on your requirements and that you will be happy with it.
I hope you will share your pool build (with photos/videos) with us, as your build progresses.

Good luck with your new project and if you have any questions regarding the IntelliCenter, please feel free to ask.
Take care...
r.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info, I reached out and it was a typo, it will be a EasyTouch8. Waiting on the the price to upgrade to the Intellicenter.

Next question, contract calls for #4 bar, sub says #3 is what they use in all residential pools. Do I need to press for the #4 bar?

Thanks for the info, I reached out and it was a typo, it will be a EasyTouch8. Waiting on the the price to upgrade to the Intellicenter.

Next question, contract calls for #4 bar, sub says #3 is what they use in all residential pools. Do I need to press for the #4 bar?
panic_button
Cool. Let me know here on this thread or on PM if there is a problem with the IntelliCenter pricing. I may be able to direct you to a different pricing option for the IntelliCenter.

Regarding the rebar question, let me ping someone who knows a lot more about this topic than I do.
Calling @bdavis466. Can you assist panic_button with his rebar question? Thanks Brian.
r.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.