New build... need advice for Automation

caroexx

Gold Supporter
Hi all,

I already have a contract with a PB for a 3720 gallons rectangular pool (8x15.5). I am looking at the Intelliconnect since it is a pump, IChlor 15, filter, 1 led spa light setup and I will not be installing Heater but will get the ChemChek when available. I have a couple questions and need advice that I could not find in the search.

What power box would you guys recommend? Will I need a surge protector or surge suppressor for the pump or for the intellicenter? I believe that I need to buy a 300 transformer for the 12v light... any recommendations? I was originally going with the Intermatic T40004RT3 and Superflo VS but then convinced myself to get the intelliconnect with the intelliflo. Any thoughts?

C,

In your post you reference both the IntelliConnect and the IntelliCenter. I assume you are getting the IntelliConnect and not the IntelliCenter.

I would not install the ChemChek as I suspect it uses an ORP system to test your sanitizer.. This limits your use of CYA, which is one of the keys that TFP uses to ensure that you don't get alage. We have found that there is no substitute for human testing on a routine basis. :)

The IntelliConnect has no internal load center for the incoming AC power. This means your pool builder will (should) install a circuit breaker panel or load center, out by your pool. You just need to ask him to install a surge protector inside that box. That box will also provide 240 volts directly to the IntelliFlo pump. The power to the IntelliFlo and to the IntelliConnect should come from two different GFCI breakers. A surge protector, inside the load center, will help protect both the IntelliFlo, as well as the IntelliConnect.

With a single light, you should be able to use a 100 watt Pentair pool light transformer. This will consume one of the two relays in the IntelliConnect. The SWCG will consume the other IntelliConnect relay.

Why are you buying anything? Normally this is what the pool builder does.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: caroexx and kimkats
Thanks @kimkats and @Jimrahbe. @Jimrahbe this is really helpful.. I am actually going the intelliconnect route instead of the intermatic. I am actually buying it because the pool builder is a family friend and we came to the agreement that I was going to get the equipment online since it is a lot cheaper than what he can get them locally. I am getting the intelliconnect, pump, IC15 and lights. I just want to make sure he gets the correct equipment to install(micromanager syndrome). Will the intermatic PS300 be enough?

C,

In your initial post you said you had one spa light.. Now you are saying lights???

A 300 watt transformer is plenty big enough for 3 or 4 lights.. Keep in mind, that if you have more than one light, they will all come on at the same time, and be the same color at the same time.. This is because you only have one relay to control the lights.

Thanks,

Jim R.

With a single light, you should be able to use a 100 watt Pentair pool light transformer. This will consume one of the two relays in the IntelliConnect. The SWCG will consume the other IntelliConnect relay.

I suspect this will be the first and last time I'll correct Jim, but the SWG doesn't need a relay since it connects to the RS485 as mentioned here.

@caroexx You should update your sig replace IntelliCenter w/ IntelliConnect if that's your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: caroexx
@guinness

Is that because the cell is an iChlor?? I don't have much background with the iChlor..

The IntelliChlor requires that the power be removed when the pump is not being told to run and it requires the use of the pump/filter relay. It is stated in the manuals, as well as a sticker on the SWCG transformer. And the IntelliChlor uses RS-485. SWCG systems normally require two safety systems. The primary being that the power is removed when the pump is off, or not running, and the secondary is the flow switch.

As far as correcting me.. No problem, as I've made about a hundred mistakes this morning alone.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're not wrong Jim, but Pentair has the following in the IntelliConnect installation guide for both the IntelliChlor and iChlor.

When an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG is wired to IntelliConnect via RS-485, a power connection to the load side of the pump relay is not required. Digital commands sent from the IntelliConnect to the SCG will not allow chlorine production when there is low power or no power on the filter pump relay or when the IntelliFlo is not running.

If you did want to have the additional protection then you would be able to use a relay, setting it as flow-dependent - which would also work for non-Pentair SWCG systems too. However as you already stated, you're limited to only two relays in the IntelliConnect. Pentair could've avoided this by having another dedicated flow dependent relay (like EasyTouch/IntelliCenter) but they chose not to.

284e32d6-71af-486e-a195-e8f318308d1f-jpeg.128748

C,

I run my 3 HP IntelliFlo, 24/7, most of the time at 1,200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.. You don't have to run 24/7, it just works for me.

At 1200 RPM it runs my SWCG and my skimmers work fine.

At 1200 RPM, it uses 173 Watts. My IntelliFlo is about 6 years old. I think the newer ones are even more efficient than mine.

How much more efficient do you need to be?? :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.