New Build in The Woodlands TX - Update: Landscaping!

pjt

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Getting ready for a new PB build in The Woodlands, TX. I'd love feedback, so please critique the design. Can't wait to get started!

Overview:
47' x 23' Free-form Pool (no spa)
4'-5'-4' Depth Profile
12" Shelf
2 x Benches
~21k Gallons

Pentair Equipment:
IntelliFlo Pump 011028
520 Clean & Clear Plus Filter 160332
UltraTemp Heat Pump/Chiller 460958 AquaCal Variable Speed SQ150VS Heat Pump/Chiller (w/ bypass)
IntelliCenter Load Center 522041 w/ i5P Personality Kit 521909 & Wi-Fi Bridge 522475Z
IC60 SWG 521105
5 x MicroBrite Color LED Lights (all facing away from the house)

Plumbing:
2 Skimmers w/ 2.5" Pipe (each separately plumbed to the pad)
8 Returns w/ 2.5" Pipe for the long segment back to the pool
Unions for all equipment at the pad
Minimum 18" straight pipe before the SWG
Center water feature 3 x sheers & 2 x flanking Venetian bronze spouts embedded in wall
No Main Drain
No Suction Port
1/2" Injection Port for Stenner Pump (after SWG)
Jandy Neverlube Valves
Fill line controlled by sprinkler controller (as a zone)
Overflow line

Electrical:
Pentair Load Center (w/ HEPD 80 surge protection)
GFCI at pad and pavilion
Extra 2" empty conduit to pavilion
Light at equipment pad
Volt Lighting 300W landscape lighting transformer
7 x Volt Lighting hardscape lights embedded in wall

Deck:
1,100 square feet white travertine Versailles pattern
Deck and area drains w/ 4" drain pipes to street
Contrasting travertine coping
Removable hand rail

Miscellaneous:
Pentair Warrior SE Robot Cleaner
12' x 12' Pavilion w/ 2 x sconces, 2 x ceiling flood lights, 4 x can lights, ceiling fan, GFCI outlets
5 x Umbrella sleeves
Backyard faces east (pool will be mostly in the shade during the hot Texas afternoon)

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg

Last edited:
pjt,

Make sure you buy the IntelliCenter packaged with the IC60.. It comes with an internal power supply for the SWCG as well as a couple of IntelliValves.

Everything else looks pretty darn good... I suspect you have been reading this site pretty well.. :mrgreen:

One of the best initial quotes I have seen.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

pjt,

Make sure you buy the IntelliCenter packaged with the IC60.. It comes with an internal power supply for the SWCG as well as a couple of IntelliValves.

Everything else looks pretty darn good... I suspect you have been reading this site pretty well.. :mrgreen:

One of the best initial quotes I have seen.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I didn't see any IntelliCenter bundles that had the IC60 (I only found bundles with the IC40), so this IntelliCenter will have to be built à la carte. The load center I'll have (522041) has the internal power supply/transformer for the IC60.

I've been planning this build for a long time, trying to incorporate all the recommendations, best practices, and lessons learned from the immensely helpful TFP community (and experience with my previous pool in California). Thanks for the reassuring feedback. :)

Reactions: RU4Cycling2
I agree with Jim, one of the best pool pool quotes at the onset we've seen. My only suggestion since your pool is such a large size is to plan ahead for the plug you'll use for the pool robot. The cord is about 60' if I recall correctly so you'll want a GCFI plug around the midway point, perhaps on the post closest to the pool.

Maddie

Reactions: pjt
So you have everything I would tell you to get-swim lane, places to sit, good depths, on and on and on! What are you doing for the "pretty" part?? Any BLING for me???

Kim:kim:

There will be a 36" sheer in the middle of the retaining wall above the bench, and these embedded on the columns of the retaining wall.

21.jpg

There is also a huge 100' tall pine tree west of the pavilion that's not depicted (the wall arcs around the base of the tree). After I get some privacy trees planted around the back and sides of the pool, it should look great. At night, I think it will really have a "wow" factor with the pool, hardscape lights, and landscape lights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That water feature is NICE!! Make sure to put it up high enough no one will be tempted to try to grab it.......yeah I live with one of those that would try just see if he could.

What kind of water line tile? What color plaster? Will you use tile on your steps and such to mark the edges?

I hope you don't come to hate that huge pine tree. You are going to want to use skimmer socks for sure to keep all of the tree stuff from getting into your filter.

That water feature is NICE!! Make sure to put it up high enough no one will be tempted to try to grab it.......yeah I live with one of those that would try just see if he could.

What kind of water line tile? What color plaster? Will you use tile on your steps and such to mark the edges?

I hope you don't come to hate that huge pine tree. You are going to want to use skimmer socks for sure to keep all of the tree stuff from getting into your filter.

We haven't picked out waterline tile yet. Although I'll obviously keep the pool clean and maintain proper chemistry, I'm thinking of something neutral that will hide any waterline scale, dirt, etc..

Plaster will be some variety of blue Pebble Tec. We'll have accent tiles to mark the edges of the steps, benches, and shelf.

I hope I don't start hating the pine too. :) I'd really like to keep it since it's beautiful and makes a great focal point. It hasn't been dropping many needles and pine cones in my yard, so I'm hopeful. I'll definitely have hair nets in the skimmers.

Nice specs. One area I would've changed for my build is the shelf area. Mine is about 6" deep and 4ft wide. In retrospect with the hot texas summers, I should've cut back on the deck area and made the shelf longer to fit seating. It's nice to just sit on a lounger in the pool with your feet in the water. the deck radiates heat too. Sitting over the water is cooling for those who don't want to jump in and sit on the bench.

Reactions: GDN
Running into a few snags with permits. Hopefully we'll have things cleared up soon and can start construction. You're not the only anxious to see this build! :)

Ah gotcha. Well hope it all clears up! We are in talks with PBs currently and I will say that your design and specs heavily influenced us!

Reactions: pjt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.