New Build in The Woodlands TX - Please Critique

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
:party: oh yeah! And I see you knew what to do to the hoses! Well done! I am sure you know but...........don't let the flow of water stop. Doing so could cause a ring in that new plaster.

Remember there might be a slight green tint to the water. This normal. The final water color will come about as the water is balanced and the plaster cures.

Kim:kim:

Cluckr7

Jun 19, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
:party: oh yeah! And I see you knew what to do to the hoses! Well done! I am sure you know but...........don't let the flow of water stop. Doing so could cause a ring in that new plaster.

Remember there might be a slight green tint to the water. This normal. The final water color will come about as the water is balanced and the plaster cures.

Can you elaborate on what to do with the hoses?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
When filling for the first time you want to put socks on the ends of the hoses. This does two things-helps filter the water and keep the metal ends off the plaster. You also want the hose ends as close to the main drain aka the lowest part of the pool. This will help keep the water flow from causing a channel in the new plaster.

Reactions: JMSMommy

JMSMommy

Bronze Supporter
Sep 26, 2020
Sugar Land, TX
When filling for the first time you want to put socks on the ends of the hoses. This does two things-helps filter the water and keep the metal ends off the plaster. You also want the hose ends as close to the main drain aka the lowest part of the pool. This will help keep the water flow from causing a channel in the new plaster.

I need to start making a spreadsheet of reminders....SO much to remember!

Reactions: kimkats

Cluckr7

Jun 19, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400

Kim,

Silly question but by “socks”, do you mean literally socks or skimmer socks?

Reactions: kimkats

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Not a silly question at all! Sock as in what you wear. A thick, cotton tube sock works best for this. Tape is the best way to hold them on as well. I worry the hard plastic end on zip ties could gouge the new plaster so don't advice to use them.

As you learn you will also see us suggest putting the CYA power in a sock as well. For this some have found thinner socks work better but make sure there are NO holes. Me? I use my husbands tube socks and just walk around in the pool squeezing it to help it dissolve.

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm very happy with the bronze spouts. The tile & coping crew did a great job.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reactions: NWS

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
It looks much better now since most of the plaster dust is gone. Very happy with my color selections.

NWS

May 10, 2020
TX
It looks much better now since most of the plaster dust is gone. Very happy with my color selections.
I've been following your build because I think we'll be choosing similar color selections. Did you add any shimmering sea or glass beads to the blue surf?

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
I've been following your build because I think we'll be choosing similar color selections. Did you add any shimmering sea or glass beads to the blue surf?
No, just plain Blue Surf. It looks great.

We looked at pools that had Aqua Blue and Blue Granite, but felt that Blue Surf simply looked better. There's a reason it's the most popular Pebble Sheen color.

Reactions: NWS

pjt

Gold Supporter
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
So so pretty!!! Love it all! For your raised wall and columns- did you do split travertine?
Textured split face on the walls, smooth split face (with a slightly contrasting color) on the columns.