New build in the Garden State - NJ

My first pick is the top set of diamonds. I like the idea of the diamonds being every 5th one or so. I will let you do the dimension and see what interval would work the best for your size pool.

Now my color pic is: 1st the top left (lighter blue), 2nd bottom right (blue with brown mixed in, 3rd top right (brownish) last bottom left (dark blue)

For some reason I don't care for any of the ones in the middle set. The colors just don't do it for me.

The bottom ones. I do like them but not sure they will work with what you are doing.

Kim:kim:

Hi, Thank you KK,Riley00dof for your opinion on the tiles. We told the PB we need more time to decide on the final tiles.

...but on another topic we just finalize the design of our pool. (We kept going back and forth with the PB where we wanted the sun shelf, the steps, and how big we wanted the shallow area.)

Per the PB they anticipate to start in a couple of weeks. I just hope the weather will cooperate when it does and everything goes smoothly.

Thank you everyone for your help thus far!

20180929_074959.jpg

I love everything about it!

Where is the house? I am thinking about the light across from the shelf. I worry about it shining into eyes of anyone sitting on the shelf and the outside seating on that side. I also think it might be better to have the light closer to the steps for safer night use.

Here is a link to the best and prettiest drain and drain cover: http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top it is flat so collects stuff better and any cleaner goes right over it. They also do round ones if you prefer that.

That is a goodly distance. I would think about putting a small light for the steps and shelf just to the left of the return labeled F1. Another idea would to have a pretty pole light in that area. I worry that area will be very dark at night and someone might mis-step.

Hi Everyone,

Our PB just just told us that they will be sending a crew out tomorrow (Monday) to start digging. They advised it will take 2 days to excavate if they don't run into any trouble.

After that they will schedule again to install the rebar, plumbing, and the schotcrete. (will post pics as they go) They expect all this will be completed in 2 weeks.

They will finish the plaster work and deck next Spring.

My question:

Being where we are at temperature wise in NJ (some night's 30's) do you think it will be a problem with the shotcrete curing, etc. and leaving it exposed over the winter? They also advised me i will have to water the cement after they shoot it on.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

It can sit in the winter. I was going to do my pool this way. If I went this route I was advised to fill the deep end of pool with water during the winter so the shell didn't lift out of the ground. I'm in a very similar climate as you are. You don't have to fill it but I was just advised that I should think about it the best people to talk to would be the guys to dig the shell because they won't know what kind of dirt and ground issues you might be dealing with.

I can't answer your question about the temperature. I know I poured footers and built frost walls and did flat work last fall in late October. We just protected all the block and made sure all edges of concrete were at grade or protected with heavy plastic, but in ur case it might be totally diff and nothing to do. Ask the crew who shoots.

good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I asked again about shooting the shotcrete in cold temperatures and he said it's all fine. It's guaranteed.

Well anyway, here are pics of the excavation. They were quick. Started around 8 AM and finished before 2 PM.

They used all the dug up dirt to "level" around the pool. I knew my yard was never level but after they excavated it really showed how uneven it was.

Next step is rebar, plumbing and electric.

20181022_081206.jpg
20181022_090150.jpg
20181022_104350.jpg
20181022_111939.jpg
20181022_131417.jpg
20181022_131941.jpg

Let the MUD begin! Man that was fast! Nice to have big toys to play with!

Now put on some "dirty clothes and shoes" that you don't care about and climb down into the hole. Take your plans and a tape measure. Is it wide, deep, long, etc. enough? Add about 8" for all walls and the bottom for the steel, gunite, and plaster. NOW is the time to tweak/fix as needed.

Last week they put in the rebar and yesterday the plumbers came. I wasn't happy that they came because it rained the night before and my yard was rain soaked. The truck they had really did a number on the yard. Oh well,...

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20181113_141958.jpg
    20181113_141958.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 113
Here's my equipment. I like to ask the group to take a look at it to see if everything is in order. I don't have a spa. Just an extra pump for my polaris 3900.

My other question is is it okay that my equipment pad will be below the surface (about 2-3 feet) of my pool because of the grading of my property. I had thought they would have build up/raise the equipment pad so it be closer to the surface line of the pool.

Lastly, when they finished with the equipment they ran water thru it to see if there were any leaks. Now that there is water in the system does it need to be flushed out because of the cold temperatures? I believe there is water in the pump. My concern is any water in the equipment my freeze up and cause damage.

....also in the picture where there is a black "watch" like thing between the heat pump and SWCG,... what is it for?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20181113_161354.jpg
    20181113_161354.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20181113_161415.jpg
    20181113_161415.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20181113_161421.jpg
    20181113_161421.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 110
....also in the picture where there is a black "watch" like thing between the heat pump and SWCG,... what is it for?

That is a check valve so water can only flow one way and not backflow chlorinated water into your heat pump when the pool pump is off.

There is no issue having the pool equipment below the pool but have your Builder show you how to turn the valves off so that you don't get a surprise when you go to empty the pump basket :shock:

If it's going to get cold enough to freeze then you do need to drain the plumbing. Once things warm up again make sure to repressurise the system so that you can see that there was no damage done during the time that passed.

Thanks Brian & Allen for the info. Our next step is for our town to inspect the plumbing, then the electricians come, then another town inspection,.... then the Gunite.

I'm hoping for these next steps goes smoothly so the Gunite can go on when it's not freezing weather.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.