Marlboro New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Contracts are signed and we are just waiting for permits to be approved.
We are looking/hoping to start later this month or early Oct
Will be starting this year and finishing next Spring.

Our pool stats from PB:

23' X 48' Freeform Gunite (35,000 Gallons)
3'6" to 8' DEEP
Jandy Cartridge Filter CV460
Jandy VS FloPro 2.7 HP Pump
Jandy AcquaPure SWG PLC-1400
AcquaCal SQ-145 Heater
2 Skimmers, 3 Returns
2 Underwater 500W Lights
Polaris Vac-Sweep 3900 Sport (I might change this after reading about robots.)
80-100 sq ft Sun Shelf (tweaking size)
Cobalt Quartz Finish
*We plan on using an outside vendor to build out patio using stamped concrete.
*Landscaping to be done after pool build.

After lurking and reading other members pool builds we are (once again) tweaking our
design. Once completed (next week) I will post the web draws here. (Should not affect start date)

This is our first pool and to be honest reading about how to keep a TFP seems daunting to me. Lots of pool math and testing the water for acronyms levels I can never remember (FC, CYA, CH, CC, FBI, CIA, etc.) Hopefully with experience I will get it! Also, with that said I like to thank everyone for helping with my earlier questions.

Meanwhile if anyone have additional suggestions/comments about our pool stats,... bring it on.

I will be using this thread for updates on our journey.

Congratulations on the start of your journey!

Recommendations from my end for your build:

-Swap polaris cleaner for a robot; Dolphin/maytronics are popular here
-If you have access to Natural gas or propane consider that type of heater vs. a heat pump in our area; these heat far more quickly. That is a big pool with a lot of water to heat!
-Consider swapping to LED lighting - these are far more efficient

mm,

We always recommend using a SWCG that is rated for 2 x the pool volume. We do this because cells are rated when running 24/7 at 100% output.

I believe that the 1400 is only rated for a 40K pool and makes your cell way too small for your pool. It will work, but to maintain your FC level, you will have to run it at 100% and 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Congratulations on the start of your journey!

Recommendations from my end for your build:

-Swap polaris cleaner for a robot; Dolphin/maytronics are popular here
-If you have access to Natural gas or propane consider that type of heater vs. a heat pump in our area; these heat far more quickly. That is a big pool with a lot of water to heat!
-Consider swapping to LED lighting - these are far more efficient

Thank you Gorilla for the recommendations.

I am still undecided about switching the cleaner to a robot. I will explain in another post.

We originally were going to get a gas heater but the logistics and the costs of running a gas line did not make sense.

I usually buy everything LED but we didn't care for the changing colors and was told the the standard lights would be brighter. We also don't think we will use the lights often.

mm,

We always recommend using a SWCG that is rated for 2 x the pool volume. We do this because cells are rated when running 24/7 at 100% output.

I believe that the 1400 is only rated for a 40K pool and makes your cell way too small for your pool. It will work, but to maintain your FC level, you will have to run it at 100% and 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim.

I will run this by my PB about upgrading. Can you recommend me SWCG that can run double that? I went to the Jandy website and it looks like the biggest is the 1400.

Thanks!

I think the Jandy cartridge CL580 is a bigger filter. I would suggest that one so you may have to change the filters less. I have that one and change it only at the beginning of each swim season.

I'm in NJ too and not sure what kind of temps u want in pool. On average pool will be 80ish June and later. I would look into solar for ur pool at a minimum. That's alot of water even a 400k but heater will get u half a degree an hour rise. I wouldn't be without a gas heater in NJ my wife and kids want it close to 90 our season is very short.

U def want a large swg u don't want to run ur pump 20hrs a day. Def get a robot I wouldn't part w mine for anything. Add some more returns like 6 total make them home runs use jandy neverlube valves everywhere and insist in home run suction lines in 2"

A 400000 BTU gas heater will cost you $3.60 an hour to run but a Heatpump will be considerably less. If you want to maintain a constant temperature the heat pump will be much better and cheaper in June-August. However, if you don’t need to maintain a constant temperature and are happy with 83-85 degrees you won’t have to use the gas too often in those months.

You could consider two Jandy SWGs. This way if one breaks you won’t have to pour chlorine into the pool while you are waiting for it to get fixed ( the other should suffice while running it longer

I have the Polaris 280 and like it a lot. I would stick with your cleaner rather than a robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the Polaris 280 and like it a lot. I would stick with your cleaner rather than a robot.

There is no doubt that a robot is not for everyone... but, my grab it out of the air data by reading posts here, tells me that out of 100 people that had water power cleaners and then switched to a robot, 90 of them would never go back to their old cleaner. 10 of them did not like the robot for one reason or another.

I have three robots and if one died today, I would have a new one on order before the sun when down... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

A 400000 BTU gas heater will cost you $3.60 an hour to run but a Heatpump will be considerably less. If you want to maintain a constant temperature the heat pump will be much better and cheaper in June-August. However, if you don’t need to maintain a constant temperature and are happy with 83-85 degrees you won’t have to use the gas too often in those months.

You could consider two Jandy SWGs. This way if one breaks you won’t have to pour chlorine into the pool while you are waiting for it to get fixed ( the other should suffice while running it longer

Prob w heat pump is u only have heat when it's warmer. Like now in NJ it's been cold my pool is 70 w no cover on. Heat pump won't have u swimming even on 24/7. Solar install is prob cheaper than Heat pump installed and is free pump already runs and is about same heat. I can go turn on my heater and be swimming in 90 degree water 2moro morn. Yes it costs me 2 bucks an hour but don't use it much. Nj has short season and ur lucky to see 83-85 I only see that w solar cover on fulltime without I'm lower than that unless it's upper 80s for 2 days and I have full sun all day til 5. I will be doing solar diy install in spring for sure

Just to confirm what others have said. You need a latger 400K BTU gas heater. A 119,000 BTU heater will take too long to heat 35K gallons. You need a larger SWG. And I prefer my Polaris 380 cleaner to the problems folks have with their robots.

Thank you everyone I appreciate your comments. I see merits on all your opinions. I will address some of them with my PB.

The heat pump (per our PB) should work very well with outside temp at 70 degrees and up (giving me a water temp of at around 85ish degrees). Solar heating may be an option down the road but not at this point.

Yes, our swim season is short. My expectation is to open the pool some time in early June and close about this time in Sep. (Right, not getting my money's worth.)

Just to confirm what others have said. You need a latger 400K BTU gas heater. A 119,000 BTU heater will take too long to heat 35K gallons. You need a larger SWG. And I prefer my Polaris 380 cleaner to the problems folks have with their robots.

I do agree with you a gas heater works better. But correct me if I am wrong, "yes" the heat pump will take longer to heat the water but once it does the pump will maintain that temp as long as the outside ambient temp is at a certain temperature.

I do agree with you a gas heater works better. But correct me if I am wrong, "yes" the heat pump will take longer to heat the water but once it does the pump will maintain that temp as long as the outside ambient temp is at a certain temperature.

So think about how you will run your pool. You will need to run your pump 24/7 to keep heat pump operational. That means SWG can run 24/7 and does not need to be oversized.

Night time temps are already getting below 70. Your heat pump may not be able to keep the pool warm with cool nights. It depends what your expectations are.

I run my pool from late April to mid-October. I like my pool at 86-88. I am skeptical your heat pump can do the job more than 3 months out of the year.

I also see you dont have a spa. In the early and late part of the season i dont try and keep the entire pool warm and i heat the attached spa as needed.

I am in for the build..........everyone else has the equipment covered. Can I have a pic of where this pool will be going?

Here is a link that I found to be VERY helpful when I was first starting out: TFPC for Beginners

We are here for you and looking forward to helping you learn how to care for this pool when it gets water in it!

Kim:kim:

There is no doubt that a robot is not for everyone... but, my grab it out of the air data by reading posts here, tells me that out of 100 people that had water power cleaners and then switched to a robot, 90 of them would never go back to their old cleaner. 10 of them did not like the robot for one reason or another.

I have three robots and if one died today, I would have a new one on order before the sun when down... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't agree that 90% of the people on this site actually favor a robot over a pressure side cleaner. My "grab it out of the air data" is that the same group of people tend to recommend robots while those preferring pressure side cleaners are more reticent. I also think it is a disservice to suggest to a prospective pool owner that he should get a robot without delineating the obvious cons with respect to such choice. A new pool owner is faced with a lot of decisions and likely not to research the pro and cons of a robot. Rather, he is likely to accept the recommendations of this site, which can be problematic since the advocacy for robots seldom mentions any negatives associated with that decision. For example, many people on this site have argued that robots should not be left in the water - that constant submerging can impact the life span of the robot. Well obviously that would be major consideration. Taking the robot in an out of the water every time you clean is going to be a huge pain for many people. But the recommendation for a robot almost never mentions this. Also, many people on this site have stated that the robots are too heavy to move and need to be placed on a caddy when rolling it to or from the pool. Again, this can be a huge pain for many people. Further, people who recommend robots rarely explain that the robot is generally plugged into an electrical outlet. That means that if you are going to keep the robot in the water 24 hours a day (even if that could harm the robot), there is going to be an obtrusive cord running across the deck into the pool (unless of course the pool owner has thoughtfully placed the outlet in a location that permits the inconspicuous running of the cord). But absent that information, a new pool owner won't even know to plan for that contingency. In contrast, a Polaris 280 (and other pressure side cleaners) are made to reside in the pool 24 hours a day. Mine cleans 3 hours a day without requiring me to do anything (bringing it to or from the pool). I suspect that if one has to bring a robot to the pool to actually clean it, many pools will not (on a daily basis) be as clean as mine (notwithstanding that it seems to be generally accepted that robots do a better cleaning job). Lastly, many people on this site have claimed that robots have a three year life span. My "grab it out of the air data" is that a Polaris 280 will be cheaper to purchase and maintain (although I am merely speculating on this, as I have no data).

I think this site should have a list of pros and cons with respect to robots v. pressure side cleaners that one can just send to someone inquiring about the issue (because I find the constant push to robots a bit of a disservice). Below is a year old link that has both positive and negative responses to the question. And when I read it, I certainly don't get the impression that 90% of the people recommend a robot (although admittedly there were not a plethora of responses).

Robots VS Pressure cleaners - leave in pool?

I understand that many people love their robots. I just wish a more balanced description was given to an OP who inquires.

Jim R.[/QUOTE]

guy,

It may be hard to believe, but I agree with almost everything you said.. :p

I don't think I said the 90% of the members here had a Robot, but rather that 90% of the people that switched from a water powered cleaner to a robot would never switch back...

I think robots are the best thing since sliced bread, you don't.. That is what makes this site so great, we both get to express our points of view.

Thanks for the feedback,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.