New Build in Tallahassee, FL

Jvance45

Aug 16, 2020
Tallahassee, FL
Hello,

We are building our first pool and construction is set to begin next week. We met with the PB today to review the details and I have a few questions and could really use your advice. I have been a long time reader but this is my first post.

The pool is 16x40 rectangle with an 8x16 Baja shelf on the south side. The diagram shows the pool as a 16x36 but we added 4 feet of pool length. The depth is 3 1/2 to 6 1/2. I created my own visual but please bear in mind that there is an 8x16 Baja closest to a house and a bench seat that runs the length of the pool in the deep end.

1.) After reading this forum, we decided it would be best to go with a robot and specifically, the Pentair Warrior SE. The PB quoted us for the Polaris 280 pool sweep and was surprised I wanted to make this change. My question is, should I still run the plumbing that would be required for a pool sweep (ie. booster pump and plumbing)?

2.) The PB quoted us for 1 skimmer but I insisted on 2 after reading this blog. The PB said 1 was fine but would install 2 if I wanted. He said that if I install 2 skimmers, they will each pull at half the suction because the suction will be split between the two skimmers. He felt it was unnecessary but was willing. If going with 2 skimmers, what would be the ideal location? Our shallow end is South and our Deep end faces North.

3.) We were quoted for 2 drains but I asked for a channel drain. My understanding is that the robot is less likely to get stuck and I can make it blend better. Do you agree with this or am I overthinking/spending on a drain...?

Thank you so much!

Capture.JPG

IMG_5310.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
The pool vac plumbing is something that some would say to install, but myself, I see no reason to.
Each skimmer should be plumbed back to the equipment pad with its own valve to adjust suction. The main drain should also be plumbed back to the equipment pad. The PB is saying they plan to plumb one skimmer to the other and then have just one line to the pad. Do not let them do that.
I assume you have the VS pump and SWCG included in the equipment package.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thank you for your response! Yes, VS pump and SWCG. I added a signature and hope that helps. The PB said that they wouldn't plumb one to the other so I didn't really understand how the suction would be cut in half... According to him, most of his clients just go with the package without question so he was pleasantly surprised with my requests and thoughts on several topics. This blog has been amazing!

Reactions: kimkats
Great. What is the expected volume of this pool?
No automation? With bubblers and lights, I think you will want automation.
Be sure each skimmer and the main drain have dedicated suction lines back the pad.

Thank you! I will make sure to confirm dedicated suction lines to the pad. From my calculations approximately 20,000 gallons. We are planning for Easytouch with Screen Logic. This brings me to another question with regard to pool light automation. I think it would be nice to control the light on the Baja shelf separate from the 3 additional pool lights. He wasn't sure he could get everything to sync up with the automated light patterns but was going to look into it. Do you see value in controlling the lights separately?

Any discussion on the Intellicenter? Nice part with it is no need for Screenlogic and the firmware can be updated directly.

That is something I will need to take a look at! I am green to the technology options and wonder if there is a significant price difference. I do not have a spa so don't think I will need a lot of automation. Very openminded to a best bang for the buck recommendation.

I understand. It is the newest version of automation. The replacement for the Easytouch. The ET has been around for well over a decade.

Hi @Jvance45 So nice to meet you! Not only FL but my home town too!! SWEET!!

Marty has helped you quite well with the above stuff. He is great! :hug: to Marty!

So here is my input. Make sure all of the valves and such at the equipment pad are the "good" ones. Here is an example: Amazon.com : pentair pool valve There other brands. This is just the one I grabbed first.

Make sure there is a light over the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at dark time.

That bench on the deep end worries me a bit. That may be a go to spot to cannon ball in to the pool. I worry someone may not realize the bench is there and hit it on the way down. What some people do is put corner seats in the deep end or a bench on the far side instead on there. Just something to think about.

Kim:kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.