New Build in SE PA (contract phase)

rbarci910

Aug 12, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
Hi All,

I am brand new to the pool game and looking for all the help I can get. I stumbled across this site and have already learned more about pools than I ever thought I needed to know. My wife and I have never built or owned a pool. In laws built a liner pool (north central pa) after my wife moved out. She's still bitter about that! We are in the early stages and starting to get quotes. So far we have quotes from two local builders, neither are national chains. We are waiting on a third and might possibly get a couple more. Construction-wise they are very similar. Both use 1/2" rebar, hydrostatic relief plugs, lifetime structural warranties, etc. Pool depth is tbd but will likely be 3.5ft - 6/6.5ft. I'm hoping to get help on the equipment each is offering and if there is anything else I should be asking to include. Does one package seem better than the other?

Quote #1
  • 660 sq ft gunite free form (quartz finish)
  • 90 sq ft sunshelf
  • 50 sq ft raised spa
  • Sta-Rite 53 SF Sta-Rite DE filter
  • Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump
  • Sta-Rite 333k BTU natural gas heater
  • Auto Pilot Salt System
  • Pentair 5g led color pool light ( 1 pool, 1 spa)
  • Polaris TR 35P with Booster Pump
  • Pentair Screen Logic Smart Controls
Quote #2
  • 650 sq ft gunite free form (quartz finish)
  • 100 sq ft sunshelf
  • 40 sq ft raised spa
  • Jandy DEV 60 filter
  • Jandy Flo pro 1.85 hp VS pump
  • JXI 400,000 BTU natural gas heater
  • FSOFT Fusion soft salt chlorinator
  • Jandy Watercolors LED color pool light (1 pool, 1 spa)
  • Polaris TR 35P with Booster Pump
  • iAquaLink

Thank you in advance for any help given.

Reactions: Dave1096

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Right off the bat I have come to appreciate Pentair products over Jandy. Keep all your equipment in one product line if you want ideal automation as they need to be able to "talk" to each other.

I would ditch any sweeper cleaner that requires a booster pump (higher electric costs and far less cleaning power) and get a robot. Robots use so little electricity to run compared to pressure cleaners and they also climb the walls and brush up to the water line for you. All you need is an outlet near the pool.

I've always found pool spas to be uncomfortable compared to a stand alone hot tub. A stand alone hot tub doesn't get closed in the off season. You get to enjoy soaking in hot water with snow flakes falling.....very pleasurable. We don't heat our hot tub in the summer (it has its own min temp of 85) and the toddlers love it as if its their own swimming pool.

Maddie

rbarci910

Aug 12, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
Thanks, Yippee! Any particular robot cleaner that you would recommend. The amount the PBs mark up the suction cleaner I can likely get a top robot for the same price if I buy on my own.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I'm awfully happy with the Pentair Warrior SE I've got now... its a Maytronics bot, the exact same as the S200 or Active 20.