New build in San Diego, CA

Quartzscape color is "aruba sky reflection series".

Tile is g
olden harvest, 2"x2" tiles, 3 tiles tall.

Coping is concrete "Davis Color Kailua".

Decking matches our existing patio which is "David Color San Diego Buff".

- - - Updated - - -

And some questions:

- There is no finish/cap on the spa jets or pool returns. Just a tube. Is this normal or expected? PB says thats how they do it but does look a little unfinished to me...

- Quartscape was acid washed today, and is filling now, but is a bit streakier than I was expecting. Maybe that goes away once its filled... ? Does it look ok/normal to you? We will see...

- Quartscape was also a little lumpier than I expected, but maybe its ok... Any thoughts? I.e. you can see small shadows when the sun hits it right...

Thanks for any tips!

Hey, looking good :). Colored Quartzscapes will always have some mottling of color,, but it's important to keep your chemical balance, especially in the first month, and brush a lot. Plaster dust can cause uneven splotches if not brushed. The orifices for the jacuzzi and pool inlet are just the pvc pipes, they should be smooth and flush to the surface, of course.
The color will change a lot the first month, and gets darker when filled. "Lumpy" is not good but texture is OK. It will get slightly "rougher" as more of the plaster wears off and more quartz is exposed.
Hope that helped a little,
Joel

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

We have overspray of the quartzscape on the tile all around the pool. Somehow the spa turned out really nice/clean. But there is ~120 feet of pool waterline and it all looks like this.

Is this to be expected? It seems really sloppy to me. Or am I being overly picky. I think it can be scraped off, but that's going to be a lot of work for someone...

ab0LOnL.jpg

xAEUv3m.jpg

Lots of work for someone for sure. Notice how they protected the coping. It would be much harder to protect the tile. BUT if they sprayers were the ones that had to clean up their over spray you can bet they would find a way to protect it so they did not have to :(

How is it you do not have water in the pool yet? Has it been acid washed?

Do you have your test kit yet? Let us know what the PB gives you so we can help you fill in the holes.

Here is a link to help you start your plaster up right. PLEASE run this by your PB as he is the one that holds the warranty card so....

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Here is a set of link I set up for new pool owners. It is a lot of info. so go slow. It will all start to make sense when you start using it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

> How is it you do not have water in the pool yet? Has it been acid washed?

Photos were taken during fill up. We started filling right after the plaster finished and it took about 24 hours (4 hoses!). Yes it was acid washed.

Thanks for the links - I've being slowly digesting all this info for a while now.

The PB included one month of startup/maintenance which just started today. So now the pump is running for the first time. And he's back every day for the next 3 days. Looks like I should do some extra brushing on my own.

> New plaster
>
DO NOT SWIM DURING THE BREAK IN PERIOD!

Really? That's the first time I've read that. And everyone I talked too seemed to think it's ok... We were swimming before it was even full... Hmmm...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.