New build in Houston - feedback requested please!

Bluebonnetsun

Dec 12, 2020
Houston, TX
We are about to get started with a new build in Houston, TX and would love your feedback. This would be the first pool for our family (husband, myself, two teenaged sons). The pool would be for hanging out, playing sports, and exercise (we are getting a Fastlane also). We have a small yard with a raised patio, so the configuration of the pool is kind of pre-determined.
Size: 15' x 33' rectangle
Perimeter : 110
Gallons: 18970
Depth: 4' shallow end, then gradual slope to 5', then 6' deep end
one bench in the deep end
4 entrance steps
Endless Pools Fastlane in the shallow end
2 skimmers
3 Glowbrite LED lights
Pentair 420 sq. ft cartridge filter
Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump
Pentair EasyTouch 4PSL remote system
Pentair Salt system IC40
400,000 BTU heater w/ gas hookup
Pentair Prowler 920 Robotic pool cleaner
Travertine coping and decking, sealing of travertine
Wet Edge Luna quartz finish
extra GFCI plug

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• pool C_001.jpg
    pool C_001.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 47
-You sure your sons don't want a pool deep enough to dive in??
-Ditch the Glowbrites- they've had a lot of problems and a proprietary niche so that nothing else can replace them easily. Microbrites work well.
-Skip the EasyTouch "lite" system and go with Intellicenter, which will do more for you.
- You might consider a chiller
-Make sure both skimmers and all returns are individually plumbed so you won't be majorly stuck in one gets clogged or broken.
- I think your pool will be more like 14-15k gallons. For some reason PBs always exaggerate this number.
That's all I've got :)

Maddie :flower:

-You sure your sons don't want a pool deep enough to dive in??
-Ditch the Glowbrites- they've had a lot of problems and a proprietary niche so that nothing else can replace them easily. Microbrites work well.
-Skip the EasyTouch "lite" system and go with Intellicenter, which will do more for you.
- You might consider a chiller
-Make sure both skimmers and all returns are individually plumbed so you won't be majorly stuck in one gets clogged or broken.
- I think your pool will be more like 14-15k gallons. For some reason PBs always exaggerate this number.
That's all I've got :)

Maddie :flower:
Thanks for your reply, Maddie.
Do you think the Intellicenter is needed even if I don't have a spa? My PB said I wouldn't be using all the features, so I am just wondering.
I will ask about the chiller and Microbrites.

Blue,

Any pool builder that would sell a "lite" version of the EasyTouch should be ashamed of themselves. :rolleyes: It is a pretend imitation of a real EasyTouch with very limited capabilities. It could be a typo, but any model number that has an "L" in it, is a lite version.. They do not come with a load center for all your circuit breakers nor with an internal salt power supply.

In your case it is worse, as you are also getting a salt system.. You either need a real EasyTouch or IntelliCenter with an internal salt cell power center.. it comes as a package and just makes the most sense as it is all in one box.

For the most pool owners and EasyTouch works just fine.. That said, who wants to buy the old stuff.. I suggest that you get a quote on both and go with the one that makes the most sense to you..

I assume you want to control things via your PC, Phone or Tablet.. If this is true, any EasyTouch will need an add on system called ScreenLogic.. This is what I have and it work great for me. If you go with the new IntelliCenter, then it comes with a similar system built-in for remote operation.

Why are you getting a Pool and Spa version of automation, if you will not have a spa??

If I were to build a new pool today, I would go with the IntelliCenter... That said, there is no any real advantage for me to upgrade from my current EasyTouch to the IntelliCenter.

Here are a couple of links showing the pool only EasyTouch plus ScreenLogic and an IntelliCenter, both with internal power centers..

You will love the IntelliFlo pump
You will love having two skimmers
You will love the filter..

Not sure what the "Pentair EasyTouch 4PSL remote system" is.. If ScreenLogic great!! If one of the Pentair remotes, I would change it to ScreenLogic.

I have almost the same shape of pool.. I like having the stairs off to the side and not in the swim lane.

Thanks and good luck with your pool build.

Jim R.

Reactions: Bluebonnetsun
Blue,

Any pool builder that would sell a "lite" version of the EasyTouch should be ashamed of themselves. :rolleyes: It is a pretend imitation of a real EasyTouch with very limited capabilities. It could be a typo, but any model number that has an "L" in it, is a lite version.. They do not come with a load center for all your circuit breakers nor with an internal salt power supply.

In your case it is worse, as you are also getting a salt system.. You either need a real EasyTouch or IntelliCenter with an internal salt cell power center.. it comes as a package and just makes the most sense as it is all in one box.

For the most pool owners and EasyTouch works just fine.. That said, who wants to buy the old stuff.. I suggest that you get a quote on both and go with the one that makes the most sense to you..

I assume you want to control things via your PC, Phone or Tablet.. If this is true, any EasyTouch will need an add on system called ScreenLogic.. This is what I have and it work great for me. If you go with the new IntelliCenter, then it comes with a similar system built-in for remote operation.

Why are you getting a Pool and Spa version of automation, if you will not have a spa??

If I were to build a new pool today, I would go with the IntelliCenter... That said, there is no any real advantage for me to upgrade from my current EasyTouch to the IntelliCenter.

Here are a couple of links showing the pool only EasyTouch plus ScreenLogic and an IntelliCenter, both with internal power centers..

You will love the IntelliFlo pump
You will love having two skimmers
You will love the filter..

Not sure what the "Pentair EasyTouch 4PSL remote system" is.. If ScreenLogic great!! If one of the Pentair remotes, I would change it to ScreenLogic.

I have almost the same shape of pool.. I like having the stairs off to the side and not in the swim lane.

Thanks and good luck with your pool build.

Jim R.
Thank you very much for this detailed reply. I really appreciate it and will bring it up with the PB.
Sorry for the late response - have been crazy busy at work this past week or so.
This really is a great forum.
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.