New build in DFW Area UPDATE: Fill Complete

Still no update on when the arbor is going to be built. It’s been pushed back two weeks now and it rained a lot last night. PBS scheduler texted and said no one was working today. Moments later the gas line plumbers showed and started trenching my front yard. Wasn’t even aware they were scheduled yet. I guess progress is progress.

I am just getting frustrated. Second week in a row where there is multiple days of good weather and nothing is getting done. Arbor was really supposed to be done three weeks ago. Then two weeks ago they showed up but the PB didn’t get them the plans. Then they were supposed to be out last Friday.

They haven’t even responded to my request to replace all the chipped coping their clean up crew chipped. They haven’t given me an updated time line on the arbor. The rate this is going I’m going to miss 3/4s of the pool season.

It’s about to be 20 weeks since HOA approval(no permitting required).

Last edited:
It has pretty much rained every day since my last post. Some days have been heavy.

At this point no actual work will be completed in the month of May except for an incomplete gas line run. They cannot even say for sure if work will resume on my pool next week as subs start resume working. They cannot give me any sort of schedule even though my arbor was supposed to be done around May 7-8.

At this point I am not expecting much. Probably mid to late July for plaster and startup. With the way everything is going maybe even August. Before all is said and done construction time will likely be: 25+ weeks post dig:29-30+ or since HOA approval. So much for pool season.

Last edited:
It has pretty much rained every day since my last post. Some days have been heavy.

At this point no actual work will be completed in the month of May except for an incomplete gas line run. They cannot even say for sure if work will resume on my pool next week as subs start resume working. They cannot give me any sort of schedule even though my arbor was supposed to be done around May 7-8.

At this point I am not expecting much. Probably mid to late July for plaster and startup. With the way everything is going maybe even August. Before all is said and done construction time will likely be: 25+ weeks post dig:29-30+ or since HOA approval. So much for pool season.
This weather is beyond frustrating, we feel your pain. We managed to get our waterline tile done, about half of our coping. Praying our guys show up tomorrow and for yours to as well

This weather is beyond frustrating, we feel your pain. We managed to get our waterline tile done, about half of our coping. Praying our guys show up tomorrow and for yours to as well
The project manager may pop out to check soil conditions today or tomorrow. I’m supposed to get an update tomorrow. Definitely no work happening today.

I am waiting on my arbor so the soil needs to dry out some. It was opposed to be done on May 3rd then May 7. It was an addendum I paid in full back in March. Lumber has almost doubled in price since then. Not my problem I just want it done so they can proceed to decking and finish out the project. They said there’s 4-6 weeks of work left back at the beginning of May.

My cameras picked up motion and I guess the supervisor for the crew doing the arbor was checking the soil this morning.

Around lunch a crew showed up they are starting to work in the arbor. Hopefully three can get it finished tomorrow before the next chance of rain.

Reactions: cowboycasey
2668808C-ADF2-4C47-A605-9A804C597AC8.jpeg
8x8 Posts were dug and placed. Finally some progress. Hopefully they wrap up the arbor this week and decking in the next week or two.

I am happy they got work done today and will get more done this week. I wasn’t expecting much.

And here is a separate project I have been working on.

I had my flower bed borders done with lueders choppee to match the stone on my house. They got the borders done before the 14 days of rain we had. Just finished planting new plants. I still need to do some resodding and clean the stonework(same with the stone in my house). I got a lot to projects to do this summer.

Most of my front pants got wiped out by the storm. Prior to the storm I also transplant the magnolias as they were in the way of the pool. Even though one has dropped a lot of leaves they have both had flowers bloom so they survived the transplant and the sub zero temps.

I’ve also started working on finding plants for my back yard. It’s going to be palms, agave, and feather/some form of ornamental grass.

Attachments

• 32344763-D67B-456C-9241-AAF13BF7CE31.jpeg
    32344763-D67B-456C-9241-AAF13BF7CE31.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 8175FF57-C027-4A36-81C0-85BE243C803C.jpeg
    8175FF57-C027-4A36-81C0-85BE243C803C.jpeg
    697.6 KB · Views: 84

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 338105
8x8 Posts were dug and placed. Finally some progress. Hopefully they wrap up the arbor this week and decking in the next week or two.

I am happy they got work done today and will get more done this week. I wasn’t expecting much.
I can not believe they are burying those posts.. your going to have to replace them in 4 to 8 years when they rot out... Why are they not using concrete footings with these post mounts? OZCO 56609 Laredo Sunset 8x8 Post Base Kit, (1 per Pack) - - Amazon.com

To my surprise they came out to work today. The concrete crew was out to frame, build up base and put in drains. They uh did the drains wrong so they will have to fix them before pouring the concrete. There are two problems they eyeballed the drains and they are significantly offset from each other by as much as three inches, instead of being in a straight line. The other more glaring mistake is they tied into the gutters where they currently are and not where they will be… Project manager knows and will be out to look at everything tomorrow. Changes will be made and the pour will hopefully be Friday or weather holds up. If not sometime next week.

Concrete crew couldn’t come out to fix their mistakes today because the rest of the roof is going on today. Hopefully the concrete crew is here tomorrow if the carpenters wrap up today. They seem content to work till dark. They have been here since early this morning. Hopefully the concrete work gets poured this week or early next.

Reactions: TexasTomKat
Starting to see why all the sub contractors are backed up. It’s like they enjoy doing things twice.

The messed up the gable. The peak is 3’ lower than it’s supposed to be. I’m not sure how you can be so far off. Its barely a gable at this point. Good thing they haven’t done the roofing part yet. Just the framing and sheathing. I’m also having them double check the pitch of the rest of the roof.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: kellyfair
I just shake my head…

Im so done….

They are out here “fixing” the arbor. They raised the peak of the arbor to the appropriate height but didn’t expand the opening like they should have so now the overhangs inside the gable are far bigger than they should be. Still no where close to the design or spec. Called the project manager no answer. Called the pool company to try to get the work stopped. Still not stopped. They tried to take a short cut again. Tired of it.

Beyond frustrated.

Reactions: Jmerges
So. The issue with the roof comes down to what we were shown and thought we were getting was a full gable. That wasn’t the actual design. And then the design they went with there was a lot to overhang under the gable. Then we were supposed to have can lighting in the gable but there kit possible with the design as is.
In other words its a mess. The options were to go with how they were doing it. Do no gable or do the full gable. My wife wants a gable so hopefully everything looks good with a full gable as that’s what we are going with because that’s what we thought we agreed to. They are going to eat a lot of lumber costs with having to redo a lot.

Attached is a what it currently looks like vs what we thought we were getting.

Attachments

• 24A08506-FF14-4B78-B1A2-78509F1A0670.jpeg
    24A08506-FF14-4B78-B1A2-78509F1A0670.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 97E9EA46-FDBE-475C-8602-E7C67A1ADCA4.jpeg
    97E9EA46-FDBE-475C-8602-E7C67A1ADCA4.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 89
  • A26F1A17-63A4-45EB-A072-8DF9EC6C6686.jpeg
    A26F1A17-63A4-45EB-A072-8DF9EC6C6686.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 88
  • E1B22615-81EC-4DDC-91BB-03E6A80AA162.jpeg
    E1B22615-81EC-4DDC-91BB-03E6A80AA162.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 0925561F-AA74-4B60-9D6B-1586CC3D4CCC.jpeg
    0925561F-AA74-4B60-9D6B-1586CC3D4CCC.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I have a full Gable and is well worth it. It’s more expensive which is why they probably did not do it. Good thing you caught it. See picture below for reference. This is my cover which is a full gable.

We thought about recessed lighting but decided to install dimmable led lights on each side of gable. at night it looks awesome. I’ll try and post a pic later.

Probably could install a strip of cedar to cover the light hardware. Put that on the honey do list.

Attachments

• 1AD82A60-A8C1-4B65-881A-E0FC33F84FFB.jpeg
    1AD82A60-A8C1-4B65-881A-E0FC33F84FFB.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 88
  • EBCA2FFA-69B3-47F4-9D8A-550B9D885288.jpeg
    EBCA2FFA-69B3-47F4-9D8A-550B9D885288.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 86
  • CD373DFD-777A-4FEC-8806-170E323C630B.jpeg
    CD373DFD-777A-4FEC-8806-170E323C630B.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 87
As week 24 of this often delayed build starts, I have another update on my pool. I was supposed to have decking done this week but it’s been pushed back till next week because they still haven’t fixed/finished my arbor. It will be two weeks since they started and screwed it up, and a total of six weeks when it was originally supposed to have been done. They first came out for the arbor at the end of April but they didn’t have the plans. Then it was supposed to be done on May 6-7 but they didn’t show. Then it started to rain and nothing really got done in the month of May. Keep in mind the arbor was PIF on March 26th!

At this point I feel they are slow walking it because they are ahead on money as the arbor addendum had to be paid in full and because I complain every time they screw stuff up. At this point I don’t think I’ll be swimming until Labor Day, if at all, and I definitely will be at the 32+ week mark when all is said and done.

I’m not signing off in any more payments until everything is fixed to proper workmanship on coping, tile, arbor and decking.

They have the following remaining:
Fix tile; fix coping; and fix exterior mudout

Demo part of arbor and then Redo/finish the Arbor to original specifications. Supposedly they will be here on Thursday or Friday to start working on the arbor again. They won’t be finished with it until Monday or Tuesday. I say supposedly because they were supposed to be here last Thursday and Friday to demo and fix their screwup

Decking prep - they started this before the arbor was started but like with everything they messed up. The patio part of the decking is 9” to shorts. Deck drains are not lined up properly and they put drains where the old gutters were not where the new gutter will be. Supposedly schedule for Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.

Decking - supposed to scheduled for Thursday or Friday of next week.

New equipment pad - original equipment pad shifted two inches and had to be removed. Supposed to be done with decking next week.

Install equipment - they claim they have everything but install is tbd

Finish electrical - tbd
Finish gas - tbd
Interior clean - tbd
Toe marker tile - tbd
Plaster - tbd
Startup - tbd
Rebuild irrigation - tbd
Final grade - tbd

I know I’m not the only one with problem. One of my wife’s friends started a small Reno to his pool around the end of Feb. They were redoing coping, adding more decking and building an outdoor kitchen. They were supposed to be finished at the end of April and they are no where near done. Different company. I’m not sure why PBs decided to overbook themselves, it just pisses off all their customers when projects take twice as long as they should.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.