New build in Charlotte, NC. Need equipment insight please

Amoney

Jul 17, 2020
Matthews, NC
Hello, everyone!
We are newbies, getting ready to sign a contact in the next few days for our pool. We are trying to do our homework and just want to confirm equipment selection/recommendations with y’all to ensure we are making the right choices. The biggest questions we have right now is whether to upgrade to a VSP vs what the PB currently is recommending. Our PB is saying that the two pumps basically are providing the same function as having a VSP but is less expensive in upfront costs. Is there a long term cost/upkeep we need to consider? Energy savings? Anything else we need to consider based on what is listed below? We plan on purchasing a robot cleaner. Our pool specs below:

25000 gallon Gunite with pebblesheen
50 SF Spa (8’ inside diameter) with (1) 6’ wide forward
spillover into pool
• 8 Therma-Jets
• 2 H.P. Air Blower
• 400,000 BTU Electronic Ignition Gas or Propane Heater (will heat spa and/or pool)
• (1) 1 HP Jandy Stealth Pump for Pool
• (1) 2 HP Jandy Flo-Pro Pump for Spa
• Jandy Cartridge Filter
• Jandy PDA-PS6 Handheld Controller
Jandy salt chlorinator
iAqualink for control with smart device
Autofill & Overflow Lines

Our PB is saying that the two pumps basically are providing the same function as having a VSP but is less expensive in upfront costs. Is there a long term cost/upkeep we need to consider? Energy savings?
I assume one of those pumps is for water features or the spa only? Would a single VS pump handle that when needed plus perform the normal pump needs in the pool? You asked about future, starting in July 2021, all pool pumps of 1.1THP or greater will be multi speed. So when your motors need replacing, they will be replaced with multispeed motors. Also, for continuous pumping (SWCG) needs, a VS pump can do that for 1/8th of the electricity of the SS pump.

Personally, I would install a VS pump. You may still need a boost pump for the spa, but that depends on the design of the spa. You will want to plumb so you can turn off the spillover as you will need very high pump rates to satisfy a 6' wide spillway. You might reconsider that.

I assume one of those pumps is for water features or the spa only? Would a single VS pump handle that when needed plus perform the normal pump needs in the pool? You asked about future, starting in July 2021, all pool pumps of 1.1THP or greater will be multi speed. So when your motors need replacing, they will be replaced with multispeed motors. Also, for continuous pumping (SWCG) needs, a VS pump can do that for 1/8th of the electricity of the SS pump.

Personally, I would install a VS pump. You may still need a boost pump for the spa, but that depends on the design of the spa. You will want to plumb so you can turn off the spillover as you will need very high pump rates to satisfy a 6' wide spillway. You might reconsider that.

Thanks for the reply Marty. Yes, the 2 HP pump is for the spa/spillway. We may not do the full 6 ft spillway, but are not doing a standard 2 ft spillway so will require a higher HP pump in some form. Can you explain to me how a VSP running at 1 HP uses less electricity than a SS 1 HP pump? Again, we are newbies and just trying to fully understand the mechanics and everyday use.

You would use a full rated VSP. The Jandy is 2.7 HP I believe. At the rate needed to operate the pool (not the spillover at full rate) you would use about 250wH. The 1 hp SS will use about 1kWh.

A,

If the 2 HP pump is for the spa, it will not be the pump that causes the spillover. The spillover only works when in the Pool mode..

I suspect the 2 HP pump is to run the spa jets... I don't know what your pool builder has in mind, but it would be worth making sure how he envisions the pool and spa will work..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.