New build in Charleston, SC. Updated with final pics.

K-Row

Apr 5, 2020
Charleston South Carolina
Happy 4th of July! I'm about to head to work but I hope everyone else here is relaxing and enjoying their pools this weekend.

We are back to pursuing a pool after hitting a roadblock last year in regards to design/setback issues. I was hoping we could get some feedback on the current design/quote and would love to hear any suggestions you have.

Backyard pictures:
We have also signed a contract to add a 11' x 35' (length of the house) alumawood style patio cover which should be installed in the next few months.
The decking needed for the quote below will change due this. Just waiting for an update.
On to the quote:

Pool Specifications:
-Pool Size: 14’x 38’ (After 7' tanning ledge we would have roughly 10' of shallow end, 10' of slope, and 10' of deep end)
-Pool Water Surface Area: 531 Sqft.
-Pool Water Depth: 3'6" to 6'
-7’x 14’ Sun ledge w/Entry Steps
-Plank Style or 6” x 6” Frost proof Tile at Waterline ( Your choice of dozens to choose from )
-(2) Full Size White LED Lights
-White LED Sun ledge light
-(2) Skimmer Basket
-(5) Return Lines
-Hydro static valves with VGB compliant anti entrapment drain covers
-Dual Main Drains w/Pebble Finish for high end detail

SPA:
6’ Spa Specifications: ( Listed under options on page 3 and Is Not Included in the Total)
-6 Hydra Therapy Jets
-Plank Style or 6” x 6” Frost proof Tile at Waterline ( Your choice of dozens to choose from )
-6” Standard Tile Veneer
-2 HP Air Blower for air to water therapy mixture
-2 Hydro static Main drains
-White LED Light
- Spillway
-Hayward 400K BTU Gas Fired Heater ( Also has capability to heat the pool )

Coping on Pool & Spa:
- Travertine Stone Coping ( Premium Grade, Choice of Colors, Ivory or Noche )
-Custom Cut and Bullnosed Travertine Coping for Pool Shape

Cleaning Systems:
-Manual Vacuum Head & Hose Cleaner Tools
-Pre Plumb Pool for Automatic Cleaner
-3 Months of Free Pool Service and Maintenance

Pool & Spa Interior Finish: -Wet Edge Signature Matrix Pebble Interior Finish w/ 15 year surface warranty
-( Your choice of 10 standard colors )
-( Most durable and high end interior surface on the market )

Decking: -$8,360 Allowance towards Broom finish concrete decking Is Included. Based on current market pricing at this time will be 757 sqft. Your design is conceptual only and the final total price will be determined when the final deck layout is performed onsite at the time of install using current market pricing at that time.
-35’ of Deck drain

Sanitation System:
-Digital Salt Chlorination System w/Automatic monitoring

Pool & Spa Filtration & Equipment:
-Hayward Eco Star Variable Speed Pump ( Huge $$$ energy savings per month ) -Hayward Smart Filter, 600 sq ft Filter treated with Microban® ( Only Filter to prevent Mold Growth & Algae )
-Hayward PS8 Automated Control Panel System
-Wireless Waterproof Remote Control Pad w/Digital Display
-( Able to control everything on Pool & Spa from inside of home )
-Antifreeze Protection on Pool & Spa
-Deluxe Test Kit, Leaf Skimmer, Thermometer, Telescopic Pole & Brush equipment

Pool & Spa Construction:
-Well Points or Dewatering during excavation for underground water
-All permits, construction plans, plan fees and taxes
-Waterproof Gunite Shell
-57 Stone gravel base for water management under gunite shell
-2” Scheduled 40 PVC Plumbing Lines, Pressure Tested Lines
-Gunite Reinforced with Premium Grade 60 Steel Rebar
-Gunite 8” Structural Walls and Floor at 4000 PSI application
-Gunite 10”-12” Wide Structural Bond Beam on Pool
-All Electrical Work 100’ Run & Inspections Included
-Remove excess dirt from site if required
-Clean up of construction Site
-Complete Start up Orientation w/Chemicals & Water Balancing
-Workers Compensation, General Liability, and Property Damage Insurance -Transferable Lifetime Structural Warranty

Optional Items Below:
-6’ Spa Raised 18” w/6” Tile veneer………………………………...……………$14,648.00
-Color Logic LED Upgrade for Pool (each)………………………………………$420.00
-Color Logic LED Upgrade for Spa…………………………………………….. $400.00

Not Included Items:
Fence / Gates / Door Alarms
Landscaping / Irrigation / Grass Repair
Tree or Tree Stump Removal if Required
Fill Dirt / Retaining Walls
Gas Line to Gas Heater w/Hook Up
CAT 5 Wiring if Omni Logic System is Chosen
Pool Equipment Screening if Required
Underground is Unknown
Reroute Underground Utility Lines or Drain Lines if Required
HOA / ARB Application Fees

Attachments

• design pic edit.jpg
    design pic edit.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 93
  • design layout.jpg
    design layout.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I am surprised the quote shows an EcoStar pump. Those are discontinued and replaced with the TriStar. The EcoStar had nothing but problems.
Be sure the SWCG is rated for at least 2X your pool water volume.
Why a remote control pad for the automation? You can use an old phone or tablet as a dedicated remote for the automation. I would research that.

Antifreeze Protection on Pool & Spa
-Deluxe Test Kit,
I am also in Charleston. Not sure what the Antifreeze protection is, but all you need to do for our climate is run the pump at the lowest setting overnight to move the water and keep it from freezing. Regarding the test kit, do you know what test kit it is? If it's not a Taylor 2006C or above, it is not adequate for true testing.

Well Points or Dewatering during excavation for underground water
Great that the quote includes this. Depending on where you are in the area, this is critical.

I am surprised the quote shows an EcoStar pump. Those are discontinued and replaced with the TriStar. The EcoStar had nothing but problems.
Be sure the SWCG is rated for at least 2X your pool water volume.
Why a remote control pad for the automation? You can use an old phone or tablet as a dedicated remote for the automation. I would research that.
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely ask about the pump. Not sure about the control pad...that stuck out to me as well. I'd prefer to control everything from my phone so I'll need to see what is needed for that.

Just set up the valving and automation so you can limit the running time of the spillover. You do not want the spillover to run all the time. It will push your pH up.

Signing the contract tomorrow.

My biggest worries:

1. The pool is 13' from the back door! It just seems so close but with our setbacks it can't change.
  2. The space for shallow, transition, deep. 3.5-6.0 deep We have 10.5' of shallow end, 10.5' of Slope, and 10.5' deep. Any thoughts on those lengths? We still have the option to ditch the tanning ledge to get more space. Current ledge is 7' x 14'

Last edited:
13’ from the back door is not close, if anything it might be a little far.
As far as the layout, think about how you going to use the space, it looks like a lap pool, but the sun shelf takes a lot of that space away.
Personally, I think the spa and deck lounger space should be swapped. The spa is a pretty far walk from the back door. We did a spa like that in our first pool, it was our only regret, that walk at night or when it is cold out gets very long.

Reactions: Jmerges
I agree 13' is not too close at all, but since this is what you have to deal with in regards to setbacks/easements, etc., seems like it is the perfect amount.

The picture you posted with your plat looks very similar to mine. Pie shaped lot, and a rectangle pool made it challenging to get the pool we wanted in that space. Code required the water to be 10' away from the house at a minimum, and 10 feet away from the property lines for hardscape etc. so in the end, where they placed it there were not a lot of options, so I say its perfect.

I'm over 100ft from a door with my pool. lol I even have a driveway seperating the house from the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any thoughts on the spillover spa going into the tanning ledge? I haven't seen many pools with that set up. I'd prefer both the tanning ledge and spa to be on that side due to privacy and it just fits better.
We are doing the same thing. Spa spill over into tanning ledge. Can turn off as desired. Pool will hopefully be finished in 3 weeks! What a process.👍

Signing the contract tomorrow. I'm super anxious.

My biggest worries:

1. The pool is 13' from the back door! It just seems so close but with our setbacks it can't change.
  2. The space for shallow, transition, deep. 3.5-6.0 deep We have 10.5' of shallow end, 10.5' of Slope, and 10.5' deep. Any thoughts on those lengths? We still have the option to ditch the tanning ledge to get more space. Current ledge is 7' x 14'
Our back sliding door is a little over 12’ to pool edge. Will have patio cover for shade.

Here is my timeline so far:

Initial contact with builder: 5/27/21
First design sent: 6/4/21
Final Design: 6/14/21
Contract signed: 7/12/21
HOA Approval: 8/2/21 (delayed due to builder forgetting to send documents for 3 weeks)
Contacted to set up Layout meeting: 9/9/2021 (Permits still need to be approved but builder wants to schedule the meeting anticipating the approval)
Layout Meeting: 9/22/21
Permits Approved: 9/27/21
Excavation Started: 9/28/21
Gunite: 10/15/21

Very excited to get this process started. We happened to stay at an Airbnb recently that had a pool that is very close to what we are building. Spa was slightly bigger (7' x 6' vs 6' x 6') and the pool was the perfect length but 12' wide vs 14' wide (Huge thanks to my new sister in law for bringing the measuring tape lol) All it was missing was the tanning ledge. Really hoping we are swimming next summer!

Last edited:
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Dig Day started on 9/28! Things are starting to move fast. Builder says they caught up much quicker than expected and are ready to go. They think we will be in the spa...and pool if we are brave by Christmas...we'll see. I've seen too many horror stories to believe it. Check back in 2022! We picked our colors the other day as well: Silver Travertine coping, Cadet Blue Pebble Signature Matrix, 6x24 unicom overall hemp tile, and silver splitface for the raised spa. We also decided to make the spa 7x7 from the original 6x6.

resize3.JPGresize2.JPGresize1.JPG

Attachments

• resize4.JPG
    resize4.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
They came out and shot the gunite yesterday. Patio company also came out and got things ready to pour the patio and footers for the patio cover on Monday. Things are moving pretty fast...it looks like my fence is going to be the thing that holds up progress... I'll post about that soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPEG
    IMG_1065.JPEG
    530.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1064.JPEG
    IMG_1064.JPEG
    480.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1063.JPEG
    IMG_1063.JPEG
    387.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1062.JPEG
    IMG_1062.JPEG
    462.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1061.JPEG
    IMG_1061.JPEG
    464.9 KB · Views: 55
We got permission from the HOA to build our fence back towards the pond that is on the HOA property...as long as we give up a 6' clearance on one side of our property so the landscapers can still get back to do their job. I've been taking care of the "HOA" property since 2009 when I built. No one comes back there and it doesn't back up to anyone's property. The HOA has no issues with me building my fence on their property. They understand that it is unused land to them and they appreciate that I have be maintaining it since 2009. My fence company needs a permit and wants a letter from my HOA to build beyond the property line. I'm going to reach out to our building official from our city, I hope we can come to an easy agreement since we are both giving up something. Wish me luck on Monday!

Talked to the city planner and it doesn't appear they really care about the fence placement as long as the HOA is on board. That's a relief.

Concrete deck was poured by the patio cover company. Not sure when they are going to do the cover portion.

Plumbing is pretty much done and the tile/coping should be complete next week. The builder sent the first delivery of travertine coping back since it wasn't up to his standard. Next delivery should come in Monday.

They did have to demo one of the skimmers and reset it since it wasn't level after gunite. Any concerns there?

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    460.8 KB · Views: 54
  • deckpool.JPG
    deckpool.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 57
  • equipment.JPG
    equipment.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 61
  • long.JPG
    long.JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 62
  • spa.JPG
    spa.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 56

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.