Central Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I thought I'd start a new thread to track the build, since my previous thread was more about PB and design/equipment choice.

Here is where the pool will go. The deck, and two of the trees, will be removed.

1593695971495.png

And here is the plan.
  • 469 sq/ft
  • 89' perimeter
  • 21'4" x 31'3"
  • 14,203 gallons
  • 3.5ft - 4.75ft - 6ft
  • 3-Ton boulder waterfall (8' x 2.5' x 3')
  • 365 sq/ft of new concrete decking
  • Sundek over new and existing (under the roof line) slabs

Here are the 3D images. Some changes we made, which aren't reflected in the images .... we changed the coping to be large 2' long flagstone pieces instead of the random sized pieces. We added 2x2 trim tile package, and the flagstone decking under the trees is actually a mistake in the image, and shouldn't be there. There will be a flagstone walkway from the deep end bench though, leading back to the decking on the left side ... so a curved pathway through the trees.

Design 2 - 7.jpg

Design 2 - 2.jpg

Design 2 - 3.jpg

Yesterday, we went and chose our materials, and here they are.

The coping will be flagstone (right side of pic), but we opted for the "select" flagstone package. This just means the stones will be cut into 2ft long single rectangle pieces, instead of random sized chunks. We also opted for the tile trim package, which is 2" tiles (same tile as the 6" waterline tile) to be installed along the tanning shelf, steps and bench edges.

1593695026285.png

• Waterline tile: 6x6 Gemstone GMS-Blue
  • Trim tile: 2x2 Gemstone GMS-Blue
  • Grout: 42-Platinum
  • Coping: Flagstone - Select - Taupe/Sante Fe
  • Boulder Coping & Waterfall: Large Moss Rock
  • Decking: Fran Tan Sundek
  • Plaster: Blue Surf pebbleSheen
  • Lt. Grey PVC fittings
We began the wooden deck removal last weekend, and at this stage, looks like we need to have it gone and the area ready for layout and excavation to start by the end of next week.

It's moving a lot faster than we thought it would :D

Reactions: Autie and Lineman7
Not gonna lie, I liked that deck with the Oaks hanging over. Kind of a shame to see it go, but I'm sure the pool will be wonderful. We'll watch for build up-dates and pics as you go. Have a nice 4th. :salut:

Ya, it's kind of bitter sweet. I built the deck as a labor of love, 11 years ago, just in time for my daughter's 2nd birthday party. That tree over the deck held a baby swing for my son (he was born the year I built the deck). So taking the deck down, and that tree, does feel a bit weird ... but, we're moving forward into the next phase of life :)

During design discussions, my wife mentioned accounting for grandkids LOL ... this is our forever home, so it's definitely good to be thinking ahead.

Happy 4th to you as well!!
🎇🇺🇸🎆

Reactions: Texas Splash
The excavator is now scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, so we're ramping up our demo. Made good progress over the past couple of days .. still a bit more to go. When I built the deck, I screwed everything together. So I'm taking a bit longer to unscrew everything and reclaim the wood. I figure I can use it on other areas around the property. Or maybe, for a pool equipment shed? Not sure yet ...

1593799836753.png

We're now ready for the layout and excavator tomorrow. It was a bit bitter-sweet, taking the deck down and those two trees; but we know it'll be worth it when it's done :)

Hopefully the PB can start the dig ASAP and we don't have to wait long for an operator to be assigned to our project.

Before:

1594126594669.png

After:

1594126540097.png

Wow. What a change. And it was brutally hot this weekend. Yikes.

I'd say! We had 105*F temp with heat index at 109*F at one point. We basically worked in the morning, until 11-12 or so ... Then went back out around 7:30/8 or so, to do a couple more hours in the evening.

There was no way I could handle working in that heat ... 20-25 years ago? Sure, I probably would have been out there all day LOL

The excavation began yesterday ... he hit a 12"-18" thick rock shelf about 18" down ... lots of stone coming out of the hole. He's moving along quickly though, and appears he may finish today :)

1594387731647.png

1594387667719.png

Design looks great - congrats! Our color palette for coping, tile and Pebble Sheen is very similar and we love it. We were lucky in that we had a large open portion of the yard for the pool and were able to keep all of the trees. 13 years later they’re still with us. Given that we have a 10’ deep diving end, I was worried we’d lose some. I added a couple of pics below if you’d like to get a sense of final product. Enjoy!
1594395403091.jpeg
1594395437292.jpeg

Design looks great - congrats! Our color palette for coping, tile and Pebble Sheen is very similar and we love it. We were lucky in that we had a large open portion of the yard for the pool and were able to keep all of the trees. 13 years later they’re still with us. Given that we have a 10’ deep diving end, I was worried we’d lose some. I added a couple of pics below if you’d like to get a sense of final product. Enjoy!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks like your coping is exactly what we chose.

Have you noticed any degradation of the flagstone coping with the SWG? It doesn't appear so, looking at the pics. I wonder if the stone up there comes from different quarries than it does down here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you noticed any degradation of the flagstone coping with the SWG? It doesn't appear so, looking at the pics. I wonder if the stone up there comes from different quarries than it does down here.

Our coping is Oklahoma flagstone, which is very common around here. I’ve only had erosion from the salt water in a couple of places: once where I let a part of the winter cover trap moisture in a pad on the spa and when using PVC misters to try and cool the pool down. Wind would blow the mist onto the stone causing minor pitting. Bigger issue was it was killing some landscaping. Glacier chiller fixed that. Other than those self-inflicted issues, no erosion problems. The salt will rust any nearby metal, though. I have to treat and repaint the base of my diving board every 2-3 years.

Reactions: Stoopalini
Well, excavation is now complete. Is there anything besides the dimensions I should be checking at this phase? My PB does 12" walls and floor, so I'll look for +2' in the width/length dimensions, and +1' in the height ... but wasn't sure if there's anything else I should be checking prior to the steel rebar cage being built.

1594415797525.png

And just when I thought all we had in common were pools in Texas, you change your avatar.

See some of mine: papafoxden
Nice! Between my wife and I (shes a bassist and cellist), we have a few instruments laying around LOL!

BTW: Great taste in music 🤘

See Build Thread HERE.

So after doing more and more research, I'm changing my initial plan from using a HASA Liquidator and Pentair acid injection system, in favor of larger tanks with Stenner pumps instead.

One reason I was leaning otward the Liquidator is due to the liquid chlorine sitting below a volume of pool water. I thought this would be better than a tank of chlorine, like a stenner pump. I *thought* the benefit of this was that the sodium which results from the liquid chlorine bed would be contained in the Liquidator, instead of being added into the pool. But the more I read, the more I think I'm misunderstanding how this works.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I need, and where to get it from. There are so many different pumps, I'm just not sure what I need to purchase.

I'd like a liquid chlorine tank large enough where I don't have to be filling it several times a week. So is 30gal the way to go here? Space isn't really an issue for me. Is there any drawback to having 30gal of 12.5% chlorine (or 8% - 10% if using bleach) sitting in a tank for extended period of time? The tank will be on my equipment pad, on the side of my house, with a sun cover built overhead.

For acid injection, I can get away with a smaller tank, right? Considering the consumption of the acid is much less than the liquid chlorine. Is 15 gal appropriate for this?

And where can I purchase tanks with pumps already mounted, along with the hose and fittings I need to plumb it in? I'd like to connect it to the EasyTouch system, if possible. I realize it's best to connect it to the pool pump relay, so the injection cannot happen when the pool pump isn't circulating. But what else is needed to ensure a proper dosing? Is it just a factor of volume x time? Do I get a variable speed, or fixed speed?

My pool is under construction right now, and plumbing is scheduled for next week. So I'd like to have the tanks on hand for the equipment pad layout if I can manage it.

I've read a bunch on this approach, and have learned a lot ... but am still unsure as to what model of pumps I should be purchasing. I also sent a message to Stenner Tech Support through TFP private message, but figured maybe a general post might help as well.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are killing me LOL ....

1594510549457.png

I promise, I am not starting multiple threads on the same subject. It seems 2 mods disagree as to where this should be posted maybe?

• Haha
Reactions: Auburn02
One concern I would see for a large chlorine tank would be our heat. I have no idea how well they are insulated though.

Ya, that was my thought too. If the tank is air tight though, shouldn't it be ok? The Stenner tanks aren't really insulated, just polyethylene plastic with UV protection.

You guys are killing me LOL ....
Yeah, a couple of us stepped on each other's toes. Let's just leave it for now. If you don't get any bites on that specific question, maybe we'll try something else later. I know you're on limited time with the build and all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.