New build in central CA

Aug 8, 2012
We built our house about 2 years ago and are finally ready to take the plunge and get an inground pool put in. We have our first builder coming next week to take a look at my property and then email us a quote/etc. I wanted to get some advice on a few things.
#1: we have a large yard (see attached) but really don't want a large pool. Something small enough for the kids to splash around in since we can swim usually April - late Oct where we live and tucked into the back corner of our yard. Would 12 x 24 or 15x28 be too small? We also would like to keep both initial build and upkeep costs down by going with a simpler smaller pool. We have a swing set and trampoline in our yard and don't want it to seem overcrowded by adding in a large size pool. We are currently using one of the costco pools that are 18x9ft and this is just way too small for our family of five and a pain to put up/take down each year.
#2: we haven't had much luck over the last year getting any pool builders out to us since we live in a smaller town about 30 miles away from any larger city. How can I get an accurate idea of what the average cost for building a pool in my area is if I can't get multiple quotes. I've tried asking several acquaintances and friends what they paid for their builds but some don't seem open to talking about it (which is ok!). Someone told me they paid 30k for their very basic concrete pool with a tanning ledge in my area. We're willing to go up to 45k. Are we just dreaming here or should we hold off and save up a bit more money?
#3: I'm seeing a lot of people go with free form pools but we would pref a more geometric one (I attached pools similar to what we want). Are free form pools more desirable? Are geometric pools more budge friendly? The pool example with the cover and the waterfalls is pretty much exactly the shape and layout I want with a few minor changes to lower the cost. Can anyone estimate the size of this pool?

Attachments

• d34a0833d6f65f99bf069cb3854a7073.jpg
    d34a0833d6f65f99bf069cb3854a7073.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 22
  • Small-Pools-For-Small-Yards.jpg
    Small-Pools-For-Small-Yards.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 23
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 24
  • house2.png
    house2.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
Do you plan on staying in this house? Consider how the kids will grow and want friends to join them in the pool also. Will a small pool be "too small"?

Do homebuyers expect a pool in your area? An undersized pool may be a turn off. Or if a pool is unusual in your area it may be just the thing for a single couple or older couple.

Have you considered a fiberglass pool? They tend to run smaller then custom pools. And faster to build usually.

Gotta consider all the variables when you put a pool in, IMO.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: AMLCpoolgal
Do you plan on staying in this house? Consider how the kids will grow and want friends to join them in the pool also. Will a small pool be "too small"?

Do homebuyers expect a pool in your area? An undersized pool may be a turn off. Or if a pool is unusual in your area it may be just the thing for a single couple or older couple.

Have you considered a fiberglass pool? They tend to run smaller then custom pools. And faster to build usually.

Gotta consider all the variables when you put a pool in, IMO.

Maddie :flower:

thanks for the input!
We plan to stay in this house for quite some time. Houses with pools in my area tend to sell much faster than houses without them. Would a 15x28 pool still be seen as a small pool? I'm not really sure what the average size is. As far as fiberglass goes it appears to not be common in my area, all the builders I have spoken with only do concrete. I'd also be concerned that it wouldn't fit down the side of my house without the help of a crane which would be a substantial additional cost I think?

Ok, good points about the fiberglass idea. A pool only 28' long doesn't allow for really a lot actual swimming. I would imagine a pool 16x32/34ish to be a bit more "medium" sized.
Also consider if you want a deep end? Great for diving and kids *love* to dive and cannon ball.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.