New Build - Houston, TX (Heights) - Finished Build!

Best of luck on your build neighbor (I'm in the Heights as well)! I'm in the design and PB selection phase right now. It's a bit overwhelming, but this site is definitely helping out. You mind sharing who your builder is and how you selected them? From what I've seen I think discussing specific builders is frowned upon in the forum, so maybe PM me??

Reactions: kimkats
Well...after the initial layout inspection, we ran into an overhead issue with the neighbors power line going to his house, so redesign, resubmitted plans to the city, revised permit, new layout and now finally passed inspection (only a 3 month delay in starting), so dig and gunite scheduled for mid May. At this point I am just hoping to get a pool this summer. Revised Layout - final.jpg

Reactions: BeMoore01
Well...after the initial layout inspection, we ran into an overhead issue with the neighbors power line going to his house, so redesign, resubmitted plans to the city, revised permit, new layout and now finally passed inspection (only a 3 month delay in starting), so dig and gunite scheduled for mid May. At this point I am just hoping to get a pool this summer. View attachment 328127
Hello! I love these renderings of your pool. We are in the process of researching builders right now and would like to know who your builder was? There are so many out there and it's hard to know how to choose. You can PM me if its more appropriate. Thank you so much!

Finally got the hole dug...wow, that was a long painful wait, so dig was completed on Friday (June 18) and they came and flashed the pool Saturday morning, which I thought was a great idea as we can get a bit of rain in Houston...Hopefully gunite will be completed in the next 5 - 7 days or so. I am also using a Reolink camera to do a time lapse, so wish me luck on that!

Attachments

• 20210618_084311.jpg
    20210618_084311.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-20210618-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20210618-WA0017.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210618_131047.jpg
    20210618_131047.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210620_080948.jpg
    20210620_080948.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210620_081001.jpg
    20210620_081001.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 74
  • backyard_live_1624019469308.jpg
    backyard_live_1624019469308.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 77
  • backyard_live_1624025058103.jpg
    backyard_live_1624025058103.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: HermanTX
SWEET!!!! Now run out there with the plans and a tape measure. Is it long, deep, wide, etc enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed.

I am SO glad they flashed the hole. That will save them a bunch of work and effort when it rains. Smart move on their part.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Herkimer
SWEET!!!! Now run out there with the plans and a tape measure. Is it long, deep, wide, etc enough? Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. NOW is the time to fix or tweak as needed.

I am SO glad they flashed the hole. That will save them a bunch of work and effort when it rains. Smart move on their part.

Yeap, already checked all decisions/depths, etc. I was right out there with them with my tape and a set of the plans!

Even better! They could fix it if needed right then and there! Did you find anything they needed to redo or do?
Nothing to redo or do per se, but needed clarification on height (top of gunite) and some dimension discussion with the spa. My Project Manager was there checking as well, so between her and me we ensured the dimensions were per the plan/layout. The excavation crew were consistently checking for squareness of the forms, they had a laser level checking top of forms and depth of dig, I was checked all as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rebar got installed today, happened fast...one more step completed, can't wait for plumbing and elec. rough in and get this pool to gunite! Two inches of rain this evening was not so helpful, flashing seemed to help out quite a bit, we will see what it looks like in the morning.

Rebar-21JUN21.jpg

So got the rough plumbing and elec. completed today....looks a little rough after the rain, but it is what it is, it will get cleaned up and hopefully the gunite will get shot soon!!

rough plumb and elec.jpg
Dig-Water-22JUN21.jpgspa rough plumb.jpgbubblers rough plumb.jpg

Reactions: kimkats
Make sure that one leaning so hard can be straightened up. Also look at what the water depth will be inside the spa with the drains being set on top of the rebar instead of under it. I think the shell will be about 5 or so inches so you will lose quite a bit of water depth.

Also look at the shelf with the bubblers to make sure they do something to make sure it is level and there is a bit of room under the rebar to the dirt under it. That will allow the concrete to get all the way around the rebar.

SWEET!!!!

Don't forget to bond with your new pool! aka water the shell to help slow down the curing.

Now it is time for YOUR set of links!!!

The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Reactions: Herkimer
So 15 days from starting on June 18th (dig) with the pool build, the gunite was completed June 26th, yesterday (July 3rd) all my equipment showed up while they were rough plumbing, so they just installed all the equipment - pumps, heater, filter, auto fill and installed the gas line. (I was a little worried that equipment would be an issue as some many have reported "out of stock") The balance of the equipment is setting in my office (sheer decents, lights for pool, spa and bubblers, automation panel). Need to talk with PB about the sheer decents as they should have LED's and they delivered a Easytouch 8 w/IC40 integrated, however quote was for Intelletouch (huge difference?). Now my backyard is official a muddy mess! I will attempt to do some clean up in the following days...if it doesn't rain!

Equipment set.jpgequipment.jpg

Reactions: jjbradley
they delivered a Easytouch 8 w/IC40 integrated, however quote was for Intelletouch (huge difference?).
I think the IntelliTouch is newer technology than the EasyTouch. The EasyTouch with ScreenLogic (I see that in your pictures) is first product offered by Pentair for automation.
Maybe @Jimrahbe can provide some clarification of the difference of an IntelliTouch over an EasyTouch.

UPDATE - EDIT - I found this on a 2009 post
The IntellTouch is a component system, whereas the EasyTouch is a "pre-packaged" system. Think about buying a box system stereo from WalMart where you get what comes in the box (EasyTouch) versus going to a stereo shop and picking the components you want (IntellTouch) and building your own system. A lot of people are selling the EasyTouch now (it is a good system) because it is easier to price (they do not have to add up the components) and it is a cheaper system, which makes them more "competitive" on their bids. There is even an EasyTouch system that "throws in" the SWCG, so a lot of folks use that as a selling point ("if you buy this unit they will throw in the IntelliChlor for free!").

To really get educated on both systems, go here: www.pentairpool.com. Read up on both systems and then you can see which one suits you best. You really will not go wrong with either one, but the options are definitely greater on the IntelliTouch, if you think you may need them in the future.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.