NEW BUILD!! First Pool! (About plaster time!!)

Tpettit

Gold Supporter
Sep 21, 2020
Springdale, Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am building a 20x40 rectilinear gunite pool with a pop out for tanning ledge and steps. I have worked on the design myself but have a PB completing the project.

I attached some pictures to solicit some advice on paver brand, style, and most specifically color!?!i included front pictures as well so you can get a feel for the style of the house

If you have paver pool deck suggestions, please show me a picture of your pool deck, I’m sure there is something out there that will grab my attention!

The brick is mostly gray with some white “wash”and some light beige or brown as well. The pool house and back patio has some stone in charcoal and gray colors with light colored grout.
I originally was looking at stamped concrete to match the covered patio but I am thinking about pavers for all of it if I can find some that I like.

Also, ideas on the walkways to the pool deck from house and pool house? It’s kind of a big area which comes with my responsibility to make sure it is tied together and looks nice...
Any feedback is much appreciated!4877B293-6D0A-4C71-BDDE-9BB9A4401279.jpeg0E15317E-B65E-47EA-A02F-4495D7709D1E.jpeg53B80260-993C-496D-A87C-5B4D6C1BB5DD.jpeg19ACB323-A0FA-457E-86CB-5B0D508F7B4B.jpeg79525047-0092-4D11-A925-571E464BAD11.jpegCB608A93-F01B-47E2-BFD5-5D3B74FA80EC.jpeg615D9C08-CF0F-4C12-9862-F58031A3ED63.jpeg

Last edited:
T,

I can't help much on the pavers, but when you get a chance post a bigger pic of the drawing and tell us what you have in mind for the equipment..

How may skimmer and how many returns, etc.

Most importantly, how do you plan to chlorinate your pool?

I have stamped concrete and wish now that I had gone with pavers.. A much nicer (richer) look...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Where I am the pavers done right seem to cost more than stamped concrete, but I think I will be happy if I can find the right type of paver and color etc...

I will post more details of the pool and proposed equipment in the morning!

Thanks,

T

What I know about coping is most are from stone .. . And stone degrades in salt water. EDIT: You have to know your stone and a stone like granite is a better choice. So if you're planning a salt water pool, you need to research. Again, there are different types of stone. There are some good coping videos on youtube. And I found a good thread on this site to share:

Here is one recent thread with 'natural' tile colors.

Really, you can research all day and still find tons of stuff to read. Just saw this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tpettit
Hi there!
my pool is *so close* to being done but is very similar to yours (20x40, 20x7 tanning ledge) so I thought I’d post some pics. Although we went with River Silver (Leonardo in my region) travertine for our coping/decking, it has a great mix of tan/grey. Our waterline tile is NPT Veracruz Crema. We just had our pebble finish sprayed today and tomorrow is acid wash and filling! We went with Stonescapes Tropics Puerto Rico blend with extra blue blend glass added. But here’s some under construction pics.
D8769519-95A3-46AD-97BB-0AFE6A1C1A02.jpeg
41B6939E-6CFE-4956-82E3-8A35B78E634B.jpeg
Sorry this pic is giving me trouble. We have a bench on the other side of the tanning ledge in the deep end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you putting in a fence?

I would consider snugging the pool up to the house. We had the option of moving the pool away from the house as well and I can't tell you how happy we are we moved it close to the house. The pool will see much more use if it close, you will tend to maintain it better, you can keep a better eye on children and guests, you can enjoy the shade from the overhang pool side, I would much prefer to see my TFP blue water instead of viewing grass, having more grass behind the pool gives a more stunning view from the house, having the water closer just seems to make it feel cooler.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can click the link in my siggy for pics of our pavers.

Are you putting in a fence?

I would consider snugging the pool up to the house. We had the option of moving the pool away from the house as well and I can't tell you how happy we are we moved it close to the house. The pool will see much more use if it close, you will tend to maintain it better, you can keep a better eye on children and guests, you can enjoy the shade from the overhang pool side, I would much prefer to see my TFP blue water instead of viewing grass, having more grass behind the pool gives a more stunning view from the house, having the water closer just seems to make it feel cooler.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can click the link in my siggy for pics of our pavers.

We are putting in a fence towards the end of the build, but it will be for the majority of the back yard area. I think we may move it a little closer to the house but our “shop” is going to end up being a finished pool house so we want to have it relatively close to that area too as it will support the traffic of people in and out while wet etc.. We may move it a tad closer to pool house and house to reduce distance and less materials for decking as well.

I can’t find your signature to see pictures of pavers, But I’m new on here so I’m probably missing it...

Abear,

I love the travertine, color and look is phenomenal, the prices we were quoted were 2x pavers from multiple sources. Some concerns with SWG we are going to run with deterioration, and samples were beautiful but slick compared to pavers. After thinking about total cost (3000 ft +/- including patios and walkways we are trying to find a paver that we like shape style and color. You pool is going to be beautiful! Send a picture with the water, I bet it’s gorgeous!

Sollace,

My brick has been discontinued, but we found some close matches that we will use to outline the extension of the patios to connect the walkways to the pool deck, hopefully we can tie it all in. Worried about what color and style of paver based on how much area it will be for? Need something that will look good and not be too dark!

Ok, so I got the more technical info and equipment info...

Inground, Gunite
Shape- rectilinear
Size- 20’ x 40’ swimmable area with 7’x20’ ledge and steps
Depth 3.5’- 7’ (10 in tanning ledge depth)
Gallons- 32,800
SWCG- pentair IC60 with integrated load center.
Automation: intellicenter i8p with SWCG load center (or easytouch with screen logic2)
All pentair equipment including a variable speed 3HP pump
Heater- Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU
2 skimmers with pour a lid or paver covers
4 returns
2 main drains
2 bubblers in the tanning ledge with pentair globrite LED lights
2 color changing LED lights (pentair Intellibrite)
coping-precast concrete in tan with eased edge

still trying to decide on paver brand style and color as it seems to be hard to find a color that is light enough to not scorch the feet and look good. We like the tumbled or cobble style pretty well and our house has some rock features and brick with grays and small amount of light beige too,

I need the experts to help with paver and coping choice based on what will fit with what I have in the pictures above!

Last edited:
I can’t find your signature to see pictures of pavers, But I’m new on here so I’m probably missing it.
If you're viewing on a handheld device you need to turn it sideways to get the landscape view and that will expose the signature. Here is the link..

we were considering going with the cobbled look as well to better blend with our environment, however to me the cobbled look just seems a bit too fake, like you're trying to turn a paver into something that it is not. We also did not like the feel of the cobbled paver when walking in bare feet and were concerned about it holding more dirt and grit. We chose to go with the smooth paver to lean more towards function over fashion.

Should I keep the pool centered or scoot it closer to the house as was suggested before?
Keeping it centered would seem more balanced and be more logical for the pool house, but scooting it closer to the house would eliminate the need for one if the weird walkways (still would have one to figure out.. ) and the grass between the pool and basketball court would be more useable space...

Also, thoughts on precast concrete coping to provide contrast in color and texture to our paver pool deck?

We are planning to carry the pavers up to the patio areas and walkway/s... still open on advice for those as well!

landscaping or walkways design ideas are definitely appreciated!

BBF5FF88-0C67-446D-8021-598296598D19.jpeg8DB3F8D1-A3F5-4FED-B363-20F47F3A5F5B.jpeg

Last edited:
We are getting close to digging, I will update with pictures and I’m sure questions as we go!

Quick question on automation...

If I go with an intellicenter i8PSIC60 with load center and I don’t have a spa will it present any issues for me if I am only running 1 VS pump (intelliflo)? I am having trouble getting pentair to give me a “kit” with the “pool only” version and IC60, will I still have access to all 8 automation options? Or are 2 specifically designed for pumps on a pool and spa model?

T,

The Pool and Spa model can also be used with just a pool or just a spa..

The Pool OR Spa model can only be used with just a pool or a spa, but not both...

Nothing else changes..

Getting the i8PSIC60 will work just fine for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.